A good reason not to store your medals on foam pads

Old Marine

As I guess you guys know, I have digging through boxes of stuff I have accumulated over the years and have been sorting it out. I dug out some original 1960s SVN made Cross of Gallantry medals that have been stored in these boxes for well over 25 years. From the following photos you can see how foam rubber padding breaks down over the years. I should have known better, and not left them on that foam, but this is what happens when you accumulate more than you can care for, oh well.

The foam padding has morphed in to some kind of crumbly, sticky goo. I'll probably be able to clean up these medals with some care, but you can see the damage done to the backs of the medals. Don't use foam rubber.

Anyway I thought I would post the ugly photos just to let you see the effects of long term storage using the wrong materials.

Go get those medals out of the foam padded boxes now.

Dennis

post-2843-1313193217.jpg

This is a common problem with old flight helmets...imagine black foam stuck to the white styrofoam inner shell. Huge mess! Krud Kutter may help, but I would try the freezer idea first....Tom.

The Freezer huh? Brilliant! They are in there now I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks guys.

Dennis

• 1 year later...

Did putting them in the freezer work? I just picked up some older 1/7 Cav unit crests that have foam stuck to them and would like to clean the backs to see if there are any makers mark (not the whiskey, thats in the cupboard!)?