Favorite fleet submarine museum?

MattS

Sorry if this has been done before, but what is your favorite WW2 sub on display in the USA? I've been on the USS Cobia, Cod, Silversides, Croaker, Lionfish, and Clamagore. The Cobia has guided tours and is reportedly 85% operational. It is in "Inspection Ready" condition, and is one of the best that I have been on. The Cod is a close second, has self-guided tours, and is completely stocked including cans of food stashed everywhere, books on the shelves, and laundry on the racks. It feels like the crew went ashore just before you got there. The Silversides is the highest ranking fleet sub still extant, but is not as complete as some others. The other three are all pretty similar in terms of condition and display. Would like to hear your thoughts!

post-32676-1312911686.jpg

My brother and I on USS Lionfish (SS-298), Battleship Cove at Fall River, MA. I guess they have since blocked off access topside.

post-32676-1312913386.jpg

I was within miles of Batfish while driving across OK, I wish I had stopped! Would be interesting to see a 'landlocked' sub too.

In my opinion...

The guided tour of the Cobia is cool because it is that - guided, thus maybe some bits more that one is allowed to see and more that one is told verbally by the guide, if they knew their topic well, since it is somewhat "supervised". The down side of the Cobia was that with a guide, you sort of are really at their mercy in terms of time... They show an area, talk about it, look around for 45 seconds, then move on. Everyone on my tour rolled their eyes at me, as I was always lagging behind taking pictures. The Silversides was neat because it was NOT guided, so I was able to spend more time looking at the more mundane things that the typical tourist might not really care about.

The guide on the Cobia, once everyone else on the tour was done and out of sight, took me up on the bridge, he had obviously recognized my larger than usual interest in the sub; plus my buddy told him "he's a big sub fan." That was quite an experience to see the sub from that perspective, and something that was not going to have at all been possible on the Silversides due to how the Silversides tour was structured.

Those are the only ones I can speak to as they are the only ones I have been on.

A blast of a time would be to get a group from the Forum and do one of their overnight / sleepover experiences on the Cobia... Basically rent it out for a night like that, get the really detailed tour, and then just hang out! Any takers? :lol:

Both were great tho!

MW

There's a historical treasure that almost didn't make it! It was almost another victim to gross mismanagement and corruption. Again, the vets made the difference! Take a look at the wikipedia listing to get an idea!

When dedicated and experienced veterans become the mainstay of these vital assets, they are able to not only survive but thrive! They took the Silversides from a possible sinking hulk to a nearly fully functional sub!

There's another that needs a little help in NJ, the USS Ling! Despite everything they are able to do, the vets can not do it alone!

Salvage Sailor

For those of you who have not been off of the 'mainland'

USS BOWFIN (SS-287) the Balao class veteran of both WWII & Korea, now a museum boat in Pearl Harbor.

800px_USS_Bowmin_submarine___full_view_side.jpg

220px_USS_Bowfin_Torpedo_Tubes.jpg

To me, it is an easy vote. The USS Cod is the only WWII submarine on display that is still in its original WWII condition. The others either have post-war updates and/or have been cut open for handicap access. For example, the Cod still has its escape chamber. None of the others have theirs, I am told. All were scrapped.

Budgetary restraints prevent this being done more often, but on Labor Day weekend (in conjunction with the Cleveland Airshow) the boat is staffed with a crew of docents who give talks to the public on their respective areas down below.

Tom

Here I am at my station in the control room.

post-81-1312939221.jpg

View of USS Silversides in Muskegon, MI from USS McLane.

I was in Muskegon 10 days ago, but had no idea the boat was there, :crying: my loss!!

I was in Muskegon 10 days ago, but had no idea the boat was there, :crying: my loss!!

The museum there is great as is the Coast Guard Cutter McLane, a WW2 sub chaser credited with sinking a Japanese sub in 1943! They were close to having it restored when I was last there in 09. It is worth a trip back!

post-32676-1312991843.jpg

To me, it is an easy vote. The USS Cod is the only WWII submarine on display that is still in its original WWII condition. The others either have post-war updates and/or have been cut open for handicap access. For example, the Cod still has its escape chamber. None of the others have theirs, I am told. All were scrapped.

Budgetary restraints prevent this being done more often, but on Labor Day weekend (in conjunction with the Cleveland Airshow) the boat is staffed with a crew of docents who give talks to the public on their respective areas down below.

Tom

Thanks Tom! Cod is one of my favorites. I had talked to a guy with the organization (Paul?) a few years ago about some possible fundraisers, but he never got back to me. I do have to visit again soon!

Thanks Tom! Cod is one of my favorites. I had talked to a guy with the organization (Paul?) a few years ago about some possible fundraisers, but he never got back to me. I do have to visit again soon!

Paul is the curator of the boat. Great guy but one of those that needs a fire lit under his butt from time to time!

Tom

Paul is the curator of the boat. Great guy but one of those that needs a fire lit under his butt from time to time!

Tom

Tom,

That can be said about a number of curators! I have to believe that they are the "reserved, hesitant and conservative" balance to the "enthusiasm and get it done" of the veteran crews! Although, I think they need to come over to our side more!

The Drum is at Battleship Park in Mobile, Alabama. I was just there a few weeks ago. I'll add a few photos....in multiple posts as site restrictions permit.

The Drum is out of water now after haveing suffered damage from the elements and a previous hurricane that washed it pretty much ashore anyway.

post-6574-1313032177.jpg