Petty officers rank badges in USN garrison caps

trubia26

^ That makes sense as it would be the same shirt, whether "service" and "working." Thanks, Steve,

Justin B.

From '86 to '90, I was stationed at Great Lakes. When I wasn't training recruits, I was teaching Company Commander School, and teaching these guys how to wear their uniforms correctly was part of it.

Steve Hesson

Weather or not some one wore a gold crow on the shirt or not, it was not authorized. The winter blue with tie was considered a service uniform, but not a dress uniform. As all that goes, I have seen guys including a Chief wearing gold crows on p-coats against regs. Just sayin'

Steve Hesson

Well, I'm gonna have to plead guilty on that one. I wore a gold-stripe crow on my pea coat for several years, although nobody ever said anything to me about it.

Well, I'm gonna have to plead guilty on that one. I wore a gold-stripe crow on my pea coat for several years, although nobody ever said anything to me about it.

And that is not uncommon. I had 14 years in before I ever even knew there were such things as "Uniform Regs". Until then, "stuff" was just passed down. Most people had no real idea of the details, and through the '70s and '80s, the "regs" changed so often, who could keep up? No one really knew what was right and what was wrong. Most of it was what was "commonly done". Like one forum member who was told that those fully embroidered crows from the '70s were "P-Coat crows". That was not really a reg, just something that became a "reg" by common pratice and some one saying it was so enough. No one knew for sure if it was or wasn't correct, so no one would say enything. And, we just didn't worry about tirvial things like that. We were too busy trying to put things back together after Viet Nam, and figuering out what to do with the Navy when the Soviets went home. Few people wear dress uniforms all that much any way, so it was just not a priority.

When I was assigned to teach the class on proper wear of the uniform and was given an up to date copy of the current (at that time) uniform regs, with all the pen and ink changes (a bunch of those), I was amazed. I remember getting hit at a personnel inspection becaust my Armed Forces Expiditionary ribbon was backwards. I never paid enough attention to those things to even know there was a right and wrong way to wear them (never noticed the red, white blue stripe down the center). Any way, after I got "The Book", that became my thing. I went into the archives and researched the regs. We had ahrd copy regs back to when they opened Great lakes in 1911, and a few older leather bound copies. And, boxes of period photos (would love to have access now). That was when I realized that there were "Regulations" and there was "Common Pratice", which was mostly due to no one actually looking at regs and the fact that the Navy makes changes constantly, so who can keep up?

When I went to my first ship after leaving Great Lakes, I went to the ships office to look at their copy. They had an old, out dated copy with loose pen and ink messages stuck in the covers. It just wasn't all that important, we were in the yards, undergoing a major overhaul and being fitted for LCACs, the guys were more or less in the same uniforms, so good enough.

The Navy has always been pretty loose in inturpreting uniform regs. Embroidered fancy work on the frocks and hats of the 18th, 19th century, liberty cuffs, personallized belt buckles, shaping your white hat to fit your personal style, all of that.

So, I'm just sayin'

Steve Hesson

The Navy has always been pretty loose in inturpreting uniform regs. Embroidered fancy work on the frocks and hats of the 18th, 19th century, liberty cuffs, personallized belt buckles, shaping your white hat to fit your personal style, all of that.

So, I'm just sayin'

Steve Hesson

Steve,

I was one of those sailors who played loosely with uniform regs. I always pushed the limits with my haircut...most people (including civilians) had a hard time believing I was active duty because of the length and style of my hair. In uniform, I always wore a cover (ball-cap) which helped to conceal the issue.

I busted my butt on active duty and aced my uniform inspections which probably helped the LPO/CPO and Div-Os look at the next guy more than me. :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

Hello! I have seen these rank badges in USN garrison caps, but never in WWII pictures...Do you know from when the petty officers can wear it in their caps?

This one is silver..

garrisoncap.jpg

But this one is golden..

hastajulio2010.jpg

Thanks!

According to Navy Regulations (2006) gold good conduct chevrons are NOT worn on the Winter Blue Uniform. Nor are service stripes. So, the Corpsman will not be putting them on this shirt.