Civil War Museum - Fort Worth, Texas

fortworthgal

fortworthgal

Texas Civil War Museum

760 N Jim Wright Fwy

White Settlement, TX 76108-1222

(817) 246-2323

www.texascivilwarmuseum.com

I've driven by this museum a dozen times, and a few weeks ago we finally decided to check it out. On the exterior, the place is very unassuming, but is definitely worth the $6 admission price. This is a world-class museum. The exhibits are beautifully done and the museum overflows with original Civil War artifacts - Confederate and Union, as well as civilian. There is no "rebel" slant, the museum is educational and very well put-together, and showcases items from all sides of the conflict. Uniforms, rifles & pistols too numerous to count, also a cannon, and lots of interesting field artifacts. There are even items named to "Beast" Ben Butler, U.S. Grant, and other well-known Civil War figures. There is an entire section of original women's dresses dating from 1860-1890 that are stunning and well-preserved. Overall, this is a world-class museum well worth the visit and highly recommended for anyone remotely interested in our nation's history.

post-6679-1313086998.jpg

post-6679-1313087068.jpg

FortWorth Gal,

I was there a few years ago. Fantastic museum! When I saw the outside of the buiding, I figured I would be out in an hour tops, three hours later, I finally came out. As you said, very well laid out!

I was there in April and it is a great one. I think the best news is the planned expansion. The flag display blew me away.

Any idea who is behind this? The website says it is privately funded, with material borrowed from the Daughters of the Confederacy.

There is a lot of money in Ft. Worth, even during a recession. This shows where some of it went.

The displays look sharp and professionally done. I haven't been back in 10 years but this gives me a reason to go. thanks for posting.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's amazing what's right under your nose sometimes. Thanks for the heads-up on this museum, I'll definitely have to check it out the next time I'm on the west side of town!