M1 General Purpose bag

dartheric1

Ive read somewhere, and cannot find the link anywhere, that originally, when the M1 GP bag came into use, only grenediers recieved ONE. Then by 1944, grenediers recieved two while EVERYONE else got one. Is this true? or did everyone get one, or everyone get two? Sorry if im using riddles :lol:

Eric

craig_pickrall

With out going back and digging through a ton of stuff I think that bag is designed to hold a .30 CAL ammo can with the linked belt MG ammo. In addition it was used to carry a wide variety of other stuff.

With out going back and digging through a ton of stuff I think that bag is designed to hold a .30 CAL ammo can with the linked belt MG ammo. In addition it was used to carry a wide variety of other stuff.

What? Itd be a miracle if i could fit a 30 cal ammo can. Are we on the same page here? And i know what goes in it, i just wanna know how it was issued from its first use in 1943 to the end of the war :rolleyes:

Your link goes to a login page in German

Yeah. But if theres a pic then ill believe it anyway! Never tried it actually, but i cant imagine it working! lol. Anyway, does anyone just have the info i need :think:

ThompsonSavage
Yeah. But if theres a pic then ill believe it anyway! Never tried it actually, but i cant imagine it working! lol. Anyway, does anyone just have the info i need :think:

It's Dutch actually :thumbsup: scroll down to post number 58 and beyond, there are some pictures of an ammo box in the GP bag.

post-45626-1312357374.jpg

Quartermaster

Original questioner,

Let's all hope that older age brings you, tact, patience and respect for those who know more than you.

Oh, yes - and a better command of the English language - both in grammar and spelling.

Your alias says it all.

General Apathy
Original questioner,

Let's all hope that older age brings you, tact, patience and respect for those who know more than you.

Oh, yes - and a better command of the English language - both in grammar and spelling.

Your alias says it all.

Hi Quartermaster,

Welcome to the forum :lol:;)

the words of an old sage come to mind ' ah youth, when I thought I knew everything '

thanks also to all that tried to help on this topic. :thumbsup:

ken

Hi Quartermaster,

Welcome to the forum :lol:;)

the words of an old sage come to mind ' ah youth, when I thought I knew everything '

thanks also to all that tried to help on this topic. :thumbsup:

ken

There is a Mark Twain quote that echoes that sentiment, but alas, can't think of it now.

craig_pickrall

I found the answer. Look in U. S. Army Infantry Divisions 1943 - 1945, Volume 1 - Organization, Doctrine and Equipment by Yves J. Bellanger published in 2002. If you refer to the chapter on Infantry Heavy Weapons Companies the TO&E 7-18 lists all of the different ammo bags issued and the quantities by person. A hint is that the majority are issued to the MG section.

General Apathy
There is a Mark Twain quote that echoes that sentiment, but alas, can't think of it now.

Hi 12thengr.

" but alas, can't think of it now" that's funny I have never heard that quote attributed to Mark Twain before :lol::lol::lol:

apologies only ribbing you ;)

ken

General Apathy
I found the answer. Look in U. S. Army Infantry Divisions 1943 - 1945, Volume 1 - Organization, Doctrine and Equipment by Yves J. Bellanger published in 2002. If you refer to the chapter on Infantry Heavy Weapons Companies the TO&E 7-18 lists all of the different ammo bags issued and the quantities by person. A hint is that the majority are issued to the MG section.

that's funny in post # 11 I mentioned an old sage and along comes another one, Hi Craig great information. :thumbsup:

ken ;)

craig_pickrall

Hi Ken, my wife uses sage for cooking sometimes. Is that the same thing?

General Apathy
Hi Ken, my wife uses sage for cooking sometimes. Is that the same thing?

Hi Craig, I believe it could be, is it old and dried out :pinch: :think:

ken :lol:

General Apathy
Yeah I think it is.

well Craig, I reckon I could help your wife's cooking, I might just have some younger variety of it over here. -_-

ken

Garandomatic

Is it the one that goes (roughly) "When I was 14, I couldn't believe how stupid my father was, but when I turned 21, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in 7 short years"?

craig_pickrall

She is Scottish. Is it allowed for you British youngsters to associate with them? I never can remember who you get along with and who you can't get along with. She is younger than you too so I'm not sure how that will work.

A Normandy 82nd vet (para) told me that he had trained as a BAR gunner pre-Normandy in the UK, qualifying as EXPERT and firing "a coupla thousands rounds" in the process. Now the BAR was not to be found on the Para Inf TO&E, as it was "un-jumpable" (NOTE: Later proven untrue by the 11th Abn Div, at least). BUT he explained that BARS were dropped in unassigned/spare/free-to-a-good-home equipment bundles and he actually had/used one such. He also stated that each such BAR came with a belt of 12 mags AND a GP ammo bag packed with more mags. He thought there were 15 or 16 mags in the GP bag and noted that it was "like hauling an anvil around"; he ditched the bag and wore the belt only.

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me how many BAR mags will fit in a GP ammo bag?

A Normandy 82nd vet (para) told me that he had trained as a BAR gunner pre-Normandy in the UK, qualifying as EXPERT and firing "a coupla thousands rounds" in the process. Now the BAR was not to be found on the Para Inf TO&E, as it was "un-jumpable" (NOTE: Later proven untrue by the 11th Abn Div, at least). BUT he explained that BARS were dropped in unassigned/spare/free-to-a-good-home equipment bundles and he actually had/used one such. He also stated that each such BAR came with a belt of 12 mags AND a GP ammo bag packed with more mags. He thought there were 15 or 16 mags in the GP bag and noted that it was "like hauling an anvil around"; he ditched the bag and wore the belt only.

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me how many BAR mags will fit in a GP ammo bag?

well, im glad atleast someone had some worth while info that didnt turn into a joke. Thanks Andrews

And im not as young as you make me out to be honestly, i just dont feel the need to write a college essay on a militaria forum, which i go on and enjoy during leisure time.

Eric