Vietnam war era VFP-63 Det 43 patch

Patchcollector

No one is sure what ever happened to "Patchcollector" I think. But the vast majority of us here would much appreciate your photo and at the same time honor your father. One of the moderators will be able to help you post pictures, I'm sure. Thanks for your info![

quote name=9641' date='Jun 12 2012, 04:20 PM' post='1105792]

post-86379-1339532275.jpg6-12-2012

I know of the patch you have. my dad was the DET 43 officer in charge, on CVA 43 Coral sea in 1967-1968 cruise.

The patch was made for that DET 43 it is a rare patch about 10 made.The det had 4 RF-8G Crusaders was a Photo Bird.The Blue Kitty on the patch was called The BLUE MANX The eyes of the fleet. was on the top right side of the tail.

My dad was shot down and was a POW did not come home. I have a photo of plane.

Not sure how to put in photo do you have email i will it send to you.

James

• 4 years later...
Patchcollector

I know of the patch you have. my dad was the DET 43 officer in charge, on CVA 43 Coral sea in 1967-1968 cruise.

The patch was made for that DET 43 it is a rare patch about 10 made.The det had 4 RF-8G Crusaders was a Photo Bird.The Blue Kitty on the patch was called The BLUE MANX The eyes of the fleet. was on the top right side of the tail.

My dad was shot down and was a POW did not come home. I have a photo of plane.

Not sure how to put in photo do you have email i will it send to you.

James

Hi James sorry to hear about your Dad,I hope that someday more info about him will come forth.I know that the Photo Recon missions were very dangerous and that the casualty rate was high for these crews.Your Father was a brave man.Thank you for the interesting info and the great photo.

Wow only about 10 patches made?That indeed is a rare piece.Those Dets must have been very small.