Post Your WWI Collar Disk

cthomas

Mitter2k1

Left and right facing eagle.  on the quartermaster collar disc 

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif DSC_0004.JPG

Thanks for adding your disks Crymetimes123, you have some really great disks!

Thanks,

Mike

• 1 year later...

hi

Nothing rare or exceptional her, but a decent pair, found in Lorraine, few years ago. Just dug them out during some researches in my insignias

img_1910.jpg

img_1912.jpg

Btw, have a question (i don't know if it's the right place) for a future display about a NG unit, the 144th Infantry of 36th ID. Can I put a US "standard" disk or in regard that is a NG unit called in Federal service, USNA or USNG disk will be more correct. Last question, if soldier is affected to a MG platoon inside a Company (i.e H Coy), should he wore is Regiment/Company disc or a generic one where Coy letter were reimplaced by MG?

Thanks for help

T

• 4 months later...

My small but growing Type I disk collection. The USNG and TEX were given to me by my VFW commander. The others I have picked up at our local Antique Mall for $8 a piece. He has a few more and I plan on picking up the rest soon.

post-2527-0-55595300-1479243322.jpg

post-2527-0-90547900-1479243375.jpg

post-2527-0-41085200-1479243384.jpg

post-2527-0-63593900-1479243394_thumb.jpg

I thought I'd finally post my WWI aviation disc collection along with some miscellaneous junk ;)

If you look closely, you'll see some unique variations on a theme. Enjoy!

It's not as neatly displayed as other collections, but you get the point...

-Chuck

post-518-0-48258900-1479371314_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

1st Infantry with a Robbins Co Makers mark. Correct me if I am wrong on the identification. Is a standard to have a Robbins makers mark? I own several different collar disk and haven't seen one with a makers mark.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Looks to be a post WW1 disk - probably 1920's era when the 1st Infantry was part of the Second Division. Yes - unusual to see that maker mark on this type disk. Nice variation.

Jennings Lane

A few of the collar discs I've saved. As you can see, I'm not a very organized collector, or a organized human being for that matter. I do like collar brass. I feel it's an often underappreciated collectible.

post-154922-0-07117400-1487603341.jpg

1st Infantry with a Robbins Co Makers mark. Correct me if I am wrong on the identification. Is a standard to have a Robbins makers mark? I own several different collar disk and haven't seen one with a makers mark.

That mfg mark looks legit to me...and no, it's quite uncommon to come across such discs. I only have two mfg marked ones in my collection (Robbins isn't one of them).

As was pointed out by another member, your disc dates from the interwar period (probably early 20's).

A few of the collar discs I've saved. As you can see, I'm not a very organized collector, or a organized human being for that matter. I do like collar brass. I feel it's an often underappreciated collectible.

Jennings - any chance you can post a close up of the front & back to that aviation/US disc seen just above the Son in Service one? That looks a customized variation I haven't seen before.

- Chuck

Jennings - any chance you can post a close up of the front & back to that aviation/US disc seen just above the Son in Service one? That looks a customized variation I haven't seen before.

- Chuck

All things considered would these be a highly collectible and sought after disk? Infantry and makers mark?

All things considered would these be a highly collectible and sought after disk? Infantry and makers mark?

Sadly no. The interwar period is a big gray area when it comes to determining values on discs. They only get a fraction of the $ when compared to WWI insignia. At least that's been my experience in dealing with WWI aviation discs.

Sadly no. The interwar period is a big gray area when it comes to determining values on discs. They only get a fraction of the $ when compared to WWI insignia. At least that's been my experience in dealing with WWI aviation discs. 

Thank You for the info. I will put it in my with my common stuff.

Gerrad

• 4 months later...
MECHINF-A15

Here is my Grandfather's disk. He was a buck Sgt. in Co. K, 11th Cav. Later transferred to Field Arty.

More on him soon.

post-169074-0-97904900-1498926968.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been sifting through these great rare discs, like this one, looking for a postal express/ running greyhound over lightning bolts- has anyone ever seen such a disc?

Thanks!

David

I've been sifting through these great rare discs, like this one, looking for a postal express/ running greyhound over lightning bolts- has anyone ever seen such a disc?

Thanks!

David

Not this guy. Sorry David...

I certainly would like to see one though!

-Chuck

• 1 year later...

Adding to the above, he was at Camp Harry J. Jones in Arizona, near the Mexican border. Enlisted early May 1918, arrived at that camp later that month. He had immigrated to the US as a boy 9 years earlier, and was a subject of the Russian Empire (from Latvia). Naturalized as a US citizen in June 1918 while at that camp. All the affidavit and witnesses were Captains in the 302nd cavalry. Don't know much beyond that...can't find anything on Fold3.

• 1 month later...
world war I nerd

That's an impressive collection of MP & PMD insignia … very nice.

What are the red MP collar tabs sewn onto? It looks sort of like a collar, but from what?

That's an impressive collection of MP & PMD insignia … very nice.

What are the red MP collar tabs sewn onto? It looks sort of like a collar, but from what?

The Collar for display only.

• 3 weeks later...