Exhale Valve Cold Weather Cover

robinb

Found this in a Lightwieght Service Mask bag today in one of the pockets. It looks like a sleeping bag for a mouse. Is it part of the gas mask? I put the TL-29 in it for size comparison.

MVC_038S.JPG

MVC_039S.JPG

Possibly is the case for the second gas detection brassard brought in mask bag. This small bag from its configuration is to be filled, doubled and closed with the string.

Artu - I've never seen a bag for gas brassards before - when you find them still in the British gasmask bags they've simply folded and by themselves, not in any sort of pouch.

The 3-fold pattern is common to most brassards, and something that I make sure is done to any repro ones that our unit wears when we do 101st in Normandy - gives them that authentic look, just before they fall apart once they get used.....!

Cheers,

Glen.

Judging from the TL-29, the bag is no where large enough to hold the brassard. It reminds me of the bag used to cover the rubber bladder on oxygen masks in extreme cold. This may be to cover the rubber flutter valve on the gas mask in extreme cold weather so it doesn't stiffen up. I have never seen anything like that but it may have been something they were testing.

craig_pickrall

I have a copy of the 1941 dated Gas mask TECH Manual. This shows all of the tools, spare parts, kits, etc used to repair the masks as well as how the repairs are to be done. In all of the tool and parts layout photos there is a similar bag shown but it is larger. The same size as the pocket size FM. That bag is specified for small parts. No where in the manual is there a bag shown in the size you have. Based on this I think it would have become available after 1941. That probably eliminates it as protection for the flutter valve in extreme cold since that valve was used more before 1941 than after. I also have a 1940 dated Gas Mask field manual and no such bag appears there as well.

I think QED4 hit it right on the nose. It appears to be a protective cover to keep frost from building up on the exhale valve. It fits the 3 different gas masks that I tried it on.

MVC_040S.JPG

MVC_041S.JPG

MVC_042S.JPG

MVC_043S.JPG

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.