Large Lot

Guest roadhustler63

Guest roadhustler63

Hello,

FNG here. I just bought a carload of US uniforms fromWW2 through the 50's. I am asking the salts on here for help in identifying a few. The Male Khaki is date 1945 and the female uniform is tailor made with no sizes or dates. The green utility type Army Jacket has no interior markings at all. What are these?

Thanks in advance

Jason

post-1954-1194205967.jpg post-1954-1194206021.jpg post-1954-1194206085.jpg post-1954-1194206117.jpg

post-1954-1194206182.jpg post-1954-1194206207.jpg

post-1954-1194206229.jpg

post-1954-1194206313.jpg

Welcome aboard to another "Jason" LOL. The male khaki uniform while dated 45, with that custom ribbon bar shows Korean era service, since the NDSM is a Korean era award. I'd venture to say that the uniforms belonged to a husband/wife, or something, just because of the same unit patches (European Communications if I remember right) on the left sleeve.

It's a nice set, like those khaki Tech Sgt stripes too!

Guest roadhustler63
Welcome aboard to another "Jason" LOL. The male khaki uniform while dated 45, with that custom ribbon bar shows Korean era service, since the NDSM is a Korean era award. I'd venture to say that the uniforms belonged to a husband/wife, or something, just because of the same unit patches (European Communications if I remember right) on the left sleeve.

It's a nice set, like those khaki Tech Sgt stripes too!

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Jason

Stinger Gunner USMC

The patch on the Right shoulder of the female uniform is Ryukus "Okinawa" Command. The patch on the left shoulder of both khaki uniforms is for European Command Zone established 1947. It merged the SHAEF and other smaller commands into one combined unit. The blue on the left represents the US and its allies, in the west while the Red on the left represents the communist forces of the east Hope this helps. I'd love to see photos of the rest of your haul! You have any more questions let me know!

Actually, the correct name for the red/white/blue SSI is Communications Zone, Europe.

Go to: http://usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm

On the red (left side), scroll down to COMZEUR & click. It has an excellent history.

My dad served in Com Z, Europe in the mid-50s. Designated COMZEUR and activated in Jul 1951, it was the ultimate REMF unit. It was based mostly in France and responsible for supplying all of USAREUR in Germany. When the French threw the US out in 1966, COMZEUR moved to Worms, FRG and was re-designated TASCOMEUR in 1969. The red really had nothing to do with the Russians - rather it was the red of the good old red, white and blue.

"SHORT HISTORY OF TASCOM

By a recommendation from the Department of the Army, the present United States Theater Army Support Command, Europe -- an extension as of 25 April 1969 of the United States Army Communications Zone, Europe -- has in recent years celebrated its anniversaries as of 24 May 1942. However, it was officially established on 15 July 1951 as a major subordinate command of the European Command (hence its designation EUCOM COMZ) with headquarters at Coligny Caserne, Orleans, France; a Base Section (BASEC) with headquarters at La Rochelle, France; and an Advance Section (ADSEC) with headquarters at Verdun, France. COMZ's main ports lay in the Bordeaux-La Pallice area and its depots were scattered across France from those ports to the (former) US Zone of Germany."

Guest roadhustler63

Excellent info! Thanks folks. I have been on many sites and this has to be the friendliest group yet. Thanks for the help.

I know the picture of the OD Jacket is poor, but does anyone know what it is? Issued piece? Era? It is almost like a rough sweatshirt type of material. It has a Armor patch on the left sleeve (subdued) and a rampant stallion on the right (subdued)

post-1954-1194311239.jpg post-1954-1194311292.jpg

Regarding the OD shirt, you have a very nice Cold War item. I forget the exact nomenclature, but the heavy shirt is a Cold Weather Shirt.

As for era, I would say from the 1960's through the 1980's. This was a predecessor to the current Extreme Cold Weather System and Gortex stuff.

This could be worn on top of a standard fatigue shirt and under a field jacket or a parka. Or it could be worn instead of a fatigue shirt with some type of insulating garment underneath, like a cold weather sleeping shirt. Sometimes during "moderate" winter weather, you might see it worn as an outer garment.

These were typical of Germany, Korea, Alaska, Colorado and New York (oh yes... it gets quite cold at Ft. Drum!). They were issued to Active, Reserve and Guard units with cold weather missions.

Usually you do not find these with insignia. These were an organizational clothing item issued through a supply room rather than purchased. Often they were only worn with the name and US Army tape. I will guess that even with the lack of rank insignia, this probably belonged to an officer.

The right shoulder or "combat patch" is for the the 11th Armored Cav, and the left shoulder for current assignment is for the 1st Armored Division. I would guess this was probably worn in Germany circa 1980.

I believe the older ones were made with a high wool content. You will want to keep this away from moths.

Actually, the correct name for the red/white/blue SSI is Communications Zone, Europe.

Go to: http://usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm

On the red (left side), scroll down to COMZEUR & click. It has an excellent history.

My dad served in Com Z, Europe in the mid-50s. Designated COMZEUR and activated in Jul 1951, it was the ultimate REMF unit. It was based mostly in France and responsible for supplying all of USAREUR in Germany. When the French threw the US out in 1966, COMZEUR moved to Worms, FRG and was re-designated TASCOMEUR in 1969. The red really had nothing to do with the Russians - rather it was the red of the good old red, white and blue.

"SHORT HISTORY OF TASCOM

By a recommendation from the Department of the Army, the present United States Theater Army Support Command, Europe -- an extension as of 25 April 1969 of the United States Army Communications Zone, Europe -- has in recent years celebrated its anniversaries as of 24 May 1942. However, it was officially established on 15 July 1951 as a major subordinate command of the European Command (hence its designation EUCOM COMZ) with headquarters at Coligny Caserne, Orleans, France; a Base Section (BASEC) with headquarters at La Rochelle, France; and an Advance Section (ADSEC) with headquarters at Verdun, France. COMZ's main ports lay in the Bordeaux-La Pallice area and its depots were scattered across France from those ports to the (former) US Zone of Germany."

Okay... I always understood the "Blue, White and Red" to symbolize the tricolor of France (which is in the same sequence) with the white arrow referring to the movement of supplies and material through that country. The Fleurs de Lis also symbolized France. And yes, it was considered the rear echelon of the US Forces in Europe. I have an in law that still believes the best quarters they ever had were at Verdun, and was quite upset when DeGaulle made them unavailable by pulling out of NATO!

210px_Flag_of_France_svg_1_.JPG

• 15 years later...

Love the bit about "Peace and freedom in Central Europe had been assured...." Tell it to the people in Ukraine!

I wore a Com Z patch at Coligny Caserne from October 1956 to January 1958. I was an extra clerk (formally Troop Information & Education NCO) in the Head & Head orderly room, and I got along well with the exec, so I could count on a 3-day pass and a weekend pass to Paris every month. Before us, the caserne was occupied by German troops, and before them of course by French troops, including Marcel Proust about 1890 https://www.readingproust.com/orleans.htm

It was fairly pleasant service. French local did the cooking, serving, and washing up, so there was no KP duty. And Polish Labor Guards patrolled the caserne after dark, though there were MPs at the gate. I enjoyed talking to the Poles. The younger men had been recruited at refugee camps in Germany; the older men were war veterans. One guy had fought in the Polish Army against the Russians when they invaded on September 17, 1939; he was impressed into the Red Army after the Germans invaded in 1941; he surrendered to the Germans and was sent to Normandy to guard what became Utah Beach in 1944; he surrendered to the Americans and was sent back to Britain, where he joined the Polish Brigade of the British Army so was in on the liberation of Paris; and after a few years in refugee camps he joined the Labor Guards, which were therefore his fifth army, fifth uniform, fifth insignia in ten  years.

And yes, I was issued an olive green wool shirt and trousers as part of my field gear. I  had them during basic training at Fort Dix NJ as well. They smelled fairly rancid after a few months.

22 minutes ago, danford said:

Love the bit about "Peace and freedom in Central Europe had been assured...." Tell it to the people in Ukraine!

I wore a Com Z patch at Coligny Caserne from October 1956 to January 1958. I was an extra clerk (formally Troop Information & Education NCO) in the Head & Head orderly room, and I got along well with the exec, so I could count on a 3-day pass and a weekend pass to Paris every month. Before us, the caserne was occupied by German troops, and before them of course by French troops, including Marcel Proust about 1890 https://www.readingproust.com/orleans.htm

It was fairly pleasant service. French local did the cooking, serving, and washing up, so there was no KP duty. And Polish Labor Guards patrolled the caserne after dark, though there were MPs at the gate. I enjoyed talking to the Poles. The younger men had been recruited at refugee camps in Germany; the older men were war veterans. One guy had fought in the Polish Army against the Russians when they invaded on September 17, 1939; he was impressed into the Red Army after the Germans invaded in 1941; he surrendered to the Germans and was sent to Normandy to guard what became Utah Beach in 1944; he surrendered to the Americans and was sent back to Britain, where he joined the Polish Brigade of the British Army so was in on the liberation of Paris; and after a few years in refugee camps he joined the Labor Guards, which were therefore his fifth army, fifth uniform, fifth insignia in ten  years.

And yes, I was issued an olive green wool shirt and trousers as part of my field gear. I  had them during basic training at Fort Dix NJ as well. They smelled fairly rancid after a few months.

He might have liberated my Opa who was in a prison near The Hague in May of 1945.

Opa was liberated by a Polish unit that was serving with or next to a Canadian unit.