Restoration of my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep

zepher11

I asked the same basic question on the Gee. Got a good laugh when I saw it asked here by Kat.

Sorry to here about George. I know our fur kids are a big part of our family.

Mark

Thank you Mark. These guys have really wormed their way into my heart. :love:

Looks like you have cuddly little guy there!

Zeph,

I am so very sorry to hear about George! Since you started this thread, I have come to love your dogs as much as I have seeing your jeep updates. He will be in my prayers.

...Kat

Thank you so much Kat! We just found out that George has been accepted to college...as a patient. He has an appointment at the University of California at Davis. They have a well know veterinarian school and have agreed to see George. We just want to rule everything out before we give up. Thankfully, he has been feeling well the past few days. We need him to keep an eye on the garage project and keep the guys honest.

It was 104 today, but the guys knocked out the siding, and the roofer nailed it...so much for the "don't put the gutters on until after I paint it" instructions... The photos have a little orange tinting to them as another fairly large wildfire erupted in the area. That time of year...lots of sirens and smoke:
Garage_9-10-2014_01.JPG
Garage_9-10-2014_02.JPG

Zeph

We just found out that George has been accepted to college...as a patient.

Zeph,

That is great news! I hope that George passes all of his tests and graduates from college! :love:

I have to admit that I am more excited about hearing good news about George than seeing the garage updates. :)

...Kat

Zeph,

You know all of us here enjoyed seeing George and Gracie in this thread as much as the GPW and garage. I agree with Kat and also hope George graduates college.

RC

Good to hear George is going to get some attention from UC Davis.

Yes, Molly is quite cuddly.

104° is a bit warm. You will need one of these in the shop...

post-63031-0-47553000-1410563651.jpg

Thanks everyone. It will be good to have George looked at by the one of the best Vet schools out there.

Those are nice coolers Mark. We have one in our Motor Pool at work. They work great. If it were up to me, since we have two acres behind our house, I would have build the garage close to the pool. I couldn't work out in the garage nowadays when it is above 110 during the summer if it weren't for the pool. In the end, I had to build it out front as my wife said that she would never see me if I had my way and built it behind the house. I think she had a valid point... B)

• 2 weeks later...

Busy week this past week, but the project continues:

Garage_9-18-2014_02.JPG

Garage_9-19-2014_02.JPG

Garage_9-19-2014_04.JPG

Garage_9-19-2014_03.JPG

Garage_9-19-2014_05.JPG

Garage_9-19-2014_07.JPG

Kat, you'll appreciate this one :) :

Garage_9-19-2014_01.JPG

A little painting yesterday:

Garage_9-20-2014_02.JPG

Garage_9-20-2014_04.JPG

A garage for a Jeep has to be OD :)

-Dave

My wife did ask me one time how the house ended up in OD! I figured I would just continue the tradition...

Garage_9-21-2014_03.JPG
Garage_9-21-2014_02.JPG

I took Little Zeph and the Dodges out to the local air show today for a static display for Saturday and Sunday. All of the planes put on a show today as we set up. I especially liked the P38 as well as the Hellcat and Zero simulated dog fight. They let me sneak in and take a few photos with the planes as well:
Hellcat_and_Zero_11.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_10.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_09.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_08.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_07.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_06.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_05.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_04.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_02.JPG
Hellcat_and_Zero_01.JPG
Low level P38 video. Love that sound:

very cool! the jeep fits in with those warbirds quite nicely B)

Terry

Thanks Terry! I was also able to sneak in and get some shots with the B-25 the next day as well.

Evidently, it was a slow news day, so I was pinned down for an interview about my vehicles. Since I'm 53, I got a plug in at the end about trying to get some younger people involved. For what it's worth:

Great video! Your vehicles looked great. I can't wait to see your next restoration.

...Kat

Thank you Kat! Looking forward to getting started on the next project as well. Slowly trying to get the garage project wrapped up...

I found the two photos I shot with the B-25. What a beautiful airplane:

GPW_0119.JPG

GPW_0218.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Zeph,

I have friend here in Tucson, that put his hand built Kubelwagen replica up for sale at a "in no hurry to sell it price".

Asked him about it the other day and he told me he sold it for that price.

Zeph,

I have friend here in Tucson, that put his hand built Kubelwagen replica up for sale at a "in no hurry to sell it price".

Asked him about it the other day and he told me he sold it for that price.

Hi Mark,

Well, one never knows. It's getting closer and closer to holding onto it now as time marches on and my garage project gets nearer to completion. Getting close!

Regards,

Zeph

Attended a Veterans day parade in our City here in Northern California. I took little Zeph and all was well until about 40 minutes before the parade. As I was cruising at about 35 mph down the boulevard the engine sputtered and died. Didn't sound good. It would start a couple of times, but just barely run for a few seconds as if no fuel. I pulled the fuel line and used the pump on the fuel pump, but just a little gurgling. Turned the engine over a bit with the fuel line disconnected and no fuel. I had filled it up the day before and had driven about 10 miles since that time, so I'm guessing fuel pump? Also whist looking at everything, I noticed the front tab on the intake manifold is cracked on the firewall side of the bolt hole. I had detected that she was running just a tad off the past few months, but not enough to investigate...this may be that issue. I don't know. We''ll see.
Anyhow, I had also brought my Dodge WC52. Thankfully, I had just acquired a tow rope from G503 member "Wingnutt" (thank you!) which came in handy as I had Kelley with me and the local Pearl Harbor survivors along for the ride this day. We took lemons and made lemonade so to speak.
Little Zeph on the hook:
Vet_Parade_2014_01.JPG
Vet_Parade_2014_02.JPG
My favorite photo of the day:
Vet_Parade_2014_03.JPG
Kelley in all his glory:
Vet_Parade_2014_04.JPG
Vet_Parade_2014_06.JPG
No man left behind. We had to stop to pick up a straggler enroute. :)
Vet_Parade_2014_08.JPG
The gentleman in the red shirt was on the USS Maryland:
Vet_Parade_2014_09.JPG
Vet_Parade_2014_10.JPG
Vet_Parade_2014_11.JPG
Vet_Parade_2014_12.JPG
Evidently, I have been spending too much time on the garage project and need to get back into the Motor Pool!

• 3 weeks later...
Haven't posted on the shop project lately as I have continued to accumulate funds by various means so I can get it completed. When there is a will there is a way! I went ahead and wired it myself and just passed my rough electrical inspection...was sweating that. Now I can move forward with insulation and sheet rock. I wasn't planning on insulation or sheet rock, but in the end decided to go ahead and find a way to get it done. I've been selling things here and there and finally ordered my garage doors last month, so they are on the way now. Likely be another month or so before they arrive. Tough to find garage doors on demand around here, or find a garage door company to return my phone calls, or a sheet rock contractor or an insulation company. The economy must be busy and no one needs the work. No wonder I end up doing it myself. Oh well...
Anyway, before I buttoned it up I thought I would document some of the nice lumber and beams that won't see daylight again:
Video:
Slipped a couple little things in before I started the wring project:
Garage_9-29-2014_01.JPG
I went ahead and wired all the garage doors for the sensors and the controllers as well as wired in three 240v outlets for my compressor, welder...etc. However, I don't have a 240v welder, but one never knows. I planned to run air lines inside the walls, but now I have decided to run the tubing on the walls after the sheet rock is in. That's as of today, but I seem to change my mind daily on this subject.
I was only going to install a few electrical outlets and then the next thing I know I have run over 1,500 feet of wire. I'm used to a garage that has two plugs...one for my stereo and one for a tool I was using at any given time. I have a few more outlet options now. I also wired for seven outdoor lights and one light in each of the dormers for some odd reason. I also wired a light right at the man door that is tied to my compressor. It will be red in color and only be on when the compressor is switched on. Hopefully, that will help me to remember to turn it off. I doubt it, but it's worth a try. If I only had a nickle for every time that thing has awaken my in the middle of the night!
Garage_01.JPG
Garage_02.JPG
Garage_05.JPG
Garage_03.JPG
Garage_04.JPG
Garage_06.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

That's some fine craftmanship.

Erwin

Thanks Erwin! Here are some more photos from this week. Last year we had basically no rain. Now that I have started the sheet rock job it has been raining for over a week now and projected to continue for another week or two! If I knew starting this project would solve the drought around here, I would have started last year! lol

Insulation:

Garage_07.JPG

Garage_09.JPG

Sheet rock:

Garage_12.JPG

Garage_13.JPG

Garage_14.JPG

Garage_15.JPG

I had to kick the vehicles out for a bit and now they are predicting about three inches of rain on Wednesday and 60 mile per hour winds. No luck in getting the garage door people out for another few weeks. I begged, but they're having none of it.

Zeph

Zeph,

Looking very good. I hope the rain doesn't blow in on your sheet rock. Is there a way to block the doors?

I am curious as to why you chose sheet rock for a garage/shop. Isn't that pretty expensive? I think it will look great but am just curious. I live in the South so I am used to seeing peg board with lots of hooks for tools. :) Do y'all do it differently in California? ;)

...Kat

Zeph,

Looking very good. I hope the rain doesn't blow in on your sheet rock. Is there a way to block the doors?

I am curious as to why you chose sheet rock for a garage/shop. Isn't that pretty expensive? I think it will look great but am just curious. I live in the South so I am used to seeing peg board with lots of hooks for tools. :) Do y'all do it differently in California? ;)

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Sheet rock is common around here. Most, if not all, new construction the garages will be sheet rocked. I initially wasn't planning on it, but ended up getting a good deal from a friend of a friend. Total job is just under $4,000 with the taping and mud. Not bad for California.

It gets really hot around here, so that is why I decided to go ahead and sheet rock/insulate. Not so much for the cold...but it sure won't hurt. Well, that and the fact I'm not getting any younger... lol

During the GPW project, I could work out in my garage all day when it was 110 to 115 degrees out, but it was hotter in the garage sometimes. The new shop with the insulation and ridge vent running the entire 60' length of the shop should really help out and make a difference.

Take care,

Zeph