Restoration of my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep

zepher11

Cracked enough to make it unusable in my opinion:

GPW_143.JPG

The channel also pinched the glass:

GPW_153.JPG

Then I noticed how the reproduction inner channel has a pinch seam right in the middle of the channel. This ate up 1/8 of room:

GPW_16.jpg

Here is the original. There are not pinch seams in the channel. It is just a channel:

GPW_172.JPG

I then measure the frame vs. my original from the outer edge to the center support. The original was 23 5/8 and the reproduction was 23 3/8 wide. No wonder the glass wouldnt fit. Plus I wanted to use glass setting tape as the originals. I appeared to me the glass had to be at least a 1/4 less in width. Oh well, back to the glass shop for that.

With that issue, I made a little jig with wood blocks and set about correcting the bends on each side of the frame in the channel. I used a BIG hamper and modified some steel stock and beat it in to submission. Messed it up a bit, but after filing didnt look too bad:

GPW_18.JPG

After a week, I finally hand sanded the outer frame for a repaint and used some different primer:

GPW_192.JPG

GPW_20.JPG

In the meantime, I had a lot of mowing to do as it is heating up around here. Got bored and moved things around:

GPW_231.JPG

Worked on something I actually could figure out:

GPW_0116.jpg

Plus, I mounted the spare tire and then mounted it on the back:

GPW_0214.jpg

In the meantime, I let the glass shop do their thing. I asked them if they had glass setting tape. They did. I told them I was trying to keep it original and that I wanted the tape used. No problem they said. Picked it up and they used liquid glazing not the glass setting tape. Oh well, at least it is done and doesn’t look too bad. I also installed the weather stripping seal around the outside:

GPW_0316.jpg

Installed the cowl to outer frame seal and checked the fit. I couldn’t get the clasps to close, so I bent the arms a bit. And then some more, and then just one teeny bit more…and crack. Almost completely broke off the passenger side arm. Had to strip the paint, re-weld and re-paint:

GPW_0413.jpg

Finally, I was satisfied with the fit, but that ate up a lot of time:

GPW_0611.jpg

I also ordered a new water temp gauge to replace the original one that didn’t work and attempted to install. Just couldn’t get it to seal and after about three hours of trying, the sensor bulb snapped off. At least it worked briefly when I tested it. Well, another $90 down the drain. Ordered a third and just received it yesterday. Round three coming up.

Also, after driving a few times the fuel tank fitting begun to leak. I knew originally that it would come back to haunt me. When I originally installed the fuel like fitting into the fuel tank fitting, only about two threads would enter the fuel tank fitting before the flare in the line was fully seated. Well, I tried to use some Teflon tape, but that didn’t work and the fuel tank fitting just wouldn’t hold. I ended up drilling the tank fitting and tapping it with 1/4" NPT threads. I used a barb fitting and could screw it in not about eight revolutions vs. the two previously. It pained me, but I had to cut the original metal line and insert fuel hose. I also stuck in an second filter to catch any brass shavings that may be in the tank now:

GPW_0712.jpg

I still have to install the new water temp gauge and troubleshoot the fuel gauge/sending unit that doesn’t work. I also need to fix the panel lights that worked before, but do not now. I installed the exhaust system and painted it. I installed the horn last night and it doesn’t work. It is new. Still need to install the mirrors and wipers as well. I also installed the safety straps last night, but then found out that I think they need to be flipped where the tab goes toward the rear of the vehicle:

GPW_0215.jpg

As of last night, this is what we have:

GPW_0117.jpg

Thanks for looking. I thought I would post as it appears they are changing the photo upload process here to something I will be unfamiliar with. It took me awhile to figure out the last time it was changed. Not going to have a lot of time to dink around with it. Thanks!!

Zeph

AAARRGGG!! I even get frustrated myself when reading your recent adventures. :wacko:

These things must drive you crazy, Zeph!

Not only the material lets you down, but also the people you do business with do not seem to meet the standards.

Well, may the force be with you from now on....

AAARRGGG!! I even get frustrated myself when reading your recent adventures. :wacko:

These things must drive you crazy, Zeph!

Not only the material lets you down, but also the people you do business with do not seem to meet the standards.

Well, may the force be with you from now on....

That's funny sjef. I was able to take the GPW off of Non-Op and it is now registered. Just came in from a drive around the neighborhood. Just that made me forget everything I have had issues with. Son of a gun, this thing is a lot of fun to drive! :)

I installed the water temp gauge and it works! I also installed my driver's side mirror and added a rear view mirror as well. No fuel leaks, so I hope that is okay now. There is a big car show here next Saturday. They limit it to 2400 cars that are 1970 and older. I registered a week or so just for kicks. There is also a big cruise on Friday night, so I will come home from the Tower Park military vehicle event early on Friday. Thinking about taking the GPW there as well, but not too sure at the moment. Worried the Jeep police will be there and count all the rivets and seat stitches. :lol:

All is good...

Zeph

Zeph,

Great updates! That is horrible that the new primer messed up the paint. It definitely shows what a difference quality paint makes. I can't imagine how much fun it must be to drive it. Have you taken the dogs for a ride? :)

...Kat

Thought I would take a few documentation photos before the yard turns crisp in a few weeks. It’s been a long two and a half years. Probably coulda finished it up earlier if I hadn’t spent all that time working on the WC54 and WC52. Those were fun projects as well, however:

IMG_31281.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_31401.JPG

Zeph,

Great updates! That is horrible that the new primer messed up the paint. It definitely shows what a difference quality paint makes. I can't imagine how much fun it must be to drive it. Have you taken the dogs for a ride? :)

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Not yet. I was going to attend the a couple of shows in the next few weeks, so I'm not letting them in at the moment. Once I let them in it will start to get scrathed up pretty good. I just want it perfect for a few weeks and then I won't worry about it. I recall that I have a photo of Gracie in the GPW before I took it apart at the beginning of this thread. I'm going to see if I can duplicate that photo. A sort of before and after so to speak.

Thanks for all your support!

Zeph

Hi Kat,

Not yet. I was going to attend the a couple of shows in the next few weeks, so I'm not letting them in at the moment. Once I let them in it will start to get scrathed up pretty good. I just want it perfect for a few weeks and then I won't worry about it. I recall that I have a photo of Gracie in the GPW before I took it apart at the beginning of this thread. I'm going to see if I can duplicate that photo. A sort of before and after so to speak.

Thanks for all your support!

Zeph

Maybe it is also fun to duplicate the photos from post #13 to #16, to really tee the stunning result. Because it looks beautiful!!

Good to read that you have finally been able to take it for a ride! :)

And about the Jeep police; unless you have money and time to burn there are always some compromises you have to make in a restoration project. And you took a lot more effort in keeping it close to original than would have been done by the technicians in the air depot.

Pointing out imperfections is just a way of showing off knowledge. No harm in allowing them that little pleasure. ;)

Cobrahistorian

Man is she sweet, Zeph!

I've been running into roadblock after roadblock, but still making slow progress. Welding and re-riveting my frame is the daunting task right now. Once that's done I'm hoping things will start to fall into place.

You've inspired me once again though. Looking forward to next weekend where I can get something done on her!

Jon

She IS a beauty!

I have been reading your posts with increasing interest.

And I hope maybe one day I get to drive around in one as well ...... well, a man can dream, right??? :lol:

Happy Easter!

Erwin

American Graffiti

It is looking GREAT! What a great job you've done, and those final frustrating problems, you must've felt like screaming, was someone testing you to see if you'd crack!

Kat, your question about taking the dogs for a ride made me laugh. A friend of mine told me he once had a jeep, but had to get rid of it when their dog fell out of it going around Marble Arch roundabout in Central London! Good job you've installed those safety straps Zeph,

AG

That's very nice! Do I see a blackout smoked side-view mirror? They really add that extra detail to it!

Steve

It's a work of art! As said before you are a master craftsman. Have great fun with this beauty. It's been a treat to watch your work in progress. Thank you! Bobgee

Thank you everyone for all the kind comments! I’ve been really busy the past week or so. I have attended four car shows and one parade. After all the troubles I had near the end, I was able to bite the bullet and head to the military vehicle show at Tower Park here in California. It was enjoyable. Saw a lot of great vehicles and met a lot of grate people.

Here are a few photos from Tower Park. I met a fella that just completed his ’42 GPW project. His date of delivery is a few days after mine, but his serial number is about 1200 prior to mine. He did a nice job as well. And, dare I say, he may be more anal than I:

GPW_134.jpg

GI Jane:

GPW_123.jpg

George and Gracie were upset that other Vizsla’s were able to attend:

GPW_116.jpg

After Tower Park, I attended a local car show last Saturday. Near the war memorial early in the am:

GPW_KAN_2014_02.jpg

Then I finally had a little time to install the tools and straps. Both I believe are original WWII items:

GPW_0216.jpg

Thursday, May 1st was Little Zeph’s 72nd birthday. I broke down and allowed him to have his first “TAT.” I actually think it turned out well. My soon to be 88 year old cousin is Kelly’s sister in law. Iris’ husband Bill was in the 101st AB in WWII and was in Bastogne during the bulge. Bill and Iris never had any kids, and I am like a son to her, so I thought it would be a fitting tribute to let Little Zeph step aside and be renamed:

Here’s a little video of the painful process:

Zeph_s_Tat_01.jpg

Zeph_s_Tat_02.jpg

There was actually a car show in the little park about a block from Iris’ house last night, so I drove over to surprise her. Here’s a video of the event:

Then today we had a parade in our city to celebrate the building of Shasta Dam as well as a car show at the dam itself. Here are some photos from today. Some little sprouts:

GPW_0118.JPG

Even my wife is warming to the MV’s:

GPW_0217.JPG

Since a week has passed, I’m no longer concerned about scratches, so the dogs are now welcome aboard. They are a little hard on the paint. Lots of scratches inside and out now, but George and Gracie really enjoy it, and they have a new set of Doggles. Gracie: "Hey now, what’s George doing up front!":

GPW_0317.JPG

Gracie loves to play to the onlookers and they really like her and George as well:

GPW_0414.JPG

Iris posing today:

GPW_0713.JPG

GPW_088.JPG

Here are a few little videos of my trip to Shasta Dam. I thought it was fitting to get some shots of the dam since it was constructed during WWII and both my grandfathers worked on the dam:

GPW_0515.JPG

Again, thank you all for you kind comments. I still have a few liittle things to complete on the GPW, but it's nice to have it running so that I can enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally thought the blue drab was dry enough to paint over with the white registration numbers. I also added the star on the hood and the side stars:

GPW_Stencil_01.JPG

GPW_Stencil_02.JPG

GPW_Stencil_03.JPG

GPW_Stencil_04.JPG

GPW_Stencil_05.JPG

My rendition of an early WWII USAAF Jeep:

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

I am working on a stencil for the rear of the summer canvas top as was seen in England during the period. With some time on my hands I emptied out the storage to get a photo before everything turns brown. Already over 100 degrees yesterday here, so maybe another week of green:

IMG_3312.JPG

Zeph

Great pictures! It is amazing to look at the first picture in this thread and the now picture. Beautiful work!

I love your other vehicles too....Kat

Great pictures! It is amazing to look at the first picture in this thread and the now picture. Beautiful work!

I love your other vehicles too....Kat

Hi Kat,

Yes, there is a bit of a difference from start to finish! I really appreciated your comments along the way. A little encouragement does go a long way. I did appreciate yours and everyone else's encouragement!

Hopefully, I can add to the vehicle collection as time goes on and help to keep these great vehicles alive.

I do need to work over my '42 Willys MBT trailer now. I may even post some photos. ;)

Zeph

• 2 weeks later...

I had a somewhat eventful week this past week. On Wednesday I had lunch with the three Pearl Harbor survivors in our area. That was a real treat, and they have invited me to attend their monthly lunches in the future...very cool.

A few days later, this past Saturday and Sunday, I took Kelley down to the WWII 91st Bomb Group reunion in Foster City California. Most of the USAAF vets were in their 90’s, but they were a feisty bunch. I was in awe listening to their stories. With the exception of Kelley, who evaded, it seemed like most ended the war as POW’s. The majority seemed to have been pilots as well. I was very happy I talked Kelley into going by volunteering to be the driver down and back. I figured that since I marked my GPW in the 91st BG markings we just had to go. Kelley had a great time.

Here’s one gentleman we had dinner with, William Hanna. He actually flew 7 missions past his required 25. He said that Col. Terry was very persuasive. I guess so! Probably couldn't of talked me in to it. Mr. Hanna piloted “the Liberty Run” B-17 of the 401st Bomb Squadron. He was a real character. We found a photo of his plane in one of the books there and I snapped this photo:

post-24058-0-99017700-1401245637.jpg

Here is Kelley in all his glory. Hard to believe he had a bit of a worn out voice on the way home. I went to bed at midnight and most of the vets were still going:

post-24058-0-73571000-1401245674.jpg

One of the veterans there, Frank Farr, has written three books about his experiences during the war. I picked up a copy of one of his books Flak Happy and had him sign it for me. He is coming through my area next month and is going to stop by and check out my collection. That will be a real treat!

Zeph

I had a somewhat eventful week this past week. On Wednesday I had lunch with the three Pearl Harbor survivors in our area. That was a real treat, and they have invited me to attend their monthly lunches in the future...very cool.

Looks like you had a great time! Also looks like you will have some more great times in the future. You are lucky to be invited to lunch.

...Kat

HI Kat,

Yes, I am very honored to have been invited. I told them that I would bring one of my WWII vehicles to the next lunch. They were very interested in that. Should be fun!

Zeph

willysmb44

Love the markings. I'm a life member of the 91st BG association and for a while, had my 1944 MB painted in 323rd SQ markings.

Nice pooches! I have a dachshund who gets too wound up when riding in a car, so he's never been in my Jeep (my wife hates riding in the thing for the smell on her clothes afterward from the treated canvas, so that's a no-go, as well).

Love the markings. I'm a life member of the 91st BG association and for a while, had my 1944 MB painted in 323rd SQ markings.

Nice pooches! I have a dachshund who gets too wound up when riding in a car, so he's never been in my Jeep (my wife hates riding in the thing for the smell on her clothes afterward from the treated canvas, so that's a no-go, as well).

Thanks Lee. George and Gracie are usually wound up, but not while riding around...they love a parade. :)

The Meatcan

just catching up with this thread and am amazed at how cool the rig looks now! Incredible transformation. An excellent job all the way around.

thanks for sharing the long process with us and letting us "in on the action" too as it were. :lol:

Terry