Post Your WWI Collar Disk

cthomas

Hi Collector,

your Grandpa was quite a goodlooking handsome engineer, and...

... he knew the regulation ! ;)

Cordially

Foxy

Hello Foxy from Belleau Wood

Would you consider to post some close-ups of your 1000+ collar discs collection???

Kind regards

T

• 2 weeks later...

Collar disk for Co. F, 170th Infantry Regiment. I had absolutely NO luck finding any reference to a 170th IR before or during the Great War. I even tried researching under redesignated , renamed etc... but to no avail. Any opinions? I've heard a few, namely that this was a salesman sample.

post-518-1196712309.jpg

post-518-1196712320.jpg

post-518-1196712330.jpg

According to Sawicki, the 170th Inf was reorganized from former 2nd Infantry elements of 169th IR Oct 10th, 1922. Consisted of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Bns. 170th redesignated 102nd Infantry Feb 28th, 1924.

According to Sawicki, the 170th Inf was reorganized from former 2nd Infantry elements of 169th IR Oct 10th, 1922. Consisted of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Bns. 170th redesignated 102nd Infantry Feb 28th, 1924.

What is not mentioned is that these are all Connecticut National Guard units.

I'm not sure I understand this information correctly... did the 170th already exist when the U.S. got involved in WWI and was eventually reorganized in 1922 -or- was it formed in 1922 from existing units? I've been told the 170th wasn't formed until the 1920's. They became Connecticut N.G. troops as mentioned by 'atb' in his reply. If this last statement is true, then why the early 'type 1' variation collar disk? Wouldn't the 170th have been issued the later variation of the type 1 disk where the regimental number was moved to the "US"? This pattern was approved for use in 1917. They could also have been issued the 'type 2' disk which was approved for use between 1926-1937 and used extensively by N.G. & State militia troops. Even though the background design of the 'type 2' disk wasn't officially approved for use until 1926, early examples (as early as 1919-1921) do exist utilizing this change in background patterns.

The 170th did not exist until 1922, and was formed from existing units of the 2nd Infantry, Conneticut NG.

I have no idea why the 170th disk exists. Any other thoughts from me would be speculative.

The 170th did not exist until 1922, and was formed from existing units of the 2nd Infantry, Conneticut NG.

I have no idea why the 170th disk exists. Any other thoughts from me would be speculative.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Then maybe it could still be considered a 'salesman' sample for a then non existing unit. I don't know...Any other suggestions?

A photograph of the last finds. Provenance Camp of Montoir de Bretagne.

I have not idea as the collar disk USNA 10. I not the person not found in my documents.

Thank you in advance.

RD18

8731ruv.jpg

Thank you for sharing these interesting disks with us. Is it possible to see a scan of the back to the C company Engineer disk and the USNA/10 disk? Both are very unusual...

Stinger Gunner USMC

not my area of collecting but here are a couple Type I II III that I have picked up over the years

4th cav G CO & Medical corps Type I on top row

post-1672-1197072632.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Have only dropped by this thread a few times, must say y'all are posting allot of interesting items. Thx for sharing and hope to see more. s/f Darrell

Steve Brannan

These are the six variations of the WWI Air Service enlisted disk in my collection. The first disk from the left on the bottom row is the french made "chocolate" disk. Can anyone tell me the unit with the "1" over the 4 sided prop? The first from the right in the top row has a silver prop.

post-1848-1199247423.jpg

post-1848-1199247439.jpg

These are the six variations of the WWI Air Service enlisted disk in my collection. The first disk from the left on the bottom row is the french made "chocolate" disk. Can anyone tell me the unit with the "1" over the 4 sided prop? The first from the right in the top row has a silver prop.

post-1848-1199247423.jpg

post-1848-1199247439.jpg

Steve,

Duncan Campbell speculated that disk was for the 1st Aero Squadron, NYNG. He thought that it was probably pre-WW1.

Chris

An interesting semi hollow back Infantry disk.

I'm glad to see this thread still going strong. Please keep those disks coming!

post-518-1199902819.jpeg

post-518-1199902837.jpeg

post-518-1199902850.jpeg

Grandfathers collar disc. 55th Headquarters Co. 7TH Division AEF. 2ND Battalion Gunner 1lb gun (37mm)

post-2228-1200461854.jpgpost-2228-1200461833.jpg

Loooks like I need to get better pictures and include the back.

Guest honeychile

Greetings, all. I've been trying to do some research on my grandfather's military service. He passed away over 20 years ago. I have nothing that belonged to him; just a few memories of stories he told. Here's the nutshell version of what I know:

Race:W

Residence:Cincinnati, O.

Enlistment Division:National Guard

Enlistment Location:Winston-Salem, N. C.

Enlistment Date:15 May 1915

Birth Place:Wilks Co, N. C.

Birth Date / Age:21 Years

Assigns Comment:Co C 1 Infantry NC National Guard 12 Sept 1917; Co E 105 Engineers to 30 Jan 1918; Co A 41 Engineers to 18 Oct 1918; 39 Co 20 Engineers to Discharge Private, first class July /17. American Expeditionary Forces 25 Feb 1918 to 4 July 1919. Honorable discharge 17 July 1919.

I have one photograph taken when he was in the service (possibly when he was in France -- see photo below) and that's why I'm posting here. It's very fuzzy, but I'm trying to figure out what the collar disk (on the right in the photo) meant. I am guessing that if you turned it clockwise about 40 degrees, you'd see crossed rifles with a 1 at the top and a C at the bottom, possibly for Co. C of the 1st Infantry, where he began his service wth the NC National Guard. And I would presume the NC on the other side relates to the National Guard.

Does this sound reasonable? I would very much like to find a collar disk like the one he wore -- even a reproduction would be wonderful -- to put with the photo in a shadowbox frame, along with copies of some things I've been able to find online (copy of a 1917 WW1 Registration card, for example). If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it. I so wish I had asked my grandfather questions about his service when I could. It's tough trying to understand and piece things together so many years after the fact. But that's just one more thing that makes heaven so compelling, isn't it? thumbsup.gif

Thank you to anyone who can help.

pawpaw2.jpg

Greetings, all. I've been trying to do some research on my grandfather's military service. He passed away over 20 years ago. I have nothing that belonged to him; just a few memories of stories he told. Here's the nutshell version of what I know:

Race:W

Residence:Cincinnati, O.

Enlistment Division:National Guard

Enlistment Location:Winston-Salem, N. C.

Enlistment Date:15 May 1915

Birth Place:Wilks Co, N. C.

Birth Date / Age:21 Years

Assigns Comment:Co C 1 Infantry NC National Guard 12 Sept 1917; Co E 105 Engineers to 30 Jan 1918; Co A 41 Engineers to 18 Oct 1918; 39 Co 20 Engineers to Discharge Private, first class July /17. American Expeditionary Forces 25 Feb 1918 to 4 July 1919. Honorable discharge 17 July 1919.

I have one photograph taken when he was in the service (possibly when he was in France -- see photo below) and that's why I'm posting here. It's very fuzzy, but I'm trying to figure out what the collar disk (on the right in the photo) meant. I am guessing that if you turned it clockwise about 40 degrees, you'd see crossed rifles with a 1 at the top and a C at the bottom, possibly for Co. C of the 1st Infantry, where he began his service wth the NC National Guard. And I would presume the NC on the other side relates to the National Guard.

Does this sound reasonable? I would very much like to find a collar disk like the one he wore -- even a reproduction would be wonderful -- to put with the photo in a shadowbox frame, along with copies of some things I've been able to find online (copy of a 1917 WW1 Registration card, for example). If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it. I so wish I had asked my grandfather questions about his service when I could. It's tough trying to understand and piece things together so many years after the fact. But that's just one more thing that makes heaven so compelling, isn't it? thumbsup.gif

Thank you to anyone who can help.

pawpaw2.jpg

Correct, that is his C Company, 1st NC Infantry disc. It would have been worn probably in the US during his National Guard service, but some Doughboys of the National Guard did continue to wear their state insignia rather than or before putting on insignia with the Federalized designations of the state units or of the new units to which they may have been transferred. Either disc should not be too difficult to find. Try Advanced Guard Militaria. They publish a very extensive on-line catalog. Their new one comes out this afternoon at 3 PM CST.

US Victory Museum

Technically NOT WWI; however, these are the Buffalo Soldiers who guarded the

Southwestern United States and engaged in the Punitive expedition into Mexico

to ensure their civil unrest didn't spill over to the American side of the border.

24th Infantry K and C companies.

post-1529-1201727237.jpg

Technically NOT WWI; however, these are the Buffalo Soldiers who guarded the

Southwestern United States and engaged in the Punitive expedition into Mexico

to ensure their civil unrest didn't spill over to the American side of the border.

24th Infantry K and C companies.

The 24 Infantry was also involved in the Houston Riots. Some bad American history there. Warning; only click the link if you want to read about it.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Brian Keith

post-1549-1205770108.jpg

Nice pierced straight pin back.

BKW

post-1549-1205770211.jpg

Back

BKW

How about a couple of Chemical Officer insignia?

post-1549-1205770486.jpg

BKW

Back

post-1549-1205770583.jpg

These were from the same officer, but are not a same maker pair. On the top insignia, the bulb of the retort is slightly dished out.

BKW

post-1549-1205770727.jpg

post-1549-1205770745.jpg

159th Depo Brigade, they were at Camp Zachary Tylor, KY

BKW