26th Yankee Divsion Ike with Combat Leader Stripes

APO472

Thought I would share this WWII Yankee Division Ike, shirt and private purchase trousers that came right out of the woodwork. While this divsion is not my cup of tea, the fact it is a very early Ike jacket with combat leader stripes is something I couldn't leave behind. It has his wool gas flapped shirt and private purchase wool trousers. He was an Ordinance NCO and it has his laundry number of D-5779 in the Ike. Maybe some of the YD authorities out there might have a clue to the ID of this soldier? Thanks!

post-261-1312494181.jpg

post-261-1312494189.jpg

Thought I would share this WWII Yankee Division Ike, shirt and private purchase trousers that came right out of the woodwork. While this divsion is not my cup of tea, the fact it is a very early Ike jacket with combat leader stripes is something I couldn't leave behind. It has his wool gas flapped shirt and private purchase wool trousers. He was an Ordinance NCO and it has his laundry number of D-5779 in the Ike. Maybe some of the YD authorities out there might have a clue to the ID of this soldier? Thanks!

More pics...

post-261-1312494217.jpg

post-261-1312494222.jpg

Nice! :thumbsup:

Until recently, I never really had that much desire for the uniforms. Outside of the combat type at any rate. But lately, I've been finding them catching my eye and I've added two more in the last couple weeks.

Great Ike and just the way to find them!! :thumbsup:

Love the green stripes

RD

With the D on the serial prefix do you think he stamped his name on the tag oppsed to the inspectors name??You may have your guy :think:

A really nice jacket.

I had several YDers as my penpals back in the 80s - 90s.

Even visited one in Boston in 1990.

Erwin

im in the YD now, i also have a YD ike i picked up at a antique store i have not been able to identify i havent found any markings in the jacket and alot of the patches are anchored so it may be a put together but i still love it!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. RD, not a bad idea and I will try to give that a shot through the archives. Jeeper, yes I have known several from the 26th as well over the years and this came from a MA estate. Thanks again!

Cobrahistorian

Jake,

Nice Ike! Most logical starting point I can think of is the 726th Ordnance Company. Haven't been able to find a DiLallo or any other Di*allo on the NARA enlisted database with the same last-4 digits, but that doesn't mean much. The fact that it came out of a Massachusetts estate sale makes me think he was probably a pre-war Guardsman.

Jon

I only got some names of the 328th Regiment, so no help there. Sorry.

The 726th Ordnance would be a good starting point.

I know their Association was very helpful back in those days, does it still exists?

Erwin

• 3 weeks later...

Today I recieved the jacket from Jake, I thank you for this again.

After some close inspection to me it seems the name would be Dicallo of Dioallo or something like this.

Any help would be appreciated !