An amusing Novelty patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

I got this on eBay a while back,and wanted to share it with all you fellow patch peeps.

It is a novely,or party jacket(or suit?) patch,appears to be made in Japan,60's-70's era,

I'm guessing.

I went online,and found the term "Skivvy Honcho,on a great website called"The unofficial

Unabridged Dictionary for Marines"!The slang term means a"Lothario or ladies man."

One who probably spent alot of time at a "Skivvy House",which means,according to this

website,a"brothel,or whorehouse"

Here's a link to this funny,informative website here:

The Unofficial Unabridged Dictionary for Marines

Anyway,here's the patch,not bad for 99 cents!

post-13386-1313236588.jpg

post-13386-1313236628.jpg

I got this on eBay a while back,and wanted to share it with all you fellow patch peeps.

It is a novely,or party jacket(or suit?) patch,appears to be made in Japan,60's-70's era,

I'm guessing.

I went online,and found the term "Skivvy Honcho,on a great website called"The unofficial

Unabridged Dictionary for Marines"!The slang term means a"Lothario or ladies man."

One who probably spent alot of time at a "Skivvy House",which means,according to this

website,a"brothel,or whorehouse"

Here's a link to this funny,informative website here:

The Unofficial Unabridged Dictionary for Marines

Anyway,here's the patch,not bad for 99 cents!

Have no idea what a "Party Jacket" is, never heard of one when I was in the Navy. But, this would have been proudley worn on a dungaree working jacket. I wore a "500 Missions Over $hit River Bridge" patch and a "San Miguel Beer Bottle" patch on mine.

Gerat patch, don't see those to often any more.

Steve Hesson

Patchcollector
Have no idea what a "Party Jacket" is, never heard of one when I was in the Navy. But, this would have been proudley worn on a dungaree working jacket. I wore a "500 Missions Over $hit River Bridge" patch and a "San Miguel Beer Bottle" patch on mine.

Gerat patch, don't see those to often any more.

Steve Hesson

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info!A party jacket is my way of saying a jacket that is worn off duty,and sports unofficial patches such as this. I may

have just invented a new term :)

I agree with you,it is a cool patch,some of the neatest and most imaginative patch designs I have ever seen came from the Navy.

You guys were very creative!

Hmmm,interesting.When you wrote,a "dungaree working jacket",does that mean a jacket that you would actually do work in,while

on duty?

P.S

Sounds like you where in the P.I at some point!

Patchcollector
Party Jacket, tour jacket, cruise jacket, drinking jacket, etc., all the same beast

Thanks for the clarification! :)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info!A party jacket is my way of saying a jacket that is worn off duty,and sports unofficial patches such as this. I may

have just invented a new term :)

I agree with you,it is a cool patch,some of the neatest and most imaginative patch designs I have ever seen came from the Navy.

You guys were very creative!

Hmmm,interesting.When you wrote,a "dungaree working jacket",does that mean a jacket that you would actually do work in,while

on duty?

P.S

Sounds like you where in the P.I at some point!

Yes indeed, we wore patches like this on our working uniform jackets, while on duty. Sometimes it was like a contest to see who had the most "stuff" on their jackets. It was very common to see Sailors working jackets with cruise patches on the back, ships UIMs down the sleeve, patches such as these, flags of countries visited and divisional and ship patches. I remember seeing a few that had hand done art work on the back like the old bomber jackets Most common being rating insignia, mermaids and dragons (I was aPacific Fleet Sailor when I was younger, yes, I spent much time in PI, used a bars address as a leave adress every now and then). Tonkin Gulf Yatch Club patched were proudley displayed by those who earned them.

My personal jacket was lost over the side of USS Bradley about '75. The zipper was broken, and the cuffs, collar, pocket openings and hem were frayed, jacket faded and stained. But I tried to get as many miles out of it as I could. In the late '70s, the Navy cracked down and actually started enforceing its regs about what patches you could actually have on the jackets and where they were allowed to be placed. Most of these patches ended up going on to cruise jackets whech were quickly falling out of favor due to the wearing of civilian clothing and "Not wanting to look like a Sailor" and of course, PC sickness infected the Navy. By the time I got to the East Coast, jackets rarely had any patches other than a blank crow, (No fun is to be had on the East Coast fro old WESTPAC Hands).

Steve Hesson

Patchcollector
Yes indeed, we wore patches like this on our working uniform jackets, while on duty. Sometimes it was like a contest to see who had the most "stuff" on their jackets. It was very common to see Sailors working jackets with cruise patches on the back, ships UIMs down the sleeve, patches such as these, flags of countries visited and divisional and ship patches. I remember seeing a few that had hand done art work on the back like the old bomber jackets Most common being rating insignia, mermaids and dragons (I was aPacific Fleet Sailor when I was younger, yes, I spent much time in PI, used a bars address as a leave adress every now and then). Tonkin Gulf Yatch Club patched were proudley displayed by those who earned them.

My personal jacket was lost over the side of USS Bradley about '75. The zipper was broken, and the cuffs, collar, pocket openings and hem were frayed, jacket faded and stained. But I tried to get as many miles out of it as I could. In the late '70s, the Navy cracked down and actually started enforceing its regs about what patches you could actually have on the jackets and where they were allowed to be placed. Most of these patches ended up going on to cruise jackets whech were quickly falling out of favor due to the wearing of civilian clothing and "Not wanting to look like a Sailor" and of course, PC sickness infected the Navy. By the time I got to the East Coast, jackets rarely had any patches other than a blank crow, (No fun is to be had on the East Coast fro old WESTPAC Hands).

Steve Hesson

Wow.Amazing!Knowing how beautiful and colorful the Asian made patches are,I can only imagine what some of those coats looked like!

And to be allowed to wear them while on duty,that's just mindblowing!Is there a story as to how your jacket "went over the side"?

You did'nt just toss it,did you?

Sounds to me like the "New Navy" pretty much ruined a great thing!BTW,my wife is from the P.I,Cebu to be exact.I did'nt meet her while I was

in the service though.It's been awhile since I was there,but it is still a man's paradise. ;)

Also,my Dad served in the Navy in the Pacific during WW2.

Wow.Amazing!Knowing how beautiful and colorful the Asian made patches are,I can only imagine what some of those coats looked like!

And to be allowed to wear them while on duty,that's just mindblowing!Is there a story as to how your jacket "went over the side"?

You did'nt just toss it,did you?

Sounds to me like the "New Navy" pretty much ruined a great thing!BTW,my wife is from the P.I,Cebu to be exact.I did'nt meet her while I was

in the service though.It's been awhile since I was there,but it is still a man's paradise. ;)

Also,my Dad served in the Navy in the Pacific during WW2.

Our wrking jackets were much like what you see on aviators flight jackets, with all the squadron patches and such. It was just a thing. My jacket was pretty much worn out, frayed, stained, paint and such. I had goteten a new jacket, and had not transfered the patches. I had actually decided to not move the patches to the new jacket as things were changing and so forth. I had left the jacket up on the bridge, and it simply disapeared. Would love to have it or at least the patches again. But, that was 35 years ago.

Been to Cebu. Went there on the USS Henry B. Wilson probebly 80 or 81. Nice town. The First Class Mess rented a new Mercedes and a bar for our stay. The Captain borrowed our car and driver for a reception at the embassy (he had a 74 Toyota with actual red lead primer on it the embassy issued him).

Steve Hesson

Patchcollector
Our wrking jackets were much like what you see on aviators flight jackets, with all the squadron patches and such. It was just a thing. My jacket was pretty much worn out, frayed, stained, paint and such. I had goteten a new jacket, and had not transfered the patches. I had actually decided to not move the patches to the new jacket as things were changing and so forth. I had left the jacket up on the bridge, and it simply disapeared. Would love to have it or at least the patches again. But, that was 35 years ago.

Been to Cebu. Went there on the USS Henry B. Wilson probebly 80 or 81. Nice town. The First Class Mess rented a new Mercedes and a bar for our stay. The Captain borrowed our car and driver for a reception at the embassy (he had a 74 Toyota with actual red lead primer on it the embassy issued him).

Steve Hesson

Hahaa,nice.I'm surprised that the Embassy did'nt tell him to take a Jeepney!

post-13386-1313452116.jpg

post-13386-1313452165.jpg

Hahaa,nice.I'm surprised that the Embassy did'nt tell him to take a Jeepney!

You should have seen the REAL Jeepnies, that were made from real jeeps!. Those were great! And, 1"P" beer in the back. Great way to wake up and start your day as you headed back to the ship :rolleyes:

Steve Hesson

Patchcollector
You should have seen the REAL Jeepnies, that were made from real jeeps!. Those were great! And, 1"P" beer in the back. Great way to wake up and start your day as you headed back to the ship :rolleyes:

Steve Hesson

Hahaa,the good ole days :lol:

I found some older designs

post-13386-1313468340.jpg

post-13386-1313468359.jpg