Post Your WWI Collar Disk

A few of the collar discs I've saved. As you can see, I'm not a very organized collector, or a organized human being for that matter. I do like collar brass. I feel it's an often underappreciated collectible.

Jennings - any chance you can post a close up of the front & back to that aviation/US disc seen just above the Son in Service one? That looks a customized variation I haven't seen before.

- Chuck

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennings - any chance you can post a close up of the front & back to that aviation/US disc seen just above the Son in Service one? That looks a customized variation I haven't seen before.

- Chuck

All things considered would these be a highly collectible and sought after disk? Infantry and makers mark?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

All things considered would these be a highly collectible and sought after disk? Infantry and makers mark?

Sadly no. The interwar period is a big gray area when it comes to determining values on discs. They only get a fraction of the $ when compared to WWI insignia. At least that's been my experience in dealing with WWI aviation discs.

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

Sadly no. The interwar period is a big gray area when it comes to determining values on discs. They only get a fraction of the $ when compared to WWI insignia. At least that's been my experience in dealing with WWI aviation discs. 

Thank You for the info. I will put it in my with my common stuff.

Gerrad

A few of the collar discs I've saved. As you can see, I'm not a very organized collector, or a organized human being for that matter. I do like collar brass. I feel it's an often underappreciated collectible. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been sifting through these great rare discs, like this one, looking for a postal express/ running greyhound over lightning bolts- has anyone ever seen such a disc?

Thanks!

David

Not this guy. Sorry David...

I certainly would like to see one though!

-Chuck

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

• 1 year later...

Adding to the above, he was at Camp Harry J. Jones in Arizona, near the Mexican border. Enlisted early May 1918, arrived at that camp later that month. He had immigrated to the US as a boy 9 years earlier, and was a subject of the Russian Empire (from Latvia). Naturalized as a US citizen in June 1918 while at that camp. All the affidavit and witnesses were Captains in the 302nd cavalry. Don't know much beyond that...can't find anything on Fold3.

• 1 month later...

That's an impressive collection of MP & PMD insignia … very nice.

What are the red MP collar tabs sewn onto? It looks sort of like a collar, but from what?

The Collar for display only.

WANTED TO BUY

Checkpoint Bravo MP brassard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My grandfather was in Company B, 140th Infantry Regiment. If I've understood the previous posts correctly, there are two combinations of collar discs he could have worn:

1) "US" on right, "140" + crossed rifles + "B" on left

2) "US" + "140" on right, crossed rifles + "B" on left

Is this correct?

----------

Posting my grandfather's WWI diary and letters at http://mndoughboy1918.com

Twitter: @mndoughboy1918

• 1 month later...

50th Artillery Rgt, C.A.C -although trained in France, this regiment did not see combat before Armistice was signed. Bronze disk with standard threaded post & nut.

The 50th Artillery CAC never ordered this collar disk. They used a US 50 disk. Although that's not to say that some member of the 50CAC didn't take it upon himself to use a disk he obtained. These disks were used by companies for the most part. Do this example would belong to the 50th Artillery Company

post-154058-0-96465300-1552001551_thumb.jpg