Kindle Collectors Books

sgtbrown

Does any one know if any collectors books have come out in Kindle format? I have considered Kindle just another stupid gadget till I got thinking how nice it would be to be able to carry my entire reference library with me when "goodie hunting". 150 pounds down to a few ounces. I could live with that!

Tom

Thats a great idea, i do not know the answer for you, but if you go to amazon.com and look up the books that you are talking about i bet it shows wether or not they are available for the kindle or other electronic book readers....mike :thumbsup:

Thats a great idea, i do not know the answer for you, but if you go to amazon.com and look up the books that you are talking about i bet it shows wether or not they are available for the kindle or other electronic book readers....mike :thumbsup:

Checked there and haven't found anything yet.

Tom

There are a number of militar history books available on Kindle...

But I believe Kindle does not do well with books that are heavily illustrated. I don't believe you will find reference books on Kindle at this time.

Any book you can have in .pdf format is usable on a Kindle. I have many Registers on my Kindle...not entirely easy to search through, but if at a show or at a market and you want to look something up...it's better than nothing!

Dave

There are a number of militar history books available on Kindle...

But I believe Kindle does not do well with books that are heavily illustrated. I don't believe you will find reference books on Kindle at this time.

I agree. I do not believe that drawings and pictures will download to Kindle. I know that I spent a lot of time designing a cover for my book and it doesn't download either.

Don..

Last I checked Kindle had black & white display only, no color. That would make any referrence photos less useful. The Nook is available with a full color display, I believe.

I'm sitting in the car playing with my iPad as my wife takes her turn at the wheel during the 500 mile drive home to San Diego from San Francisco. This thread made me wonder if anything is available for the iPad/iPhone through Apple's electronic book store.

I haven't found a militaria collection book yet, but I did find a nice example of what can be done. These screenshots are from a Case knife collecting book. I reduced them in size for the forum, but on the iPad these are full screen, high resolution and you flick a page to turn them, just like in a real book:

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

Any book you can have in .pdf format is usable on a Kindle. I have many Registers on my Kindle...not entirely easy to search through, but if at a show or at a market and you want to look something up...it's better than nothing!

Dave

Some of Sarge Booker's older stuff is in PDF format. Wish all his new stuff was. Having all his reference material would be a great start.

Tom

(Hear that Sarge B? Hint, hint!)

I found a Civil War sword collecting book and one on South African militaria collecting on the iOS book store. The CW book is only $4.95 so I'll get that. I carry my iPad with me when I do appraisals for estate sales so ebooks are a natural for that.

Corpsmancollector
I found a Civil War sword collecting book and one on South African militaria collecting on the iOS book store. The CW book is only $4.95 so I'll get that. I carry my iPad with me when I do appraisals for estate sales so ebooks are a natural for that.

I've often thought about this with both Kindle and iPad. I don't think the current Kindle format would handle a big Schiffer reference book particularly well, but perhaps in the future. Forum Support, was the case book available via a website? That looks much more usable and fit for purpose. Being an Apple fan, I'm more swayed by an iPad, at the very least you could save high res photos of items and refer to them when hunting! I know this isn't 100% practical but hopefully in the future more quality reference books will be accessible on mobile devices.

Will

Some of Sarge Booker's older stuff is in PDF format. Wish all his new stuff was. Having all his reference material would be a great start.

Tom

(Hear that Sarge B? Hint, hint!)

Dear Tom: Yes, have a lot of books in PDF format at Scribe and Archive, about 4,500 books at Scribd and 2 or 3,000 at Archive, but there are plenty not on PDF format as someone else put into that format for me, but they are not around to continue putting my remainder to PDF, you can go to http://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942?feat-=email (Booker's Free Web Library). If you google in HERBERT HILLARY BOOKER 2ND or SARGE BOOKER, you will find lots of entries. Also http://www.webshots.com/ and type in insignia and other militaria words and see the photo albums I have there under HHBOOKER, HHBOOKER2, CLOVIS_LEE_BOOKER and ENERYHODGE you'll find well over 6,000 pictures of uniforms and insignia. Have only seen a "Kindle" in a store window, know nothing about it other than it shows books? Download anything I have and put them on CD disks or go ahead and change them to PDF format and add them to Kindle as what is mine belongs to everyone, Tom! ([email protected]) :think:

post-837-1313602366.jpg

• 1 month later...

This may be a little off target, but I'm sure I am not thhe first person to go to a big show and buy something only to get home and find that I already have it. (Duh !) A friend almoost bought some items but whipped out his i-phone and looked at his collection and found that he already had them. While I wassted money, he saved by having his pocket (Color) photo album. Just my 2 cents.

This may be a little off target, but I'm sure I am not thhe first person to go to a big show and buy something only to get home and find that I already have it. (Duh !) A friend almoost bought some items but whipped out his i-phone and looked at his collection and found that he already had them. While I wassted money, he saved by having his pocket (Color) photo album. Just my 2 cents.

Another side of the coin. Not a bad idea!

Tom

Just wait a little while Amazon has a new version of the Kindle coming out in November which is color and acts pretty much like a tablet.

Just wait a little while Amazon has a new version of the Kindle coming out in November which is color and acts pretty much like a tablet.

The completely new Kindle tablet (called the "Kindle Fire") is available for order now. It is a full-bull Android tablet, but has an Amazon interface.

If history repeats itself, folks who order theirs now will probably be getting them quite a bit earlier than the public "release date"

All this is semi-moot, however, unless publishers like Sshiffer bring out their vast selection of collector's books in Kindle format.

Tom

I take my small point and shoot digital camera to shows. When I went to ASMIC I shot photos of my rack of Vietnam subdued on twill patches before leaving. Having the photos with me helped avoid buying duplicates.

Yup. I do the same thing with MY iPhone, I save the pics into my album of my patch collection(s). Has saved me a few bucks.

I, too, thought about the kindle etc for this purpose, but thus far it wouldn't do me much good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Thank you for starting this interesting topic.

I was thinking about "What to hell is a Kindle?" I only have known "eBookReader" and "tablet-PC" and "iPad".

I published my last documents at www.scribd.com/usmf_roadrunner in A5 format so it is near iPad format.

At this time I don´t have a iPad, but today I borrowed the old iPad from my chef and test to documents "Mottos A-Z" and "US Army".

IT WORKS !

I´m not sure, if I would give the iPad back to him.

To work with PDF format on iPad I installed "GoodReader" a App for a view $.

Great software!

- Easy to search inside a document

- Easy to mark text

- Easy to ...

Please, can someone test one of my documents on a Kindle ?

On my main computer (not conectet with internet) I use Windows XP.

I only go online with my notebook, it works with Windows 7.

There is a software "PDFcreator" ( freeware ! for XP and Win7 ), this will be installed

as a printer and you are able to print everything ( pictures, text, ... ) into a PDF file.

It is very easy to set format size, color, dpi.

If desired, I could create a new topic and explain further details or send a PM.

This weekend I will test what happend at the iPad, when a larger format ( A4 ) will be opened.

Michael

Mottos A-Z with "GoodReader" on iPad

Press in middle of the pad and the sidebars will be displayed.

Press the search button and write a motto, klick on "search" and you will see the first match.

Is this the one you are looking for? If not, klick on search more and the next match will be displayed ...

post-8324-1318524793.jpg