M1921 Thompson SMG

316th FS 324th FG

316th FS 324th FG

Picked this up at a yard sale over the weekend.

Needs a little clean up but otherwise ok. Will end up on the for sale forum I suspect, as I really have no need for it.

Welcome feedback

post-2463-1312811292.jpg

post-2463-1312811301.jpg

316th FS 324th FG
WHAT KIND OF YARD SALES DO YOU FIND WHERE YOU CAN PICK UP A THOMPSON??? :w00t:

Lol! That was my thought too, until I found out it was model made in Japan....heart definitely skipped a beat at first though.

carbinephalen

Should've done research before asking. For all those that don't know, MGC stands for the Model Gun Company out of Japan. I'll save you guys the leg work if you didn't! :lol:

316th FS 324th FG

Yeah, its a model. But, it apparently shoots blanks full auto, which I didnt realize.

Now to go find some...

Hey its a nice Thompson! MGC made good replicas, much better than the crap from Denix. I believe the firm doesnt exist anymore. I own a Colt Peacemaker from MGC, made in the 70s.

The Meatcan

It looks cool just as it is. But the fact you can fire blanks FULL AUTO, well, that is awesome! :w00t:

Terry

Yeah, its a model. But, it apparently shoots blanks full auto, which I didnt realize.

Now to go find some...

316th FS 324th FG,

I have about 50 of the MGC blank cartridges, all unloaded at the moment. They are heavy brass, and they work sort of backwards from a regular firearm. If you look inside the chamber, you will see a firing pin pointing towards the bolt of the MGC Thompson. The cartridges do not have normal primers, but instead they each have a hollow cavity in the front that can be filled with a primer compound that is activated by the impact of the firing pin, and works the action, which can be fired full auto. If you look at the top of the magazine, you will notice the feed lips are shaped differently, and are shorter than those on a normal Thompson magazine. I actually had one of the MGC magazines mixed in with my normal Thompson magazines for many years, and used it to fire regular ammo through my West Hurley M1 Thompson, until I acquired an MGC 1921 like yours, and realized that I had an MGC magazine that was intended for blanks.

If you ever fire it, the cartridges can be very corrosive. Looks like yours may have already been fired without cleaning immediately afterwards. There is one person I know of who will reload the cartridges, but I don't know at what cost.

DavidAlbert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

This is an obsolete model as they do not make these anymore, you are correct on that. They are very popular in Japan and UK and the older models are rather difficult to locate here in the U.S. I've got two of these thompsons one is a MGC m1921 thompson with the 50 round drum and 20 round mag never used, in excellent new condition that I have had for about 5 years. Came out of a collection where it was on display. It is a '70's production, very hight quality excellent version that I am toying around with selling. I also have a very early Hudson M1A1 Thompson sub that is even nicer quality than the MGC's. This is a very nice early version with a Kerr sling and 20 round mag that I am thinking of moving. I am in the midst of moving quite a few display guns. If there is any interest I may post some images here. I have a Water-cooled M1917A1/ M-60 and M2 .50 cal all from real USGI parts non-firing display guns very high quality display items that will even pass the hands on test. PM if interested in some pics.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

by all means please post some pictures - I sold mine a few months back - had a Thompson -a MP-40 & a 45 auto that I used in my collection of military weapons - always turned heads when people saw them

YEP! I have an MP-40 made by the same company, I picked it up in 1985 in Okinawa as a 'model' gun. Barrel is plastic but the remainder is metal...and it is made so well that it will take ORIGINAL MP-40 magazines. It also fired 'full auto' blanks, but they were a true Pain to re-load and corrosive as was stated.

These weapons are COOL! My son plays with the MP-40 now LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

When i first opened this i was like who could possibly be so lucky to find a full auto Tommy at a yard sale then i read the rest. But still great find very convincing model for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.