Vietnam Buttpacks Worth $504?

Brig

craig_pickrall

The nylon version is super rare and brings that type price. Before you head out to buy all of the nylon butt packs you see be aware of exactly what this one looks like. The later Training Pack in nylon is a copy of this one but not exact and with a much later date.

Yeah Brig... Call it crazy, insane, madness... but VN dated nylon buttpacks are incredibly rare and always fetch that area of price.

not much of a follower of Vietnam stuff...wow, learn something new everyday

There's also a set of nylon suspenders out there that will run $500 or so if you can find them. :w00t:

craig_pickrall

I have 2 sets of the suspenders in new condition. I was offered $750 for a set of those a couple of years ago. I was in a store when a case of those suspenders were opened back in the late 70's. There were about 500 sets in the box. I only bought 2 sets because they were priced about $18 a set which was high at the time. If I had only had vision I would have bought the whole box. The store was the Marine Shop at Quantico.

ArchangelDM

Wow just goes to show there are still some very rare pieces still available. Still shocked at the butt pack price wow :o

And can I find a 1980s nylon butt pack with a mint liner? Unless any of you guys can help?

Or for that matter a v.good OD 1980s Parka Wet Weather?

Brig - which suspenders? Do you mean the nylon version of the M1956? I picked up a set still tied with string for less than £10 in the UK last year and I saw another set for around the same price this year

craig_pickrall

The rare suspenders is the M1967 USMC version. They vary from the Army M1967 suspenders. The only M1956 nylon suspenders I have seen are repros. All the ones I have seen were made n Korea.

Here is the USMC version we are discussing, Note the quick release buckles on both sides.

post-5-1312811839.jpg

post-5-1312811828.jpg

post-5-1312811851.jpg

post-5-1312811861.jpg

post-5-1312811871.jpg

post-5-1312811880.jpg

This is what they look like attached to the USMC lower M67 pack with the sleep gear carrier.

post-5-1312812173.jpg

post-5-1312812182.jpg

craig_pickrall

You can read through these threadsto see more on the USMC M1967 gear or you can do a search just using M1967 and find many more threads that cover both Army and USMC versions. Also do a search for XM1964 to see the experimental USMC version that lead to their final M1967 version.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...23&hl=M1967

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...56&hl=M1967

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...25&hl=M1967

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...96&hl=M1967

Here is an image I posted to a different thread showing a Marine using the FY1970 contract M-1967 field pack in Norway in 1989. It is immediately distinguishable from the later "training" field packs by the attachment eyelets (instead of the later D-rings on the "training" field packs).

post-2-0-32597500-1452284400.jpg

post-2-0-12001600-1452284399.jpg

There's also a set of nylon suspenders out there that will run $500 or so if you can find them. :w00t:

USMC or Army nylon H suspenders go for that price ? I must have somewhere the USMC version and they are ready to go to a better home for $500 !

USMC or Army nylon H suspenders go for that price ? I must have somewhere the USMC version and they are ready to go to a better home for $500 !

They're the ones in post #12 I've only seen 2 sets, one of the 2 is in post #12

I have the butt back, back pack, just missing the suspenders. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to hold off on the $700 price for suspenders.

craig_pickrall
They're the ones in post #12 I've only seen 2 sets, one of the 2 is in post #12

Justin, is the other set you saw the ones on Vietnam.com? If so then you have only seen one set because those are my pics too.

Justin, is the other set you saw the ones on Vietnam.com? If so then you have only seen one set because those are my pics too.

No, a few years ago there was a set on eBay they sold for over $500

airborne1968

I have a set of the suspenders with the quick release on the front. I always wondered about them. I picked them up in Puerto Rico in 2000. They were being sold at a road side "flea market" forlack of a better word. I thought they were just a variant of the M1967 nylon suspenders with the hooks on the shoulders.

BTW, I also have the pack (sold three of these in the past), the elusive butt pack (sol 1 in the past that was really beat up), and the plastic snap first aid ( Had 2 at one time) and a lot of canteen covers.

I have more of the canteen covers.

I'll pull them out and post pics.

airborne1968

I beg to differ on the plastic snap first aid pouches. I have literally looked at 10,000 pouches and have only found 3 of these pouches. When they are selling at $50 a pouch that means they re not that easy to find. I agree on the plastic canteen covers, they are easy to find and I pass on them all the time. It explains why they sell for about $10 on a good day.

So, here are the elusive quick release suspenders. I thought I had sold them about 4 years ago when I was debating on whether or not to keep them.

They are in better shape than I remembered.

I also found my nylon M41 (aka M67) pack. It's funny because I've been looking for an inexpensive canvas one for a long time but found this one right away.

more to follow...

post-4228-1313367863.jpg

post-4228-1313368028.jpg

airborne1968

I also found a nylon duffle bag also 68 dated. I thought this was one of those Chinese bags but then I noticed the stamp on the inside. I found this one at a flea market in Hawaii.

Is this part of the M67 gear or more for the USMC gear? I can only assume it couldn't support the weight of items like a canvas duffle bag could and it was not adapted for mass use.

post-4228-1313368123.jpg

post-4228-1313368131.jpg

airborne1968

Before I get carried away. Here is the pack and the field pack (aka butt pack; a little beat up but much better than the other one that I have with holes and burn marks that sold for $55 in 2001) for the quick release suspenders.

When I was in Ft Lewis a lot of this M67 gear was coming out of the CIF and many of the Soldiers in my platoon had it until they began issuing MOLLE to replace the MLCE gear.

post-4228-1313368419.jpg

post-4228-1313368430.jpg