Vietnam Buttpacks Worth $504?

Brig

airborne1968

I know they discuss these on another thread but I believe these are the USMC mag pouches for 30rd mags. They are dated 67 and have plastic snaps too.

And of course, the first aid pouch with plastic snaps.

Thanks for letting me share these with you. It was like Christmas today...unwrapping them from a storage bin. I hadn't pulled these out since 2007.

post-4228-1313368578.jpg

post-4228-1313368606.jpg

shrapneldude

I recently sold this one. Is it one of the rare ones, or the later training deal? Either way, I guess it's good to have the photo of it here for reference.

post-1424-1313820361.jpg

post-1424-1313820509.jpg

post-1424-1313820515.jpg

Looks like a M1967, made in 1986.

One of the main giveaways, not counting the date(some times there is none on the pack) is the D ring attachments, on the vietnam period one, as you can see in the above posted photos, is that the attachments are tabs with an eyelet/grommet.

I am amazed how much this pattern of gear is worth now. I learned of this site while researching a buttpack I purchased for cheap. Just days ago I sold it for $400 on eBay. Amazing. :thumbsup:

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6048.jpg

Yes Justin...I realise that. 70's?

Ian :think:

Sabrejet, the one you have posted images of is a commercial copy. You can tell by the single-stitching and the overly large attachment d-rings. Compare the rear of yours to the one shrapneldude posted. You can seen the workmanship is much higher quality (double-stitching, mil-spec d-rings, etc.).

The first Field Pack, Training were contracted under LP-specifications in 1977 (different specifications from the Field Pack, Combat, M-1967). The first contract appeared in FY1978. Craig has posted images of his FY1978 contracted dated one elsewhere on the forum.

Anyone have a source for the buckles used on this type of buttpack? I haven't been able find the metal ones online for sale anywhere. Thanks.

Sabrejet, the one you have posted images of is a commercial copy. You can tell by the single-stitching and the overly large attachment d-rings. Compare the rear of yours to the one shrapneldude posted. You can seen the workmanship is much higher quality (double-stitching, mil-spec d-rings, etc.).

The first Field Pack, Training were contracted under LP-specifications in 1977 (different specifications from the Field Pack, Combat, M-1967). The first contract appeared in FY1978. Craig has posted images of his FY1978 contracted dated one elsewhere on the forum.

You mean American- made....sold in outdoorsmans' stores and the like? So the "US" cipher is an add-on?

You mean American- made....sold in outdoorsmans' stores and the like? So the "US" cipher is an add-on?

It may or may not have been manufactured in the United States. Alot of the inferior commerical copies (with cost and time saving measures such as non-spec hardware and single-stitching) were manufactured in South Korea during the 1980s and 1990s. These were usually for larger United States wholesalers (such as Rothco, Fox, Atlanco, etc.) who, in turn, provided inventory for the "Army/Navy" store market and civilian consumption.

A large number of these copies have the US epitaph but no contract information. The US epitaph was usually done at the manufacturing level to make the item appear more like genuine government issue.