Restoration of my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep

zepher11

Thanks, Jon. Shoot me a PM of what you are looking at on your frame. I would be happy to assist in any way I can. And remember, I'm an accountant by trade, so I only know enough to be dangerous! :w00t: :lol:

Zeph, you are too modest! Saying you "only know enough to be dangerous" is like saying Michelangelo was just a house painter. :lol:

My motorhead experience was limited to spark plugs and oil changes, but I can still recognize a superb project in the works.

Grinder wheel salute! :thumbsup:

Terry

Cobrahistorian

Here is the driver’s side panel near. This looks really bad. I don’t know if it shows up in the photos, but it is rather hideous:

What to do, what to do. I will be thinking about this all week while at work!

Looks like the bondo monster got ya!

I thought briefly about using bondo, but it's going to be better just to weld in new metal and grind it smooth.

Zeph, you are too modest! Saying you "only know enough to be dangerous" is like saying Michelangelo was just a house painter. :lol:

My motorhead experience was limited to spark plugs and oil changes, but I can still recognize a superb project in the works.

Grinder wheel salute! :thumbsup:

Terry

Thanks, Terry. You are too kind! :blush:

Zeph

Looks like the bondo monster got ya!

I thought briefly about using bondo, but it's going to be better just to weld in new metal and grind it smooth.

I found that a lot of the repairs were actually done with fiberglass. Really strange. I know there is some bondo in there somewhere for sure. Like you, I think I want to stay away from bondo as much as I can.

Now, I'm trying to decide if I should just replace the quarter panels and tail panel with replacement panels or tackle all the welding and metal fitting/replacement that will be required. I'm really on the fence about which way to go at this point. :think:

Zeph

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Kat. Just for you. :lol:

It’s been busy at work, but I finally had a little time to work on the tub this past weekend. I cut out the tail panel in preparation for the install of a reproduction panel. It’s quite a bit of work to get that thing out of there, but after having removed the floor panels it does seem to be getting a little easier with experience.

Here’s the original. It’s beat pretty good and has a couple of extra holes in it:

post-5589-0-02318000-1407530381.jpg

post-5589-0-37942400-1407530386.jpg

post-5589-0-02828700-1407530392.jpg

The tool box tops are pretty rugged as well. I see a lot of crack repairs on both sides. I may look at replacing the tool box tops. There are some nice rips in the metal which will need additional welding to repair:

post-5589-0-34971500-1407530396.jpg

post-5589-0-76110600-1407530400.jpg

Ripping and tearing:

post-5589-0-74975000-1407530406.jpg

It’s very tedious removing all the spot welds and getting the metal back into shape, but if one keeps plugging along it eventually comes along. The driver’s rear corner is really bad as it has sustained a couple of heavy hits. The tool box is crushed in pretty good as well as the bottom inner floor of the tool box. I don’t think it shows up here as bad as it looks in person:

post-5589-0-30380700-1407530412.jpg

Starting to take shape:

post-5589-0-10061900-1407530417.jpg

post-5589-0-49850700-1407530421.jpg

First test fitting of the reproduction tail panel:

post-5589-0-86127700-1407530425.jpg

The tail light brackets bump up against the bottom side of the tool box floors. Either the tail light holes/light brackets are in the incorrect spot, or something else is muffed up. It looks like I will need to trim about a half inch off the tool box floor tab to accommodate the tail light brackets. Hmmm…that will not leave much of a tab for welding. None at the bracket and just a little on both sides of the tail light bracket. My brackets were cut off the original tail panel, so there is not a good reference to compare.

Zeph

Thanks for the update! I love seeing the pictures.

Are all of the holes in the tail panel from where attachments were added to the jeep?

It doesn't look like there were any rust holes but LOTS of drilled holes.

How are you going to fix the bottom of the tool box? It looks pretty rusted out.

.....Kat

Thanks for the update! I love seeing the pictures.

Are all of the holes in the tail panel from where attachments were added to the jeep?

It doesn't look like there were any rust holes but LOTS of drilled holes.

How are you going to fix the bottom of the tool box? It looks pretty rusted out.

.....Kat

The original panel did look a bit like Swiss cheese. :w00t: Some holes were for the tire carrier and fuel can holder. Then there were the left overs that I haven't a clue what they were for. There were brackets attached on each upper rear corners. I think they were for some poles to support a top of some sort. The original panel was pretty beat both on the outside and the inside. The inside supports were crushed in some spots as well.

As far as the tool box floors, they are not as bad as they look in the photos. There's some metal debris in there that makes them look worse than they are. There are a few holes that the previous owner cut in there that I will patch. I found some replacement panel floors already fabricated, but they are out of stock for a few months. That would have been a good solution. I'll be looking them over closely to see how to proceed.

Thanks,

Zeph

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been following this post with great enthusiasm. I'm glad you went with the repop rear panel. It's a hard decision to make, but you'll have a better result. FYI, script jeeps did not come with a gas can carrier. So, you can leave it off and still be correct. That way you will be able to show off that great Ford Script!

Marv

Cobrahistorian

Any updates Zeph?

I haven't touched Race Horse in a couple weeks now and it's killing me. Just spent the past hour just starting to remove the rust on the left front fender. It's coming along well and I'm making some headway. Rust damage isn't too terrible on this side.

Keep up the awesome work!

Jon

Hi Jon,

My goal was to complete my GPW by Veteran’s day in order to surprise Kelly with a ride in the local Vet’s parade. I wanted to duplicate the GPW he had his picture taken next to as he was leaving Bassingbourn, England after he was shot down and had evaded back to England. It has been exactly one year since I started this project. I was hoping I could complete the entire project in a year, but work is my main culprit. I just can’t get the time off I would like.

Therefore, I have taken a short break on this project to ready my WC-54 for the parade and hopefully give Kelly a ride in it if it all works out. I am marking it in the 91st bomb group markings, so I think he will get a kick out of that. I have painted the vehicle and have been noodling through getting the red crosses on it in the correct WWII configurations. I also had to recondition the rear doors and figure out how to make the rear windows. I also had to replace the master cylinder and a couple of other things to get her up to the task. Here are a couple of progress photos over the past couple of weeks, so everyone knows I’m not totally goofing off :lol: .

Paint booth:

post-5589-0-01331100-1407530547.jpg

post-5589-0-03985800-1407530551.jpg

post-5589-0-75796500-1407530555.jpg

post-5589-0-30330500-1407530560.jpg

post-5589-0-69815400-1407530564.jpg

post-5589-0-74894700-1407530570.jpg

post-5589-0-49464000-1407530575.jpg

post-5589-0-27069300-1407530581.jpg

post-5589-0-11784700-1407530586.jpg

post-5589-0-77023000-1407530590.jpg

As one can see it’s been a bit of a project. It always seems it will be a lot easier and faster than it actually is. It always seems I have impossible deadlines. At least they keep me going! I also was side tracked one weekend as I recovered my next restoration project, a WC-63 1.5 ton weapons/troop carrier. It will be an awesome project. Back on the GPW soon… ;)

Wow, I hope the photos come out. It took me about an hour to figure out how to post a photo....

Cobrahistorian

Lookin great Zeph! You restore WWII vehicles like I build models. A little bit on this one, a little bit on that one, it's awesome!

I'm hoping to get some time in the blasting cabinet again this week, but with all of the artifact movement we've been doing, it has been impossible for me to get away. Looks like we're just about done this week. Still waiting on a Nike Hercules missile and some stuff for the Field Artillery museum, but that should be it for a while.

Keep going on the GPW. Take Kelly for that ride on Memorial Day.

Jon

Zeph,

The 54 looks great.

Sometimes a break from one project helps re-focus.

As my girlfriend would say... AMBLANCE!! (yes the u is not pronounced).

Mark

Lookin great Zeph! You restore WWII vehicles like I build models. A little bit on this one, a little bit on that one, it's awesome!

I'm hoping to get some time in the blasting cabinet again this week, but with all of the artifact movement we've been doing, it has been impossible for me to get away. Looks like we're just about done this week. Still waiting on a Nike Hercules missile and some stuff for the Field Artillery museum, but that should be it for a while.

Keep going on the GPW. Take Kelly for that ride on Memorial Day.

Jon

Thanks, Jon. Wow, missiles and field artillery. Now that doesn't sound like work. It sounds like fun. B) The only artifact I have at work is a No. 2 pencil. :lol:

Zeph,

The 54 looks great.

Sometimes a break from one project helps re-focus.

As my girlfriend would say... AMBLANCE!! (yes the u is not pronounced).

Mark

Thank you, Mark. I think you are correct about taking a break. I am really getting pumped up to get back on the GPW, but it is nice to have devesion once in awhile.

Your AMBLANCE comment had me thinking about the old 911 recording going around the internet years ago known as the "BAMBULANCE" call from. It always makes me laugh.

Thanks again!

Zeph

Cobrahistorian

Thanks, Jon. Wow, missiles and field artillery. Now that doesn't sound like work. It sounds like fun. B) The only artifact I have at work is a No. 2 pencil. :lol:

Yeah, it's work, but I love what I do. There's a lot of fun involved. This was today's mission. I'm posting this because the larger piece is US militaria and the smaller piece is a "bringback". ;) Had to move this beastie across post to our storage facility from the paint shop.

post-5589-0-71158600-1407530714.jpg

Now that is a nice tow rig! I could have used it on my latest recovery. This WC-63 was in a barn for almost 30 years. It took me three hours to figure out how to load it by myself. It's rather heavy. :o I knew I was in trouble when I tried to pull it on the trailer and it snapped my chain like a piece of string. Since it was about a six hour drive from my house, I wasn't leaving without it!

post-5589-0-45384200-1407530760.jpg

post-5589-0-92793400-1407530764.jpg

Very happy to have found this in the condition it is in. I think it moved up to next on the list after my GPW project.

Zeph

Zeph,

All I can say is WOW! :love:

The paint job on the ambulance is amazing! You did an excellent job! I really like it.

I also LOVE the new project. How many vehicles do you have? How many are you working on right now?

....Kat

Zeph,

All I can say is WOW! :love:

The paint job on the ambulance is amazing! You did an excellent job! I really like it.

I also LOVE the new project. How many vehicles do you have? How many are you working on right now?

....Kat

Thanks, Kat. At the moment, I'm only working on the ambulance in order to get it ready for the Vet's parade...then I will be on a mission to complete the GPW.

I talked to Kelly today and he's getting geared up for a ride in the ambulance for the parade. He's in his element there as he loves to tell his war stories....and rightly so. I've heard them dozens of times, but I never tire of hearing what he went through after being shot down over France in September 1944.

I do have a few WWII vehicles at the moment. I have the GPW, WC-63, WC-54, WC-21, WC-13 and I am picking up a complete WC-22 on Monday. I will likely unload the WC-21 and WC-13 and keep the WC-22 for a project after the WC-63. I am always wheeling and dealing to fund my projects. I have also bought and sold a couple of WWII Jeeps in the past year as well as a number of other WWII artifacts.

Hopefully, I'll be back to posting GPW project photos soon.

Zeph

Just about done with the WC-54. I just need to paint the big red cross on the roof. Maybe a couple of other things, but very closet to getting back to the GPW project.

Making the door stars:

post-5589-0-27672800-1407530904.jpg

post-5589-0-88812300-1407530910.jpg

post-5589-0-03412500-1407530948.jpg

post-5589-0-43091300-1407530972.jpg

post-5589-0-91364100-1407530980.jpg

post-5589-0-25520600-1407530986.jpg

Nice Meatwagon, Zeph...

Where did you get the bumper markings???? Are you sure the Bomber Squadrons had their own Ambulance Platoons?

Thanks Johan,

Well, I did take a bit of artistic license with the markings. I have seen other restrorations similiarly marked, but nothing specific to the 91st BG. I did find a couple of period photos. The photo below shows BG and Squadron markings on the WC-54 to the right. This was in Italy. I find that there isn't a great deal of information on ambulance markings out there.

I have my 91 year old relative riding with me in the parade. He was in the 91st BG 322 Squadron when he was shot down over France in 1944. He has no idea that I marked the ambulance in the markings from his old unit. This was a quick paint job just for the parade. Eventually I will do a completed restoration which will give me more time to conduct some additional research.

If you run into any information on WWII era BG ambulance markings in your travels, please pass them along. I know ambulances stationed in England in WWII did not have stars on the doors either and they had other black out details as well. I'll post a Bomb Squadron marked WC-54 with full "black out" regalia next.

post-24058-0-56984500-1351095392_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of 8th USAAF WC-54's in England with Bomb Squadron markings and full black out markings. Note the white markings on the fenders for night time identification and lack of stars on doors and hood. I'm still learing about what is period correct for these vehicles. This is just what I have learned over the past few months. I am by no means an expert at all in WWII era vehicle markings, but I am learning more each day! Any comments on markings are appreciated:

post-24058-0-96411300-1351096735_thumb.jpg

That is one good looking vehicle! Thanks alot for posting.

Just about done with the WC-54. I just need to paint the big red cross on the roof. Maybe a couple of other things, but very closet to getting back to the GPW project.

Making the door stars: