Who can help me...

michss

I saw some Marines as below

post-15570-1312795152.jpg

post-15570-1312795161.jpg

are they in MP uniforms?

if not,what they are?

and, anyone could show me the Marines MP in Dress/Service?

The top picture are Marines in "Dress Blue" Uniforms

In the second picture, I believe the white belts indicative of Drill Instructors.

I hope others have answers for you!

The only difference you will see with Marine MPs is the addition of their MP badge, whether or not not they are an MP or brig personell. The top picture, usually that cord he is wearing is indicative to officers that are aide de camps to general officers, not quite certain why a Sgt is wearing it or why as Ive never seen one worn like that. The gentlemen in their Service Alphas are wearing white belts probably because they are on a color or flag detail. Drill instructors wear either a green web belt with brass buckle for the normal "hats" and senior drill instructors wear black patent leather belts.

I saw some Marines as below

post-15570-1312795152.jpg

post-15570-1312795161.jpg

are they in MP uniforms?

if not,what they are?

and, anyone could show me the Marines MP in Dress/Service?

And the Marine in the Service Alphas on the top left is Sgt Aaron Reese. I served with that guy in Japan! How funny! Hes definatley not an MP!

The cord the Marine is wearing in the first picture is not an aide cord. A dress aide cord is much more ornate, and would be worn by an officer. If I'm not mistaken, Arclight was selling a navy dress aide cord that would look similar to what a Marine dress aide cord would be like.

The cord in the picture is a USMC pistol lanyard. It usually comes in combination with a whistle, making it a pistol & whistle lanyard. The picture shows a dress version. There is also a nylon cord that is used when the dress uniform is not worn.

Military Police wear this lanyard. I don't know if there are any others who do.

DG is correct, in the top photo the Sergeant is wearing a pistol lanyard. In my experience (30 years ago) anyone on duty, armed with a pistol wore the lanyard. I thought the Marines had gotten away from using them, but from the photo I guess not. If you look at the front of the holster you can see that the Sgt, has the lanyard just looped around and most likely not actually attached to the pistol. We used to do that, just clip the lanyard to the wire hanger on the holster and keep it out of the way of the weapon. It was just for dress, it wasn't very functional. But it looked cool and if you saw anyone with the lanyard you knew instantly that he was underarms.

In the second photo Stucky is correct, Senior Drill instructors wore a black leather belts and Assistant Drill Instructors wore that same buckle as in the photo but with an OD pistol belt. DIs never wore that white belt. Again, in my experience that belt is just a generic Marine Corps "Duty" belt. Anyone on "duty" Guard Duty, Duty NCO, Color Guard etc wore a belt like that while on post. When relieved of that post they took the belt off. It was just a way to show who was on duty at that time. Also, if that duty that you were standing required you to be armed the you would also wear the lanyard with the sidearm, but that was up to the local commanders.

Dennis

white belts aren't worn by typical duties. barracks duty, OOD, etc, wear a standard green pistol belt with gold NCO buckle...OOD himself is typically armed

white belts aren't worn by typical duties. barracks duty, OOD, etc, wear a standard green pistol belt with gold NCO buckle...OOD himself is typically armed

Brig,

My last trip to MCRD, (San Diego) there was a ceremony of some type going on. As I drone up to a blocked road, I stopped three Marines, all Sergeants, and asked directions. All three were dressed in Camoes, had DI hats on, well polished boots and White belts with a buckle that we see in the second picture.

I was under the impression they were DI's going to a function! Any ideas ??

Google is your friend:

7009. HONOR GUARD EQUIPMENT

1. The following items may be worn at the discretion of commanders by Marines performing duties as honor guards:

a. Belt, military police, cotton webbing, white w/waistplate

b. Carrier, pistol holster, cotton webbing, white

c. Cover, scabbard, bayonet, white

d. Gloves, cloth, white

e. Pocket, ammunition magazine, webbing, white, for pistol

f. Protector, holster, white

3. Marines assigned to security force duty will wear as required the following items:

3. Marines assigned to security force duty will wear as required the following items:

but,used by Band as well?

post-15570-1312857990.jpg

these are members of MCRD San Diego Band

No, the band follows different uniform regulations. The answers I dug up for you are for the pictures you originally posted. The second set of pictures you posted are band members. Their uniform regulations state the following:

6203. REGULATIONS FOR WEAR

1. Except for the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, blue dress "A"/"B" or blue-white dress "A"/"B" should normally be prescribed for off-station functions. When the band is performing in the blue dress uniform, and in a concert setting, it is appropriate for the conductors to wear the evening dress uniform. The musical unit officer will determine which uniform is most appropriate dependent upon the nature of the function.

2. The white military police belt may be prescribed with all service uniforms. Except when prescribed by the commander for wear during Honor Guard ceremonies, the white military police belt will not be worn with blue dress/blue-white dress uniforms. Commanders may prescribe the wear of the olive drab pistol/cartridge belts with the utility uniform by musicians during the performance of musical duties.

It had been a while since I had seen you post picture after picture of a USMC uniform piece then ask even more questions about that uniform piece once your original question had been answered.

Here are some links to uniform regulations you can read 'til your heart's content:

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcu.../MCUR/URCH6.htm

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcu.../MCUR/URCH7.htm

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/

They never wore white when I was on PI...if they did they took them off as soon as they left the parade deck

I would assume a lot of that is "perscribed by the commander." I don't pretend to be in the Marine Corps, but if I were, and I were a commander, I would not particularly warm to having my guys parade around in that white belt while wearing greens. I am not the most fashion forward person, but I don't think the white belt goes with anything other than the dress blue tunic.

I was a Marine Barracks Marine (Marine Barracks, Annapolis MD) from 83-85 (before such places went the way of the dino LOL) and we worth both the pistol lanyard (of which I still have an original box, someplace) when armed with same, (Except in cammies, when we wore the standard green laynard) and the white duty belt with EGA plate.

I still have my complete rig someplace, if I get time tomorrow I'll try and get some pics of it posted up. The belt, for us, included the .45 holster, with white 'diaper', white ammo pouch, and black nightstick holder. Getting the 'diaper' on the holster without tearing it, or getting it dirty, was a true PIA. The white belts collect dirt and crud like 'we' collect military stuff. Walk outside, they are dirty. You fail guardmount if they are dirty. So we were constantly bleaching and washing them. Putting the brass equipage on the belts (without, again, getting them dirty just from clean hands) was always a chore as well, and most of us learned to do it wearing the standard white gloves.

All this requires some time and effort to set your gear up prior to guard mount, (inspection, usually at 0700), and then NOT getting it cruddy if you didn't go immediately on duty.

We did, in fact, wear the white belt (it is very much built like the cartridge belt, but ours were NOT dyed cartridge belts, they were made white) with Alpha's, Charlies, Blues, and even Cammies on special occasions. We wore it with both the equipment mentioned above, and plain, depending on the ceremony or detail being done that day.

We also had a silver whistle, suspended from the right pocket if memory serves, on a silver chain.

There are no 'speciality' MP uniforms, as previously stated. The only thing that the MP's have to separate them is the badge, which they pin to the uniform of the day they are wearing.

I was a Marine Barracks Marine (Marine Barracks, Annapolis MD) from 83-85 (before such places went the way of the dino LOL) and we worth both the pistol lanyard (of which I still have an original box, someplace) when armed with same, (Except in cammies, when we wore the standard green laynard) and the white duty belt with EGA plate.

I still have my complete rig someplace, if I get time tomorrow I'll try and get some pics of it posted up. The belt, for us, included the .45 holster, with white 'diaper', white ammo pouch, and black nightstick holder. Getting the 'diaper' on the holster without tearing it, or getting it dirty, was a true PIA. The white belts collect dirt and crud like 'we' collect military stuff. Walk outside, they are dirty. You fail guardmount if they are dirty. So we were constantly bleaching and washing them. Putting the brass equipage on the belts (without, again, getting them dirty just from clean hands) was always a chore as well, and most of us learned to do it wearing the standard white gloves.

All this requires some time and effort to set your gear up prior to guard mount, (inspection, usually at 0700), and then NOT getting it cruddy if you didn't go immediately on duty.

We did, in fact, wear the white belt (it is very much built like the cartridge belt, but ours were NOT dyed cartridge belts, they were made white) with Alpha's, Charlies, Blues, and even Cammies on special occasions. We wore it with both the equipment mentioned above, and plain, depending on the ceremony or detail being done that day.

We also had a silver whistle, suspended from the right pocket if memory serves, on a silver chain.

There are no 'speciality' MP uniforms, as previously stated. The only thing that the MP's have to separate them is the badge, which they pin to the uniform of the day they are wearing.

Excellent! really anxious for your pics!

OK, here we go:

First is the entire rig, just as we wore them. This thing has been in storage since the 1980's so it's starting to show wear and tear but it's exactly as I last wore it in 1985.

post-271-1313257303.jpg

This is the .45 Mag pouch. You can also see the belt isn't a 'dyed' belt but made white.

post-271-1313257322.jpg

Nightstick and holder. Yes, we had to 'wrap the rope' on the stick, it was done a certain way and no deviation was allowed LOL.

post-271-1313257352.jpg

.45 holster with 'diaper'. The holster at one time was polished to a high gloss finish. And it's dated 1945 on the reverse. It hangs from a special attachment.

post-271-1313257444.jpg

Reverse of the holster with the 'diaper' on it. Yes, those are my initials on the equipment, since we only had so many washers and dryers it wasn't uncommon for us to wash the stuff 'by squad'. And it also prevented theft, since people did lose gear from time to time LOL

post-271-1313257855.jpg

This shows the belt reverse and attachment procedure

post-271-1313257875.jpg

Another reverse shot, again, my initials. The mag pouch obviously was a re'issue to me from another Marine since his stuff is crossed out.

post-271-1313257897.jpg

The holster carrier, showing remnants of the DSA number and nomenclature.

post-271-1313257920.jpg

Closeup of the belt plate. The EGA is held on the plate at 3 points, each taking a 'screwback' nut. (So if you ever find an oddball EGA with 3 screwpoints on it, it came from one of these belts). This is also the same belt plate that is used on the 'Duty belt' as worn by Drill instructors and Duty NCO's, except it's a green cartridge belt.

post-271-1313258277.jpg

The 'scarlet and gold' lanyard.

post-271-1313258290.jpg

Original box that the lanyard was issued in.

post-271-1313258303.jpg

That's it. Hope you enjoyed this little bit of USMC history.