Singing in the Pubs

dschneck

I was reading a V-Mail from 1943. Talking about the pubs in Norwich, says most of them didn't allow music or singing BLANK songs. The kind of songs was redacted. Anyone have an idea of what kind of songs were not permitted?

craig_pickrall

I'll bet it is BAWDY. General Apathy (Ken Lewis) is old enough to remember this. Give him a PM and I'll bet he can tell you.

Is that Norwich, Uk?Thats my hometown(city..)!Id be interested to hear whats mentioned..are any of the pubs named?

General Apathy
I'll bet it is BAWDY. General Apathy (Ken Lewis) is old enough to remember this. Give him a PM and I'll bet he can tell you.

Dinah, Dinah, show us your leg, show us your leg, show us your leg, Dinah, Dinah, show us your leg, show us your leg a yard above your knee :lol::lol::lol:

I think these were the type of bawdy songs that were not allowed, I thought Craig would have known this as his eldest daughter served in Europe during WWII so I am led to believe. :rolleyes:-_- :whistling:

ken ;)

craig_pickrall

This is true of course if Ken said it. She did serve in Europe but not in the service.

General Apathy
I was reading a V-Mail from 1943. Talking about the pubs in Norwich, says most of them didn't allow music or singing BLANK songs. The kind of songs was redacted. Anyone have an idea of what kind of songs were not permitted?

Hi Dschneck, many of the older pubs in Norwich were frequented by USAAF personnel as their bases were all around that area, here's a pub that in 2010 still had photographs on the walls of US aircrews

The Bell, 5 Orford Hill, Norwich, NR1 3QB

City centre pub on two floors in a 15th century building. On the top floor there are photos on the walls of US air crews during World War Two. :thumbsup:

EDIT : Forgot to mention that somewhere on my computer I have a photograph of a ceiling in a bar in Norwich and many aircrew members signed their names with the black smoke from candles, and it is all still to be seen over 67 years later.

ken

Is that Norwich, Uk?Thats my hometown(city..)!Id be interested to hear whats mentioned..are any of the pubs named?

It is Norwich, UK. He doesn't mention any pubs. But I have a lot of theatre programs from plays and musicals my dad attended in Norwich.

Don..

Hi Dschneck, many of the older pubs in Norwich were frequented by USAAF personnel as their bases were all around that area, here's a pub that in 2010 still had photographs on the walls of US aircrews

The Bell, 5 Orford Hill, Norwich, NR1 3QB

City centre pub on two floors in a 15th century building. On the top floor there are photos on the walls of US air crews during World War Two. :thumbsup:

EDIT : Forgot to mention that somewhere on my computer I have a photograph of a ceiling in a bar in Norwich and many aircrew members signed their names with the black smoke from candles, and it is all still to be seen over 67 years later.

ken

Thanks for the info.

I am still wondering what songs were banned. I can understand that bawdy songs might have been banned, but why would they redact the word "bawdy"? And why didn't they allow music?

Don..

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1313351859.jpg

I am still wondering what songs were banned. I can understand that bawdy songs might have been banned, but why would they redact the word "bawdy"? And why didn't they allow music?

Don..

Hi Don, well funnily enough I was going through the collection in my shoebox today and came upon this ringbook binder of wartime songs and produced at wars end, glued on the first page is a certificate stating this is copy No 1 of a limited edtion of a private and personnel collection of songs brought together by ' Abe '

No address or publisher is given other than ' published by the drunken press ' illustrated by ' Tino & Eddie ' most of the illustrations are of a military nature.

I am posting six pages which should all be self explanatory.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1313352529.jpg

Cont ................

This is the song on page 65, page 64 shows a military skier all smashed up in a snow drift with broken skies, helmet and equipment scattered everywhere.

ken

It may have been songs like "I'm Dreaming of a White Mistress."

In my 1943 dated copy of "GIVE OUT! Songs of, For and By the Men in the Service", it states:

"I'M DREAMING OF A WHITE MISTRESS (By a strange coincidence, our soldiers in North Africa as well as those in the Australian theatre of war have, under this title, adopted Irving Berlin's song to their own use. In case you're anxious to learn the words, you'd better hurry across!)"

Here's another WW2 classic. Originally German but anglicised by the Allies during the Desert War. Not particularly "bawdy" but touching nevertheless.

Lilli Marlene

Underneath the lantern by the barrack gate,

Darling I remember the way you used to wait;

'Twas there that you whispered tenderly,

That you lov'd me, you'd always be,

My Lilli of the lamplight,

My own Lilli Marlene.

Time would come for roll call time for us to part

Darling I'd carress you and press you to my heart.

And there 'neath that far off lantern light

I'd hold you tight we'd kiss goodnight,

My Lillie of the lamplight,

My own Lilli Marlene.

Orders came for sailing somewhere over there,

All confined to barracks was more than I could bear;

I knew you were waiting in the street,

I heard your feet, but could not meet,

My own Lilli Marlene.

Resting in a billet just behind the line

Even tho' we're parted your lips are close to mine,

You wait where that lantern softly gleams

Your sweet face seems to haunt my dreams,

My own Lilli Marlene.

Here's another WW2 classic. Originally German but anglicised by the Allies during the Desert War. Not particularly "bawdy" but touching nevertheless.

Lilli Marlene

Underneath the lantern by the barrack gate,

Darling I remember the way you used to wait;

'Twas there that you whispered tenderly,

That you lov'd me, you'd always be,

My Lilli of the lamplight,

My own Lilli Marlene.

Time would come for roll call time for us to part

Darling I'd carress you and press you to my heart.

And there 'neath that far off lantern light

I'd hold you tight we'd kiss goodnight,

My own Lilli Marlene.

Orders came for sailing somewhere over there,

All confined to barracks was more than I could bear;

I knew you were waiting in the street,

I heard your feet, but could not meet,

My own Lilli Marlene.

Resting in a billet just behind the line

Even tho' we're parted your lips are close to mine,

You wait where that lantern softly gleams

Your sweet face seems to haunt my dreams,

My own Lilli Marlene.

From a large quantity of original papers from a 101st Trooper, most are bawdy stories, songs and poetry........ this is probably as mild as I can find ..........

post-2662-1313522358.jpg

From a large quantity of original papers from a 101st Trooper, most are bawdy stories, songs and poetry........ this is probably as mild as I can find ..........

post-2662-1313522358.jpg

:lol: :lol: Brilliant...a Yiddisher Christmas!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Brilliant...a Yiddisher Christmas!! :lol: :lol:

The disappointed Diplomat.........

And that is about as clean as it gets, only downhill from there on.......

Note...... the typewriter was dropping the Y so fill in the gaps....

post-2662-1313523539.jpg

That's your lot, off to the pub..........