Restoration of my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep

zepher11

Zeph,

It is going in quickly! Did you write your name in the concrete? ;)

...Kat

No I didn't, but I thought briefly of sticking in one of the dog's paw in there! I then thought they would frolic all over the fresh concrete, so I decided against it. :(

Hello,

it seems so easy when described ... they did a pretty good job.

Thanks for this new episode B)

E

No problem!

Zeph, take it from someone who knows. I can tell that it's not big enough already. They never are!

You my friend would know. I've been in your garage/museum, and it easily three times the size of mine...and it's getting there. Thankfully, I have more room in back...just in case I need it someday!

That is looking fantastic Zeph!

Thanks RC. Here are some progress from today. From this:
Garage_8-26-2014_01.JPG
To this in one day:
Garage_8-27-2014_01.JPG
Garage_8-27-2014_02.JPG
Gracie woke up from her nap and found this in the yard:
Garage_8-27-2014_04.JPG
The anchor pots turned out pretty good:
Garage_8-27-2014_06.JPG
Garage_8-27-2014_05.JPG
I also shot a little video. The new iPhone takes blurry video, however:

RustyCanteen

That is going up faster than a bailey bridge over the Rhine! Ok, maybe not, but it is some impressive progress!!

RC

That is going up faster than a bailey bridge over the Rhine! Ok, maybe not, but it is some impressive progress!!

RC

That's a funny one RC! Thanks...

Explain what the purpose of the anchor pots are for.

The anchor pots are used by frame shops for frame repair and straightening. I have a need every once in a while to chain down something in order to bend the frame or the like. Recently, when I was installing the tub on my GPW project by myself, I was trying to push the tub over on the body to get the tub mounting hole to be even with the frame mounting hole in order to insert the bolt. I could push off the garage wall with my porta-power, but the whole vehicle would slide across the floor. Frustrating.

I have used my neighbor's anchors in the past to straighten frames and separate parts, so these will be handy for the odd and strange projects I like to work on. Now that I have them, however, it's likely I will never use them. :lol:

That looks great!

-Dave

Thank you Dave!

Zeph

I worked from dark to dark, so didn't get to see any progress yesterday. This is where the shop is this afternoon. It's looking rather large...I guess since it is about 450 square feet larger than the house that was expected:
Garage_8-29-2014_01.JPG
Garage_8-29-2014_02.JPG
Garage_8-29-2014_03.JPG
Garage_8-29-2014_04.JPG

I found this photo on the outside of one of the resident's room at Iris's assisted living facility today. I'm going to guess that it is a 1942 GPW. I did a double take when I saw the hood number as it is only 338 numbers higher than the hood number on my 1942 GPW. Don't know what year this photo was taken, nor what kind of stars those are:
WWII_GPW_01.JPG
WWII_GPW_02.JPG
Anyone have an idea where this might be, or what type of star that is?

RustyCanteen

Great progress Zeph!!

Now that is a great photo!! Yes, it is a 1942 GPW. The star (and note they used it on the hood too) is the insignia of the 5th Service Command, whose HQ was in Ohio. I would darn near be certain that was a Louisville produced GPW.

RC

RC,

You beat me to it. I thought that star looked like my 5th Service Command patch but I didn't know any of the great detail that you posted. :D

Zeph,

The shop is larger than the house. That sounds about right.... :lol:

...Kat

Great progress Zeph!!

Now that is a great photo!! Yes, it is a 1942 GPW. The star (and note they used it on the hood too) is the insignia of the 5th Service Command, whose HQ was in Ohio. I would darn near be certain that was a Louisville produced GPW.

RC

Yes, that is it. I am so used to seeing the 9th Service Command markings on all of the vehicles out here that I wasn't thinking in that direction. I have see that insignia before, but didn't it didn't pop into my mind yesterday. Thanks RC!

RC,

You beat me to it. I thought that star looked like my 5th Service Command patch but I didn't know any of the great detail that you posted. :D

Zeph,

The shop is larger than the house. That sounds about right.... :lol:

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Yes, it is bigger than the house...not that there is anything wrong with that! :)

Is that HardyBoard siding?

It is. I like that It is darn near bullet proof being fiber-cement based. I also like the 50 year warranty, that is is termite resistant and that it is 100% fire resistant...got to protect those WWII vehicles! It is quite heavy, but it looks just like wood lap siding. Seems it is 3 to 4 times more costly than wood siding, however. In the long run I think I will be happy with it.

It's just like restoring a military vehicle...one starts out with just wanting to do the basic restoration, and then the next thing one knows all the good stuff is being ordered! :rolleyes:

Zeph

Can't go wrong with that type of siding. Well worth the extra $$$ IMO. Looks much better than vinyl siding. I just wish I'd known about it when we built our house because surely would have spent the money to have it installed.

Can't go wrong with that type of siding. Well worth the extra $$$ IMO. Looks much better than vinyl siding. I just wish I'd known about it when we built our house because surely would have spent the money to have it installed.

I have seen one or two houses with vinyl in my lifetime. Very rare out here. Most are stucco or wood. I can also see that the Hardie Board is a lot more labor intensive to install. I'm really liking it. My windows have now been manufactured and shipped. I can pick them up tomorrow. I also made my decision yesterday afternoon between a metal roof vs. asphalt comp. I went with the comp. They sure didn't waste anytime getting the material to the job site!:

Garage_9-5-2014_03.JPG
Garage_9-5-2014_05.JPG

It looks great!

-Dave

Thanks Dave!

Zeph,

Looking good but there is something important missing from your pictures. Where are the dogs inspecting the work? :lol:

...Kat

Have no fear, G&G, Inc. have been busy inspecting that's for sure. This evening Gracie was distracted from her inspecting duties by the coveted "white box" my wife brought home:
Garage_9-5-2014_01.JPG
Garage_9-5-2014_02.JPG
There is a reason they call the Vizsla the most cat like breed. She landed on her feet...
I have very sad news, however. George has been diagnosed with an enlarged heart. We don't know how much longer he will be with us, and I can't express how sad we are for him. Overall, he is still in fine shape, and thankfully, he doesn't know. It is just a matter of time, so we are just enjoying every day we have left with him. The poor guy will be only six years old next week.
Zeph

That is indeed very sad, Zeph.

Let's face it, George is part of your family. But you can find some comfort in the knowledge that he has a wonderful life with you.

Lots of courage!

That is indeed very sad, Zeph.

Let's face it, George is part of your family. But you can find some comfort in the knowledge that he has a wonderful life with you.

Lots of courage!

Im sorry to hear about your dog.

-Dave

Thank you guys. It is tough to see him slow down more and more everyday... :(

Zeph,

Looking good but there is something important missing from your pictures. Where are the dogs inspecting the work? :lol:

...Kat

I asked the same basic question on the Gee. Got a good laugh when I saw it asked here by Kat.

Sorry to here about George. I know our fur kids are a big part of our family.

Mark

post-63031-0-42782800-1410129280.jpg

Zeph,

I am so very sorry to hear about George! Since you started this thread, I have come to love your dogs as much as I have seeing your jeep updates. He will be in my prayers.

...Kat