Opinions on USN shirt and pants WWI or II

michiel01

Bought this set as a WWII set, is this correct or is this an earlier era set? The opinion of some other collectors made me doubt.

2r630xh.jpg

20krbes.jpg

1253km0.jpg

first two are from the shirt, tag is unreadable washed out. The third photo is from the pants, has a fully readable tag.

Both undaoubtly named with the same name.

Thank you for your opinions!

Garandomatic

Presence of a drawstring or holes where one once was in the waist of the shirt typically mean that it is pre-WWII manufacture, I think. Note that I said manufacture, I have a good half dozen or more and they are all WWII issued pieces. I think WWI jumpers had a loop or something at the neck for the handkerchief, too. Wait'll some experts get on here, I need to brush up on my Navy knowledge from them, been going through my war room and cataloguing every last piece and I want my records to be straight.

Sorry folks, at the earliest, it is WW2. The draw string was a common feature of USN jumpers until the new patterns were introduced in the 1950s. It was supposed to be dropped along with the laundry eyelets in 1940, but when the Navy started gearing up for WW 2, they did not bother to re write the spec, so these features continued to appear. Many jumpers were made with out the draw string, and many were also removed when the jumpers were shortened by their owners. These uniforms continued to be issued up into the 1950s,

Pre WW2 uniforms have embroidered Naval Clothing Factory tags. Additionally, while they are of the same cut, fabric and color of the WW 2 jumpers, pre 1940 jumpers have hand embroiderd stars on the collars. WW 1 uniforms are a different fabric and color of blue.

Steve Hesson

Thank you very much Gents!

There are no holes for a tie or ties at all. The stars seem machine embroided definately not by hand.

Are any detail shots needed for a better determination?

or is the conclusion, late war manufacturing used till much later. (late war as in 1944 or 1945?)

thanks a lot!

Thank you very much Gents!

There are no holes for a tie or ties at all. The stars seem machine embroided definately not by hand.

Are any detail shots needed for a better determination?

or is the conclusion, late war manufacturing used till much later. (late war as in 1944 or 1945?)

thanks a lot!

Late to post war manufacture.

Steve Hesson