Post Your WWI Collar Disk

Kim-

Those are some interesting disks. Thank you for sharing them. I'm very curious about that maker marked US disk. Rarely do I see them marked as such. Very interesting. I also noticed it's not made of bronze. Maybe 'pot metal'?

Can anyone confirm the use of 'pot metal' for collar disks? Obviously it was used to a certain extent. Funny thing is I can't find a reference to its use.

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one appears ordinary at first but the interesting part is on the back. An early pinback and it's maker marked too! Maker marked on back: " Amer. Emb. Co. Inc. Utica NY.

Kim

That is one killer disc!!!

American Emblem Company marked seems very unusual with a pinback as well.

Do you have any reference to this type.

Cheers

Curator/Owner Ghost Squadron Military Museum,

Curator, South Alberta Light Horse Regimental Museum

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

That is one killer disc!!!

American Emblem Company marked seems very unusual with a pinback as well.

Do you have any reference to this type.

Cheers

Thanks for your interest. I've asked around the last couple years with different collectors but have been unsuccessful in getting more information. One fellow who collects strictly American Emblem stuff never saw one marked like this this early. this disk came with an 89th division grouping that I still have. Kim

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I think you guys have done a wonderful job with this and it's going well. I've pinned this topic

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Brad, that picture disc is very interesting. can you tell us more about it? was it a troop made piece?

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Brad, that picture disc is very interesting. can you tell us more about it? was it a troop made piece?

I got it from manion's about 10 or so years ago, I think it's too well made to be trench art but don't know for sure. I have seen others like it with and without pictures in them.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

More interesting disks. Love it!

Brad-

Those are some fascinating disks in your collection. That 'trench art' U.S. disk is quite unique to say the least. Great find! I also found that Philippine Scout collar disk also to be intriguing. That variation wasn't in the Scipio book. I was curious as to the meaning of the scratched areas...

Dave- Nice Ambulance company disk!

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

More interesting disks. Love it!

Brad-

Those are some fascinating disks in your collection. That 'trench art' U.S. disk is quite unique to say the least. Great find! I also found that Philippine Scout collar disk also to be intriguing. That variation wasn't in the Scipio book. I was curious as to the meaning of the scratched areas...

Dave- Nice Ambulance company disk!

That is a WW1 Pioneer Infantry disc with the "P" superimposed on the crossed rifles. A Philippine Regiment would have the "P" in the upper angle.

That is a WW1 Pioneer Infantry disc with the "P" superimposed on the crossed rifles. A Philippine Regiment would have the "P" in the upper angle.

pinch.gif

Thank you for the correction!

Here's one more from the collection...

A 1st pattern Tank Corps...

post-518-1195572608.jpg

post-518-1195572616.jpg

post-518-1195572624.jpg

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis