Restoration of my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep

zepher11

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a great thread to follow, nice to see the project nearing completion.

Thank you! I first envisioned a basic metal building for my dream shop. Then, like my GPW project and everything else I get involved in, I ended up with something way beyond the initial concept. I just can't seem to stop myself. Anyway, after having a few extra days off over the holidays, I knocked out the paint, electrical and finally had the garage doors put on. I think, with the exception of some grading around the shop, I can call in for a final inspection. Then I can finish up my compressor air lines, build some shelving and work benches:

Happy New Year everyone!

Zeph

Looks great!

I'm eager to see it filled with WWII vehicles and stuff, hehe. ;)

Erwin

Thank you Erwin! It shouldn't take long. B)

Z

• 2 months later...

Well, now I can close out this thread as I have my next project ready to stain the new concrete in the garage. I was going to start a WC63, but this 1941 Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car came along. I think today will be my official start date to gauge my progress. I find it is good to have a goal:

CC_01.JPG

CC_02.JPG

CC_04.JPG

Plus, I now have something to watch over the garage:

Toby_Mug_01.JPG

Toby_Mug_02.JPG

Over and out...

Zeph

RustyCanteen

Zeph, congratulations on starting a new project! This thread was one of my favorites to read, and although the jeep is now done I look forward to your new project updates.

Thank you for taking the time to share your projects with us.

RC

Great!

Something to look forward to again.

I loved following the progress on the jeep, so I'll be following the command car progress too.

Erwin

Catfishcraig

Thank you so much for sharing this project! I always look forward to your posts and will be following your posts on your new project.

God Bless

Craig

Great!

Something to look forward to again.

I loved following the progress on the jeep, so I'll be following the command car progress too.

Erwin

Thank you so much for sharing this project! I always look forward to your posts and will be following your posts on your new project.

God Bless

Craig

Thanks guys. It will be a learning experience. Looking forward to getting this back on the road!

Zeph

I am really looking forward to following a new series of your adventures, Zeph!!

Good luck!

Love that 'Twelve O'Clock High' mug, by the way! :love:

Cheers, Sjef

I am really looking forward to following a new series of your adventures, Zeph!!

Good luck!

Love that 'Twelve O'Clock High' mug, by the way! :love:

Cheers, Sjef

Thanks Sjef!

• 3 weeks later...

I attended the Red Bluff Round Up Rodeo Parade yesterday with Kelley. A bit warm to have the top off, but Kelley likes it that way. He told me that he was a little sore from weed eating for three hours the day before. At 93 I guess that will happen. :)

Largest parade I have every been a part of to date.. Very impressive. Everyone likes their rodeos up here!

RB_RU_2015_01.JPG

Zeph,

I am sure this is a day you will cherish for the rest of your life. It is great that you gave him a ride in your jeep! I am sure he had a great time.

...Kat

Zeph,

I am sure this is a day you will cherish for the rest of your life. It is great that you gave him a ride in your jeep! I am sure he had a great time.

...Kat

I really will Kat. What is nice is that Kelley really enjoys getting out there and chatting it up..

Nice Zeph... Great wood D-handle shovel you've got on the Jeep... Still looking for a model like that...

Johan

Hi Johan,

I think I picked this up at Tower Park a couple of years ago. Don't see them available very often, so I'm always keeping an eye out for one. I'm actually heading down to TP Wednesday morning. Looking forward to it.

Z

• 4 weeks later...

Great another project !!! I guess you might be talking to John B out here in Minn for some parts for the staff car.Clark.

• 2 weeks later...

Great another project !!! I guess you might be talking to John B out here in Minn for some parts for the staff car.Clark.

Oh yeah, I have already spoken to John. I'm a big supporter of his. :)

• 3 years later...

Been some time since I posted a photo of the GPW. I finally completed the '43 Willys MBT trailer project, so brought it out with the GPW for a little display today.

Plus, Ralphie has been bugging me for some time to get the GPW out of the garage, so I finally acquiesced and made it happen today:

CC_357.JPG

CC_01131.JPG

CC_02135.JPG

CC_81.JPG

• 6 months later...

This restoration is a legend! Do you still drive it around?

You know, after about five years or so years I have less than 200 miles on it. Most in the first month of completing. It has been years since I have really driven it. With work and my other projects, I find that my real enjoyment when I have a Saturday free is the restoration of these historic vehicles. Finished my Command Car a couple years ago, and I think I just broke 100 miles on it. Once again, busy working on another vehicle when I get any free time at home.

Zeph,

What are you working on now? I restore vehicles vicariously thru you! Hahaha!

Kat

Hi Kay,

I have a couple irons in the fire so to speak. I took some time this last year and restored a 1943 Willys MBT trailer. I was thinking of posting a thread on that showing the start to finish. I might do that over the holidays. I have been working on a 1941 Dodge WC26 Carryall. I had thought about a thread on that as well. Here's a couple of photos. This is what it looked like when I adopted it:

CC_2113.JPG

Here's what it looks like now:

CC_1057.JPG

CC_2511.JPG

Actually, I have most of the chassis completed:

CC_4121.JPG

CC_4751.JPG

CC_4831.JPG

I also picked up a 1942 Dodge WC57 Command Car for restoration:

CC_04122.JPG

CC_03129.JPG

Then, just recently, I picked up a 1940 Dodge VC1 Command Car. It's a little larger than a Jeep:

VC1_13.JPG

VC1_10.JPG

Cont....