Post Your WWI Collar Disk

cthomas

Primoris Scio

Here is a unique and exquistely detailed infantry collar disc, note the detail of the bolt action and trigger guard are very sharp, not like any other I have seen before.  The reverse is just as clean, top notch.

I would like to better understand the small star impressed on the reverse side, does anyone know what it represents, is it a manufacturers mark?  

556951462_InfantryCollarDisk-Front.jpg.f47b1ec8cdd5701708e8d71c4c59e863.jpg

2114900403_InfantryCollarDisk-StarReverse.jpg.5537183b9efedcc7920a71bec6ceef70.jpg

605155479_InfantryCollarDisk-Reverse.jpg.55a78690d7c9125fb2e0fd4b0536e8eb.jpg

Some really nice displays here. I mostly collect WWII items but WWI Collar Disks are just so unique. Here is my display still need two more to fill it up. I would like an armored and a NJ one if I ever find one. 

3ADE9351-28CF-4997-8582-6905E430FB2A.jpeg

Maybe that Star belongs to US Speciaty Co after they dropped their Maker name. I’ve seen that on 1920’s disks and pre-WWII screw backs.

A4FDA88B-E941-48FD-9ADC-C3C1953616A2.jpeg

DADCE15F-431B-4FEA-BD03-7A9D03B65630.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Darkeye said:

Gijoe, griffinmilitaria has a couple of nice NJ disks. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the lead ill check them out

17 hours ago, Primoris Scio said:

Here is a unique and exquistely detailed infantry collar disc, note the detail of the bolt action and trigger guard are very sharp, not like any other I have seen before.  The reverse is just as clean, top notch.

I would like to better understand the small star impressed on the reverse side, does anyone know what it represents, is it a manufacturers mark?  

556951462_InfantryCollarDisk-Front.jpg.f47b1ec8cdd5701708e8d71c4c59e863.jpg

2114900403_InfantryCollarDisk-StarReverse.jpg.5537183b9efedcc7920a71bec6ceef70.jpg

605155479_InfantryCollarDisk-Reverse.jpg.55a78690d7c9125fb2e0fd4b0536e8eb.jpg

I've heard opinions that it might be a Horstmann mark. But, that's not been proven. I've not found a concrete source to determine the validity of this issue. If that helps steer you in a new direction let us know what you find out. I've been trying for years now to find the answer!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
albatrosdva

I just got this collar in the mail today and would love to find out more about it. I assume this is 1st Infantry Regiment Machine Gun Company. Is that correct? Of course I'd love it to be 1st MG Battalion of the 1st Infantry Division but I'm sure that's wishful thinking :-)

20220314_180007.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you for posting. Machine Gun disks have sometimes been a source of mystery. Hopefully, I can help. When you see the MG, it’s the Company designation. Just like it was an A, B …M, HQ, S. The number is the Regiment. Yours is the 1st Infantry Regiment, Company MG ( or Machine Gun Company). They have a great history, but they were attached to the 13th Division during WWI and never made it overseas. I like it.

I’ll post some other MGs disks when I get a chance. 

Darkeye - Have you ever encountered a Machine Gun disc with the letter "S" underneath the crossed rifles? Or other variation? Dr. Scipio's second book states there is such a thing, but LTC(R) Bill Emerson told me he did not believe there was. I haven't ever encountered one given the myriad different "S" discs I have in my collection. I currently believe LTC(R) Emerson is correct. Thoughts?

Well, who am I to dispute Scipio? I’ve never come across an MG Company E, but he does show a picture of one in his book. I consulted a friend’s vast list of owned Collar Disks, and he does not currently own an E or an S. There are many rare ones out there, still to be found. It does seem likely, do you have an Engineer S? I would, certainly, love to see your collection.

Darkeye - Yes, I do have an Engineer "S" disc; one in darkened bronze, and another in gilt. I'll have to take a picture for you later. They both took a long time to find. But, like you said, there are many things out there waiting to be discovered. The Show of Shows has been very helpful in finding oddball collar discs. Just when I think I've found everything (not possible), something else turns up. 

If you're specifically interested in metal Quartermaster Corps insignia, I published my book in 2019 on the subject. The title is, "U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps Metal Insignia 1885-2019." I cover areas like collar discs, officer insignia, cap insignia, chevracs and other topics. You can find it at my website: www.qmcinsigniabook.com. I'm always on the hunt for variations and collar discs are a favorite item to seek. 

• 1 month later...

And lastly, the 316th Infantry Regiment. Note the US Disk with the rare period in the middle of the U and S.

79DFED43-BD1E-42CA-BF28-4688B64B64F1.jpeg