OVMS show and Auction weekend finds!!

shrapneldude

Hello, everyone! I wanted to share some of the stuff I picked up at auction and at the OVMS show in Wilmington OH this weekend. *I'm a new member to OVMS, and if any of the dealers who were at the show and are reading this, Thanks for being nice to me...I asked a lot of questions, but got some really great answers and some good deals as well...glad I joined up!

First up is a large unit sign that I got for $22.50 at an auction today. It's huge, and it takes up space, but it's now one of my favorite collection pieces. This unit, 1/145th Ohio National Guard unit was part of the infamous Kent State University Massacre here in OH on 4 May 1970. After a war-protest went bad and turned into a city-wide riot broke out, civillian police could no longer handle the crowns and the NG were called in to quell the disturbance. On 4 May, these "peaceful protestors" began throwing rocks, bricks, and other nasty things at armed soldiers. 67 shots were fired, 4 students were killed, and a few more were wounded. The National Guard were looked upon as war criminals and murderers for a long time here, and by some, they still are for that. They never tell the story from the guardsmans' point of view, and always make these kids out to be martyrs, gunned down by a cold and hateful opressive government. It sickens me to no end. But hey, check out this cool sign I have!

post-1424-1194238900.jpg

More good stuff from the auctions!

post-1424-1194239005.jpg

post-1424-1194238994.jpg

*NOTE -- The occupation medal is a very early medal -- see the small ring on the top of the medal, vice the thick knob on the victory medal...these wire rings were done away with fairly early in production on WWI medals due to their easy breakage I was told by a fellow collector.

Brevet medal ribbon bar (newer), mini fourragere -- missing brass tip?

I bought a PILE of uniforms from one dealer as he was packing up to go home...in it were this repro SS jacket and repro ABN jump jacket -- the only Repro stuff I picked up, but both really neat. Rest were officer and enlisted Army/AAF uniforms.

post-1424-1194239501.jpg

post-1424-1194239489.jpg

post-1424-1194239809.jpg

I don't know about this uniform, but for the price, all the seperate pieces are worth it. 2 Purple Hearts, MSGT rank, and a few Islands with the 3rd MARDIV...but how did he get to be a MSGT without a Marine Good Conduct? A China Service Tour? I don't know...open to any feedback about this one...hat came with it for $115. Good deal?

Your Master Sgt probably didn't have a Good Conduct Medal or a China Service Medal because he wasn't in the Marines long enough! It's not uncommon to see upper level NCO's of any service in WWII with less time than is required to get such things as hash marks and Good Conduct Medals. Wartime promotions were often very fast, depending on the circumstances of that particular individual.

Nice load of goodies you acquired by the way and thanks for sharing them with us. thumbsup.gif

Hello, everyone! I wanted to share some of the stuff I picked up at auction and at the OVMS show in Wilmington OH this weekend. *I'm a new member to OVMS, and if any of the dealers who were at the show and are reading this, Thanks for being nice to me...I asked a lot of questions, but got some really great answers and some good deals as well...glad I joined up!

First up is a large unit sign that I got for $22.50 at an auction today. It's huge, and it takes up space, but it's now one of my favorite collection pieces. This unit, 1/145th Ohio National Guard unit was part of the infamous Kent State University Massacre here in OH on 4 May 1970. After a war-protest went bad and turned into a city-wide riot broke out, civillian police could no longer handle the crowns and the NG were called in to quell the disturbance. On 4 May, these "peaceful protestors" began throwing rocks, bricks, and other nasty things at armed soldiers. 67 shots were fired, 4 students were killed, and a few more were wounded. The National Guard were looked upon as war criminals and murderers for a long time here, and by some, they still are for that. They never tell the story from the guardsmans' point of view, and always make these kids out to be martyrs, gunned down by a cold and hateful opressive government. It sickens me to no end. But hey, check out this cool sign I have!

EBay_04_November_194.JPG

Are you sure about 1/145th at KSU in '70? I am pretty sure it was a group from the 107th ACR.

G

Are you sure about 1/145th at KSU in '70? I am pretty sure it was a group from the 107th ACR.

G

Companies A and C, 1/145th Infantry and Troop G of the 2/107th Armored Cavalry were on campus that day.

That poor poor Purple heart...I have a few "rough" used and abused medals I've salvaged. Maybe I'll start a post of nothing but medals saved from the trash heap. I couldn't let it sit there unloved!

I stand corrected =-- I think the 107th were the shooters though.

G

I've gotten to talk to several NG members here in OH, and even had a run-in with one of the "victims" and I'm pretty sure 1/145 were the ones that shot. If anyone has anything iron-clad to the contrary, please let me know. Either way, I like the sign.

That poor poor Purple heart...I have a few "rough" used and abused medals I've salvaged. Maybe I'll start a post of nothing but medals saved from the trash heap. I couldn't let it sit there unloved!

I agree thumbsup.gif

I agree thumbsup.gif

I once had the uniform of MG Dana Stewart, USMA '43, who was Ohio AG and a former 107th commander. I know he was at KSU that day -- I think he at one time decried the poor marksmanship of his soldiers.

I do know the 107th had been on duty for sometime guarding highway overpasses during a Teamsters' strike before the thing at Kent. There was question at the time how "fresh" and well-trained they were at the time.

G

Very interesting post, thanks!

Paul

I once had the uniform of MG Dana Stewart, USMA '43, who was Ohio AG and a former 107th commander. I know he was at KSU that day -- I think he at one time decried the poor marksmanship of his soldiers.

I do know the 107th had been on duty for sometime guarding highway overpasses during a Teamsters' strike before the thing at Kent. There was question at the time how "fresh" and well-trained they were at the time.

G