MAG 39 patch

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Picked this up in a lot looks to be a proper Vientam period patch. Informed opinions are welcome. No guesses please.

Garth

post-83-1312917480.jpg

River Patrol

It's a good Japanese machine-made novelty patch.

From Wikipedia:

MAG-39 was activated at Quang Tri Airfield, Republic of Vietnam, amongst the chaos of war. Originally assigned to the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, MAG-39 participated in the Vietnam war until October 1969 when it was deactivated.

Patchcollector

Here is a Thai made example from my collection.Not sure if they were novelty patches,I think these were actually worn on uniforms.

post-13386-1312981885.jpg

post-13386-1312981899.jpg

Hello,

Here is an example from our collection. It has been removed from some type of uniform, appears to be US made on twill, and from my understanding is either a pre-deployment piece, or one of the first variants made for the unit. It came from a legendary "man" who sells "rare" "patch"es.

post-2063-1312997391.jpg

Patchcollector
Hello,

Here is an example from our collection. It has been removed from some type of uniform, appears to be US made on twill, and from my understanding is either a pre-deployment piece, or one of the first variants made for the unit. It came from a legendary "man" who sells "rare" "patch"es.

That's a nice patch.I think it is for the security detail to wear,do you have a pic of the back?I have a Thai made version of that,and I wanted to compare

the back views.I'll have to dig mine out to take a pic and post it here.

River Patrol
I think these were actually worn on uniforms.

Why would you think that?

Patchcollector
Why would you think that?

So you're saying that it was used only on party suits,because that's what I think of when I hear "novelty" patch.

Patchcollector

I had to dig a bit,but I found my Security Detail piece.If I remember right,I got this from either Bob or Larry,awhile back.

Now that I look at it again,it may be US made,the netting on the back is a bit tighter than most Thai examples.

Anyway,here it is.

post-13386-1313036353.jpg

post-13386-1313036382.jpg