Task Force 77 USS Kitty Hawk CVA 63 Patch - Age?

summersdogs

On November 4th CVA 63 again deployed to serve the cause of freedom and national security in waters of Southeast Asia. She arrived at Yokosuka, Japan, on 19th to relieve the Constellation as flagship for Rear Adm. David C. Richardson, Commander Task Force 77. On Nov. 26 she departed Yokosuka for Yankee Station via Subic Bay, and on Dec. 5 aircrafts from the carrier began their around-the-clock missions over North Vietnam.

Year was 1996 as found http://www.uscarriers.net/cv63history.htm

vintageproductions

I think it is a 50's variant. If it was for the cruise listed above and when they were on Yankee Station, one of the countries / cities would be shown as Viet-nam. If it was late 50's - early 60's it may show as Indo-china

kyhistorian01
I think it is a 50's variant. If it was for the cruise listed above and when they were on Yankee Station, one of the countries / cities would be shown as Viet-nam. If it was late 50's - early 60's it may show as Indo-china

It had to be from the 1960s because the Kitty Hawk wasn't Commissioned until 1961 and didn't join the 7th fleet until November of 1962. Also there is no mention of Task Force 77 in her official history until 1966.

Robert

summersdogs

Many thanks to each of you gentlemen for the information. I had been plodding through USS Kitty Hawk and Task Force 77 histories, and my few remaining synapses were overloaded. Truly appreciate the enlightenment !

Lynne

Salvage Sailor
It had to be from the 1960s because the Kitty Hawk wasn't Commissioned until 1961 and didn't join the 7th fleet until November of 1962. Also there is no mention of Task Force 77 in her official history until 1966.

Robert

Correct, it's early 1960's.

The dead giveaway is "FORMOSA" rather than "TAIWAN" on the patch scroll.