My Latest Find Colonel John Voegtly

jim2

This is a uniform I purchased a few months ago. I normally do not purchase uniforms with this much moth damage, but the price was right, and it has a beautiful custom ribbon bar embroidered directly to the uniform. John Voegtly joined the Army in 1933 & retired in 1971. He rose to the rank of Colonel. He was a Dr. and was a Proffesor at West Point From 1964 to his retirement in 1971.

There were 2 sellers selling his items at the same time on ebay, unfortunately this was the only one I could get.

post-100-1194232785.jpg

Jim,

Nice Ike jacket and with a good association. Personally, I wouldn’t consider the moth damage to be that bad. Sure it would have been nice if the jacket would be 100%. But what makes this an interesting piece is the association to Col. Voegtly. It will be a good research project.

I have bought badly moth eaten coats and jackets in the past for the buttons, patches, etc. As I look at the forlorn pieces I can’t bring myself to cut them apart. I guess I consider the historical aspect more important than the monetary one, especially if the piece is identified. So, needles to say I keep a plastic bin just for forlorn uniforms that may be badly damaged but still have their history attached.

Brent