Navy Jumper Jacket

ww2vault

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Navy Jumper Jacket that has a patch for the U.S.S. Columbus on one sleeve and a AA patch on the other. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this was issued during WWII or post war? Thanks!

P.S. 200th post! :D

- Jeff

post-1090-1194382792.jpg

post-1090-1194382832.jpg

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Navy Jumper Jacket that has a patch for the U.S.S. Columbus on one sleeve and a AA patch on the other. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this was issued during WWII or post war? Thanks!

P.S. 200th post! :D

- Jeff

I had thought the ship/duty station patch was a modern day thing: I see lots of old and new Navy jumpers at local thrift stores and only see the patches on the newest ones.

If I recall correctly, the fire controlman rate was worn on the right arm in ww2. (or is it vice versa? I always forget that.) That would make this jumper post 1948. Issue ww2 jumpers will have a Naval Clothing Factory label underneath the collar. I am not sure if ships name patches were worn in ww2. If so, it was very uncommon.

CB

Ships name tabs and duty station tabs were NOT worn during WW II. I'm pretty sure they are late '50's or early '60's.

BKW

Thank you everyone for the extremely fast help, great as always! thumbsup.gif I thought it might have been post war myself as well because I didn't think navel jumpers had the ships name patched on it.

- Jeff

Jeff,

As others have said, post war. The ship tab was authorized in 1957. The tabs started out as cut edge then were manufactured with a merrowed edge in the mid to late 60's.

Brent