Need ID for women's military organization

US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum

Does anyone recognize the organization these women belong to?

Look at the hat badges (ranks) in the picture and give me your best guess.

I have heard the suggestions they may be either HS Defense Corps, or

Women's Defense Corps; however, using google I have not been able to

locate a photo of either groups uniforms.

I am assuming that there are Americans. If that is not the case, then please

be so kind as to post what they are or your best guess as to what group

they represent.

Thanks in advance.

Msn

post-1529-1194281805.jpg

The hat insignia look like ROTC rank. The woman on the viewer's left appears to be wearing the rank of Cadet Captain (3 circular disks) , while the woman next to her appears to be wearing a diamond signifying a Cadet Major.

I've changed the title of this topic in hopes of attracting the attention of some member who know more about the various women's military units.

US Victory Museum

Thank you, Beast, for your suggestion that they are ROTC students. I had to crop the photo to meet the size requirements of the board.

There are 39 women in the photo in 6 files of 6 behind 3 officers (The ones wearing the sam brown type belts.) Yet, not one single one

has a closed shirt collar or is wearing a tie as would be expected of US military protocol. Even for ROTC students this would be lax

discipline. This is what made me think they were a civilian organization. In lieu of this, do you still think them to be ROTC students?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thank you, Beast, for your suggestion that they are ROTC students. I had to crop the photo to meet the size requirements of the board.

There are 39 women in the photo in 6 files of 6 behind 3 officers (The ones wearing the sam brown type belts.) Yet, not one single one

has a closed shirt collar or is wearing a tie as would be expected of US military protocol. Even for ROTC students this would be lax

discipline. This is what made me think they were a civilian organization. In lieu of this, do you still think them to be ROTC students?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

I don't think women were admitted to ROTC until the 1970's.

Take a look at the uniforms in this post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9767

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after reading this topic, I decided I needed to buy more reference books on women's (military and para-military) uniforms. I picked up a copy of "American Womenat War in World War II" VOL I. Good reference, not the best out there, but it is a start.

As far as the rank insignia, I now know that organizations, other than ROTC wore the pips and diamonds. Also, as far as I can tell, they all had some sort of necktie, cravat, etc.

US Victory Museum, are there any other insignia shown in the photo? An SSI, or a different pin?

US Victory Museum

> US Victory Museum, are there any other insignia shown in the photo? An SSI, or a different pin?

I can see no other buckle, patch, pin, SSI, or object in the photo. If there are patches, then they

are sewn on the shoulders facing away from the camera angle. The more I look at the faces of

those women, the more I come to the conclusion they are young. All of them have long hair which

can be seen to be touching their uniform collars, which is a real No-No in the military. Someone

indicated to me that perhaps they are Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps.

If the chin strap on their caps is actually a red twisted-braid cord, and it does appear to be cord,

then this becomes the most likely candidate. I have used google unsuccessfully to try to locate a

photo of that organization's uniforms; therefore, I cannot rule them out at this time.

P.S.

Also, their shirt collars differ slightly. They're civilians, I have no doubt.

I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned, Beast, how about a quick listing of some of the

Women's para-military and patriotic organizations.