1918 BAR belt with unfinished belt buckle

Fausto

Hello Guys !

I would share with you this mint, unissued BAR belt, made by R.H. Long in 1918. The "body" is marked 5-18, the connecting strap 6-18. Unissued? Absolutely! For the belt buckle can't be fastened at all... As you can see the male portion of the buckle was not propery grinded and finished after casting procedure. And this major mistake escaped the inspector's view, so the belt was issued but not used at all.

But now the question I'm asking you. When I inspected this belt, really "fresh" and brand new overall and in details, I noticed some yellowish tarnish in the corners inside the cup and around the plied "ears" ouside. First I thought to some old dried and sticked dust, legitimate after 93 years, but when I brushed the "dust" with a tootpick, just very very few powder came out leaving the rest as it was. I had then the "dust" lightly wet and rubbed again. Nothing to do. You can see in the pictures the result.

As I noticed in some other pictures on the Forum and on the net this very same , even yellow line around the same spots in some cups, I was just wondering if this could be some sort of oxidization of the tin-lead mixture used to weld the inside corners and the "ears" of the cup. Can you help? Thanks a bunch...

Fausto

post-8381-1312392195.jpg

post-8381-1312392212.jpg

Thanks Hitman-one!

I wouldn't think so... No other spots on this belt are damaged or stained, apart a very little (and expected) grey-greenish oxid on some brass eyelets and some brass LTD fasteners. The leather itself is really "fresh" and has an even unstained brilliant yellow colour with immaculate white stitching...