M1 carbine pouch motherload

joefriday22

I came across a box yesterday of carbine magazine pouches. Most were Korea era but there were some WW2 as well.

Here's what I picked up in mint/unissued condition. I've never heard of some of the manufacturers plus the Avery 1944 has nylon piping (?)..I've never seen that before.

Any info would be appreciated.

carbinepouches1.jpg

Carbinepouches2.jpg

carbinepouches5.jpg

carbinepouches6.jpg

carbinepouches3.jpg

carbinepouches4.jpg

carbinepouches71.jpg

carbinepouches72.jpg

carbinepouch81.jpg

carbinepouch82.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Rob

Those are some great pouches. I can't help on some of the strange manufacturers. BTW I was the guy standing next to you patiently waiting a turn to get into that box of pouches at Granby Street. I commented on the number of early so-called stock pouches. You got most of the good ones. That was a great score. The owner pulled that box off the floor after you left. I think he is going to sort them, and probably increase the prices. Really is a small world. :D

Those are some great pouches. I can't help on some of the strange manufacturers. BTW I was the guy standing next to you patiently waiting a turn to get into that box of pouches at Granby Street. I commented on the number of early so-called stock pouches. You got most of the good ones. That was a great score. The owner pulled that box off the floor after you left. I think he is going to sort them, and probably increase the prices. Really is a small world. :D

Man, you're kidding. This is the second time we've met like that in one week...the auction last week was the first.

Do you live in Norfolk? As you could probably tell, I work in Norfolk.

Don't worry, they were no steal if it makes you feel any better. They have some cool items there but no real bargains and they won't haggle either.

Rob

craig_pickrall

Is the pouch in the 6th photo dated 1948? If so that is a rare bird. Previously everyone thought the pouches that fit on the stock weren't made after 1943. That is a very nice group of pouches.

Is the pouch in the 6th photo dated 1948? If so that is a rare bird. Previously everyone thought the pouches that fit on the stock weren't made after 1943. That is a very nice group of pouches.

Yes, 1948. I was surprised at the date on that too.

Thank you,

Rob

Who's running the store now? Used to be one of the guys that initals are part of the business name. His son and daughter used to run it, they had little respect for their Dad. Still have the large drop tank outside? Good stuff to be had there.

Yes, the son is running it and I can't recall his name this second...and yes the drop tank is still outside.

They do have some nice old items in there and one can only imagine what is packed away in the backroom and attic.

Rob

Is the AIRTRESS MIDLAND marked pouch British made?

Not sure, I'll open the flap when I get home and let you know.

Anyone have any info on the 44 Avery with nylon piping?

Rob

Watch out for the daughter, used to have green teeth.....

The guy with the 1st letter of the business name was a 29th ID D-Day Veteran. Sometimes you could get him to talk about it, mostly he would not. IIRC he passed in the late 80's. I'm pretty sure the other guy has passed also, been a few years since I've been there. Used to talk to him quite a lot. The son told me they take "stuff" out of storage and throw it outside so it will "look old". Go figure. I remember going in there in the late 50's, wish I had a time machine....

One of the older guys is still alive. He's in there from time to time and he has WW2/Purple Heart tags on his vehicle.

Not sure, I'll open the flap when I get home and let you know.

Anyone have any info on the 44 Avery with nylon piping?

Rob

If those avery ones had some wear to them, i would say they where refurbished to make them serviceable for reissue in the 60s,with the nylon edges being used to replace old frayed duck ones , but as we can see, they are in unissued condition . It is a curiostiy thats for sure, but here, that hypothesis is all i can think of, but it would seem that it is not the case.

If those avery ones had some wear to them, i would say they where refurbished to make them serviceable for reissue in the 60s,with the nylon edges being used to replace old frayed duck ones , but as we can see, they are in unissued condition . It is a curiostiy thats for sure, but here, that hypothesis is all i can think of, but it would seem that it is not the case.

I thought maybe the same thing but they are in unissued condition as you stated. Also, I couldn't figure why they would have refurbished them when there were probably millions of these things left in crates in warehouses.

Wow, Gilbert is still with us! Try to get Him talking. Is Doumars still there?Granby and 21st St. IIRC? Best Limeaid there is. Be sure to visit the "French Bakery" toward the Granby St bridge.....

I thought maybe the same thing but they are in unissued condition as you stated. Also, I couldn't figure why they would have refurbished them when there were probably millions of these things left in crates in warehouses.

You i and i think this way but the army does it the army way, there is no end to the items that keep being refurbished/repaired and reissued refurbished/repaired and reissued, untill it can not be any more and is completely unpresentable. But as we concur their clean and undamaged, even the army would,nt put "new" nylon componates on a servicable item just for the sake of upgrading them because nylon is a newer material.

t o

Those were made in 1944. Not refurbished. That wouldn't make any sense anyways. I just scored one off of ebay for a really good price. Maybe because not alot of people know about the rare variation?

Joefriday22, are you selling these right now on ebay?

Sam

t o

Those were made in 1944. Not refurbished. That wouldn't make any sense anyways. I just scored one off of ebay for a really good price. Maybe because not alot of people know about the rare variation?

Joefriday22, are you selling these right now on ebay?

Sam

Hi Sam. No, I am not selling any of them on Ebay at this time.

Rob

Is the AIRTRESS MIDLAND marked pouch British made?

Airtress is a US manufacturer.They made First aid pouches,shovel covers etc.I have a few examples and a mint T-handle shovel cover

• 10 years later...

Old thread, but its the only one I've found mentioned the use of a thin synthetic binding. 

Here's an example I just aquired.  Whether the binding is Nylon, or perhaps Rayon, or another more plentiful wartime sythetic fiber I can't say.   It's fairly stiff which raises some doubt about it being one of the softer synthetics.Pocket_Avery45_T2_Synth_2737r.jpg

For reference there's a wide array of carbines and pistol magazine pockets pictured here