Restoration of my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep

zepher11

HI Zephyr,
Looks like you're doing a quality job, I'm very impressed. You're very fortunate to have so many F-marked parts since they're really hard to find on the loose. Isn't it funny how so many of them are marked in places you'd almost never see? I think when you're done you're going to have one swell GPW. Good job.
Tom Bowers

Thanks, Tom. Yes, I find it fascinating how everything is marked with an "F." As you say, they are located in places where they would never be seen until the vehicle is disassembled. Today I was cleaning my steering knuckles and I wasn't really looking for any "F" marks, since I know my axle housings are Willys. However, upon bead blasting the knuckles this was revealed:

post-5589-0-78851900-1405447246.jpg

This is a really small mark...about an 1/8" tall. Every time I see one now I find myself wondering where all the "F" stamps have gone. The above is on a machined surface, so someone would have had to stamp it later I would think. Somehow this knuckle migrated to the extra Willys axle I had.

Thanks again for the comments. I appreciate it!

Zeph

This is extremely interesting. I am enjoying following your progress. Thank you for taking the time to show us your hard work.

....Kat

Thanks, Kat! Yes, it is a bit of work, but it is enjoyable work. I also am happy that I am documenting my work. It's nice to look back and see that I actually accomplished something that I think is worthwhile! :D

Regards,

Zeph

Pretty good looking progress so far! I'm not a vehicle type, but sure enjoying seeing the work you've accomplished.

Your comment about a step forward and two back... Look at it this way, having to deal with all those little issues right now just ensures you'll hopefully never have to worry about them again, and can know with confidence that it will not fail, let alone the selling point you will have in hand someday, if you decide to ever sell it, where you could say with 100% certainty "I went through and replaced and rebuilt EVERYTHING on this thing!"

Please continue to post more as you get time.

MW

Pretty good looking progress so far! I'm not a vehicle type, but sure enjoying seeing the work you've accomplished.

Your comment about a step forward and two back... Look at it this way, having to deal with all those little issues right now just ensures you'll hopefully never have to worry about them again, and can know with confidence that it will not fail, let alone the selling point you will have in hand someday, if you decide to ever sell it, where you could say with 100% certainty "I went through and replaced and rebuilt EVERYTHING on this thing!"

Please continue to post more as you get time.

MW

Hi MW, There have been a few times where I was thinking about taking a short cut or two and skipping a step when I run into an issue...primarily because I only have a few hours on the weekend to get things done...however, I really want to do the best I can as well as create a solid documented history of this restoration. Therefore, even though it costs me some time, I go for the correct and proper procedure everytime! At least as best that I know how... :ermm: Without doubt I am intimately learning my G503 technical manuals which I enjoy!

Thank you for your comments! I will post more photos as I move along...

Zeph

Sorry, but I had to ask... Any of your neighbors ever stop by and ask things like "What's with the funky set of wind chimes?"

They must think you are some mad scientist... no doubt working in your garage until the wee hours of the morning, in the dark, with an occassional fit of maniacal laughter erupting when something went together well, interspersed with the occassional curse word when something doesn't go well... :lol:

MW

Johan Willaert

Congratulations on a great job!

Meanwhile I've updated the title of this topic to a more appropriate one.

Please keep us 'posted' on your progress....

Sorry, but I had to ask... Any of your neighbors ever stop by and ask things like "What's with the funky set of wind chimes?"

They must think you are some mad scientist... no doubt working in your garage until the wee hours of the morning, in the dark, with an occassional fit of maniacal laughter erupting when something went together well, interspersed with the occassional curse word when something doesn't go well... :lol:

MW

Hi MW,

That is a good one! :lol: I actually try to be low key and keep my project work out of sight and in the back yard as much as possible. I also keep the noise down early in the morning and late in the evening...just to keep the peace. As you can see from the photo above, my only neighbors behind me have four hooves and are more concerned about eating, so they are really good about keeping their heads down and not complaining! :thumbsup:

By the way, the springs did have a very nice tone to them!

Regards,

Zeph

• 2 weeks later...

Logged some time on the project today as the weather was super nice! I think I have all the bronze bushings in place on the front axle housing, and I was able to sandblast the housing and assorted parts and get them in primer. Tomorrow I hope the get these sanded and in OD tomorrow. That would be a nice accomplishment. Here are some photos.

Pressing (well, hammering) out the spindle bushings:

post-5589-0-63279300-1405447344.jpg

New spindle bushings installed:

post-5589-0-75944100-1405447348.jpg

Here are some pictures of the axle housing and parts. It’s amazing how much time it takes to clean everything to just get it in primer. But it is nice to see some accomplishment....it usually seems to me that I am spinning my wheels a lot:

post-5589-0-26331500-1405447353.jpg

post-5589-0-84823600-1405447357.jpg

post-5589-0-75657500-1405447363.jpg

post-5589-0-47245300-1405447368.jpg

Next up will be the assembly of the front axle.

Thanks for looking!

Zeph

I sanded the primer and painted some OD on the front axle and components this morning. Nice to get to this point:

post-5589-0-56652700-1405447466.jpg

post-5589-0-68240600-1405447470.jpg

post-5589-0-12694000-1405447475.jpg

post-5589-0-30948200-1405447480.jpg

Zeph

Wow! Looking good!

Zeph, Coming along nicely :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Here are some more photos from yesterday and today. I had to pull the pinion gear. There was some sand residue from my over zealous sandblasting that entered the housing, and I didn't want to take the chance of damage. So I removed, cleaned and reinstalled. The carrier with new bearings went in next. After that detour was over, I worked on the front steering knuckles. It took me some time to get the proper amount of shims to get the knuckle bearing preload I needed. Finally got it dialed and then installed the seals. Next will be inserting the axles and then the wheels and brakes.

Here are some pictures of the pinion through the carrier install:

post-5589-0-27615200-1405447894.jpg
post-5589-0-72764500-1405447898.jpg
post-5589-0-87156300-1405447902.jpg

A decent assortment of shims are very handy to have for setting the knuckle preload:

post-5589-0-46550300-1405447907.jpg

New steering knuckle seals:

post-5589-0-37895400-1405447912.jpg

Getting ready for the knuckle:

post-5589-0-81954900-1405447916.jpg

Test fitting the knuckle:

post-5589-0-13118600-1405447924.jpg

I wanted to use the original seal retainers. The ones in the kit above are like sheet metal. The originals are cast. Also, the seal system is a little different now than they were back in the day. The originals had seen some use over the past 70 years:

post-5589-0-76226800-1405447928.jpg

Trying to figure out how to make the new style seals work with my old seal retainers:

post-5589-0-63391500-1405447934.jpg
post-5589-0-29668500-1405447939.jpg

Getting close:

post-5589-0-71127800-1405448059.jpg
post-5589-0-75697000-1405448063.jpg

post-5589-0-86569500-1405448067.jpg

Both knuckles installed. This was a nice accomplishment for me. The manuals come in very handy!

Thanks for looking,

Zeph

Getting close:

Both knuckles installed. This was a nice accomplishment for me. The manuals come in very handy!

Thanks for looking,

Zeph

I remember doing mine. It took quite a while to get it all figured out for the shimming and the preload. Even had to go buy a small fish scale to test the preload.

Simply outstanding!!!! My uncle had a Willys when I was a kid and I always wanted to have one myself.

I will follow your progress going forward.

Simply outstanding!!!! My uncle had a Willys when I was a kid and I always wanted to have one myself.

I will follow your progress going forward.

nice restoration!!

Thanks guys. It has been slow going as of late. This weekend I had to actually perform pool and yard maintenance in February! 82 degrees on Friday. That type of work should still be two months away. I did manage to dismantled and started cleaning up the rear axle housing, and I was able to install the front wheel bearing races.

Zeph

You do realize that after your first test drive you'll have to seek medical attention right?

To remove the smile from your face!!

You do realize that after your first test drive you'll have to seek medical attention right?

To remove the smile from your face!!

Yes, I hope that is the case! Just reading your comment made me smile. :)

Thanks, Zeph

I finally mopped up my rivet job on the front horn frame gussets, shot a little more primer and then sanded down the frame in preparation for a couple of coats of OD. Wow, first week in March and it was 83 degrees! No rain this year and we will have water shortages, but it’s hard to complain with weather this nice! It also makes for a great day to paint.

Anyway, I finally had a friend over who helped me hulk it out of the garage (lucky him :thumbsup: ). I cobbled together a little support system in order to get at both the top and bottom of the frame without having to handle it after I began the paint process. It actually worked very well. I wish I was this prepared when I laid down the original primer coat. I had to lift the frame and flip it over when I did that a few months ago. Here are some photos:

post-5589-0-57457800-1405455540.jpg

post-5589-0-00591600-1405455545.jpg

post-5589-0-44423800-1405455549.jpg

post-5589-0-08218400-1405455554.jpg

post-5589-0-50122100-1405455558.jpg

post-5589-0-04322300-1405455563.jpg

post-5589-0-38554100-1405455567.jpg

post-5589-0-78213100-1405455574.jpg

post-5589-0-93530300-1405455581.jpg

I’m currently dismantling the rear axle housing in order to get it in shape. I will also be working on the front axle brake components. That last picture is of the front brake hub/drums. I was able to get the local autoparts store to turn all four of my drums. I was a little worried that they wouldn't do them. The drums have the Ford "F" mark, so I really wanted to keep them in service. Whew, very happy to retain them. Once both housings are complete, I will be able to start trying to figure out how to bolt up the housings and leaf springs to the frame. Now that will feel like I accomplished something!

Zeph

Am really enjoying your restoration project! Congrats on your progress so far!

Thanks, disneydave!

Zeph

Interesting wiper seals on the knuckles. Who supplies these?

Any chance of a close up of the id plate on the knuckle wiper seal cover? IIRC this states the type of axle U/joint in the axle ie Rzeppa, Tracta or Bendix.

Splendid restoration brings back memories of when I did mine back in 1979. However lost all the photos of the frame up build due to faulty film.

Interesting wiper seals on the knuckles. Who supplies these?

Any chance of a close up of the id plate on the knuckle wiper seal cover? IIRC this states the type of axle U/joint in the axle ie Rzeppa, Tracta or Bendix.

Splendid restoration brings back memories of when I did mine back in 1979. However lost all the photos of the frame up build due to faulty film.

I think it's actually more difficult to get the oringinal style vs. what I installed nowadays. I think any Jeep supplier can provide them. I happened to get my set with a bunch of new parts I aquired from another feller. I know that Ron Fitzpatrick on the G503.com website stocks them.

That is a real shame about losing your photos! That's one of the reasons I wanted to document my project here and on the G503. It forces me to pay attention to what I am doing and to take pictures and save them to look back on. It provides me with a little sense of accomplishment for even the little bit I have been able to accomplish to date. I'll try to remember to ge a photo of the ID plate this weekend. Thanks, Woody.

Zeph