A-2 jacket

jorgeaguilera

Was it relined? That looks like a inner pocket and I don't believe those were included as standard issue until later. Also, the lining looks lighter than the one I was issued about that time, but that could be the lighting. I didn't see a picture of the spec tag. Where did you get the '92 date (not a challenge, just a question)?

jorgeaguilera
Was it relined? That looks like a inner pocket and I don't believe those were included as standard issue until later. Also, the lining looks lighter than the one I was issued about that time, but that could be the lighting. I didn't see a picture of the spec tag. Where did you get the '92 date (not a challenge, just a question)?

No, as far as I know, it wasn't relined, .... these are photos of an A-2 jacket I'm thinking of buying... but I need some help and advise.

Could you upload some pics of your jacket to compare, please?

Thanks

Jorge

This is a pic of the spec tag

post-49886-1312346278.jpg

post-49886-1312346403.jpg

I don't think pictures of my jacket would help. It's been heavily modified by Pop's Leather in Turkey as was the custom back then. Number one was some oval/football shaped pieces of leather added under the arms for more freedom of motion; but the mod also came with two inside zipper pockets, an inside pencil/pen pocket, handwarmer pockets under the outside patch pockets (purists hate that, but that's the way I wore it on duty!), a repro blood chit, and the one thing I didn't realize and don't care for very much - a new lining that looks like your typical "mall jacket" with a pattern of U.S.A. maps. But it's a much more functional jacket. Most of those features were so desired by modern flight crews that newer issed A-2 have everything but the sew-in blood chit and cheesy lining.

No, as far as I know, it wasn't relined, .... these are photos of an A-2 jacket I'm thinking of buying... but I need some help and advise.

Could you upload some pics of your jacket to compare, please?

Thanks

Jorge

This is a pic of the spec tag

jorgeaguilera
I don't think pictures of my jacket would help. It's been heavily modified by Pop's Leather in Turkey as was the custom back then. Number one was some oval/football shaped pieces of leather added under the arms for more freedom of motion; but the mod also came with two inside zipper pockets, an inside pencil/pen pocket, handwarmer pockets under the outside patch pockets (purists hate that, but that's the way I wore it on duty!), a repro blood chit, and the one thing I didn't realize and don't care for very much - a new lining that looks like your typical "mall jacket" with a pattern of U.S.A. maps. But it's a much more functional jacket. Most of those features were so desired by modern flight crews that newer issed A-2 have everything but the sew-in blood chit and cheesy lining.

Gee... well but since you have been issued a jacket like this... what do you think about the leather condition of this jacket?? and do all the USAF issued jackets come with velcro on chest?

It looks nice and broken-in. Yes, since about the early '70's (someone will correct me if that's not right) the USAF has used velcro on flight jackets and flightsuits. That way, they could be "sanitized" of identifying unit insignia when needed and even the shape left from a removed patch wouldn't give any more information than "name, rank, and serial number".

Gee... well but since you have been issued a jacket like this... what do you think about the leather condition of this jacket?? and do all the USAF issued jackets come with velcro on chest?

jorgeaguilera
It looks nice and broken-in. Yes, since about the early '70's (someone will correct me if that's not right) the USAF has used velcro on flight jackets and flightsuits. That way, they could be "sanitized" of identifying unit insignia when needed and even the shape left from a removed patch wouldn't give any more information than "name, rank, and serial number".

Thanks for the info flightmac.. and well about the leather condition it looked wrinkled to me, but this must be due the goatskin.

Thanks for the info flightmac.. and well about the leather condition it looked wrinkled to me, but this must be due the goatskin.

I believe Cooper had the contract from the late 80's to late 90's, so this one is a commercial example. My issued one was Cooper in 1995.

Yes Avirex was first, then Cooper. I got out in '99, and to be honest never paid much attention to who made the jackets before or after, but anything without Cooper somewhere on it between 1988 and 1998 is an exception, and should be looked at cautiously to me. Of note in that thread, one poster mentioned the dislike of the A-2 in the USAF. It's actually true. They are pretty cheaply made, and I also had mine heavily modified in Korea to make it more functional. I actually preferred the nomex jackets, as did most guys I knew.

Ian