WWII Mess Kit Spoon - Silver Plate - Question

summersdogs

summersdogs

Hello to all. From this weekend's haul, a WWI mess kit with what I'll call a "standard" type WWII fork and spoon. The spoon is silver (plate?) and moderately tarnished. It is unmarked except for the usual US on the handle. Was this spoon part of an officers mess kit ?

Thank you,

Lynne

Lynne

I've never heard of separate officers' issue utensils for field use in a mess kit. There were some utensils that were galvanized--likely with a high tin content coating--that can look a bit like silverplate and tarnishes a flat gray:

post-10420-1312240933.jpg

Later in the war 43-44 you saw a transition to stainless steel untensils. If you have some photos of your utensils it might help to ID them. HTH Tim

Hello to all. From this weekend's haul, a WWI mess kit with what I'll call a "standard" type WWII fork and spoon. The spoon is silver (plate?) and moderately tarnished. It is unmarked except for the usual US on the handle. Was this spoon part of an officers mess kit ?

Thank you,

Lynne

summersdogs

Hi, DeuceGI. Thanks much for the interesting information. I'll take a closer look at the spoon tomorrow. The "tarnish" on this one looks just like silverware that hasn't seen polish in a good while. I didn't know about the galvanized thing. Will post a picture as soon as I can.

Lynne

hi gang...does anybody know what cleaner ? to use on those ww2 tin plated steel KFS sets, to make them shine bright again...thanks ahead of time...vince g. 11B INF...

summersdogs

Hello, everyone. Here are some photos of the spoon in question. The "tarnish" is iridescent in places and shiny black in others, as silver tarnish appears. The metal, silvery portion as well as the tarnished areas, has an overall shiny appearance, not flat or gray.

Lynne

post-1405-1312295628.jpg

post-1405-1312295637.jpg

post-1405-1312295699.jpg

Great photos. It sure does look quite different from the tin-based plated utensils. Both then't tarnish colors and texture. I checked some of my reference books and didn't find any reference to silver plating. I'm curious if anyone else has any input.

Tim

hi summersdogs...i really don't think any G.I. messkit spoons were silver coated,they and field gear were very expendable/throw away...that said i think your spoon was an early tin-plated spoon and was heated/thrown in a fire to make the metal react that way...vince g. 11B Inf..