M1910 Infantry Equipment

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Equipment marking

If these markings are not clear let me know and I can do close up details of anything needed.

post-5-1194368060.jpg

post-5-1194368065.jpg

post-5-1194368071.jpg

post-5-1194368076.jpg

Dang, Craig!

You come up with the best information!

You know, one day, you need to sit down and start writing some serious reference books, even self-published photocopy works would probably sell like hot cakes right off your kitchen table. You simply have an overwhelming amount of knowledge and a life's time worth of collecting experience (not to mention your collection, itself).

In the mean time, I certainly appreciate your taking the time and effort to selflessly share with the rest of us.

Thanks,

Mike

Greg Robinson
Dang, Craig!

You come up with the best information!

You know, one day, you need to sit down and start writing some serious reference books, even self-published photocopy works would probably sell like hot cakes right off your kitchen table. You simply have an overwhelming amount of knowledge and a life's time worth of collecting experience (not to mention your collection, itself).

In the mean time, I certainly appreciate your taking the time and effort to selflessly share with the rest of us.

Thanks,

Mike

I second that!!!

Greg

Gentlemen:

I believe that all these great illustrations come from a manual entitled Description of the INFANTRY EQUIPMENT Model of 1910, Government Printing Office 1917. Reprints of this publication are listed at Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegun.com) as Item No. BK2225 for $10.00. Don't know if they are in stock or not. Have had my copy for several years.

This is for those who would like a hard copy to study. The book has full text descriptions of all gear.

Enjoy.

Bagman

craig_pickrall

According to the manual the 5' Tape was not issued to everyone. It was issued to the First SGT for use in the field and elsewhere.

I like that early style haversack with the rounded tails, thick shoulder straps, and lace on meat can pouch. Anyone got an original?

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3026

There are several of them on the forum. Some are in the reference section at the above link. Others may have been added since then.

The straps are misleading in the pic. Actually they are a single thickness piece of cloth the same as the pack body and then the edging is applied to that. They are thin and soft.

Here are some pictures of my early M1910 gear. The haversack, mess kit pouch, pack tail and e-tool cover are undated. The belt looks to be dated 1913. The canteen cover is dated 1912. The first aid pouch is dated 1911 as is the mess kit, knife, fork and spoon. The bayonet is dated 1913 and the scabbard is dated 1912.

post-192-1194716554.jpg

post-192-1194716674.jpg

The shelter half is the pre-WW1 type with the two triangular ends and aluminum pins. The blanket is the 3 pound 1911 QM spec for the 1910 equipment.

Tim

• 3 years later...
The shelter half is the pre-WW1 type with the two triangular ends and aluminum pins. The blanket is the 3 pound 1911 QM spec for the 1910 equipment.

Tim

Very informative topic.

Thanks for showing. Where did you find the date on your scabbard?

Gentlemen:

I believe that all these great illustrations come from a manual entitled Description of the INFANTRY EQUIPMENT Model of 1910, Government Printing Office 1917. Reprints of this publication are listed at Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegun.com) as Item No. BK2225 for $10.00. Don't know if they are in stock or not. Have had my copy for several years.

This is for those who would like a hard copy to study. The book has full text descriptions of all gear.

Enjoy.

Bagman

This is true and attribution should have been made at the beginning, expecially since these have been previously published.

craig_pickrall

If you will look at the original post date you will see it was done 9 or 10 days after the forum started, it was done quickly to answer someones question and the same info is posted in other threads giving credit to the original manual. This is not from a reproduction publication but original manual.

If you will look at the original post date you will see it was done 9 or 10 days after the forum started, it was done quickly to answer someones question and the same info is posted in other threads giving credit to the original manual. This is not from a reproduction publication but original manual.

And that is the correct attribution. The need to avoid any copyright problems is more important than ever in this age of easily reproduced and transmitted information.

• 4 weeks later...
Frank Trzaska

Has anyone ever written a book about the development of the Model of 1910 gear detailing all the new equipment released that year? I see the photos here and have the booklet in question, I am asking about an in depth investigation or a history of the 1910 gear. If so what is the book title, or the best one available on the subject.

Thanks!

All the best

Frank Trzaska