Chopper ride

cjohns

I think I found my new sled....

Careful brother, if you get any of that on you, it doesn't come off without a stiff scrubbing down to the quick, just look at Jon :)

Spathologist
That takes me back to the old -58 days, flying "unarmed and unafraid".

My -58C had Air-to-Air Stingers... :P

We just couldn't afford the missiles during the drawdown...

Spathologist
Careful brother, if you get any of that on you, it doesn't come off without a stiff scrubbing down to the quick, just look at Jon :)

It's all good. My CCR-5 is Delta-32.

My -58C had Air-to-Air Stingers... :P

We just couldn't afford the missiles during the drawdown...

I had a flat windshield -58C, you know, the ones where the rain would pool up and you had to fly out of trim to see where you were going. One of our ATAS -58s scored the first seagull kill on the east coast during missile live-firing. T'was a helluva shot, just a puff of feathers.

Cobrahistorian
I had a flat windshield -58C, you know, the ones where the rain would pool up and you had to fly out of trim to see where you were going. One of our ATAS -58s scored the first seagull kill on the east coast during missile live-firing. T'was a helluva shot, just a puff of feathers.

I hear seagull flatulence has a heck of an IR signature ;) That had to be a hell of a sight, kinda like Randy Johnson vs. the pigeon....

As I recall, a senior CW3 was selected to do the live-fire. He had a good tone on the decoy and just as he released the missile a seagull flew past and was instantly vaporized as the Stinger went through it. A one-in-a-million shot (much like the baseball vs pigeon). Somewhere I have video of our company commander emptying his Apache's 2.75" rocket pods into a berm 30 yards in front of the aircraft because he pulled the "fire" switch instead of the "laser rangefinder" switch. Good times...

Cobrahistorian
As I recall, a senior CW3 was selected to do the live-fire. He had a good tone on the decoy and just as he released the missile a seagull flew past and was instantly vaporized as the Stinger went through it. A one-in-a-million shot (much like the baseball vs pigeon). Somewhere I have video of our company commander emptying his Apache's 2.75" rocket pods into a berm 30 yards in front of the aircraft because he pulled the "fire" switch instead of the "laser rangefinder" switch. Good times...

Left=Loud.

and out in front!!! :w00t:

We were pretty sure our mission in actual combat would have been to mark the enemy target with our burning -58.

Although I'm a scout at heart, I'm not totally unfamiliar with the -64, that's me on the left a long time ago...

post-32676-1312552786.jpg

Well, things haven't changed, what is laying on the ground in front of you is the basic load for an Apache in Iraq now, no Hellfires and I think half dozen rockets. Don't need that evil war stuff when there isn't a war anymore.

Well, things haven't changed, what is laying on the ground in front of you is the basic load for an Apache in Iraq now, no Hellfires and I think half dozen rockets. Don't need that evil war stuff when there isn't a war anymore.

Wow, so basically it would be like flying an unarmed -58 again? Except with better avionics, climate control, and 2 engines of course. I do miss flying 'doors off' in the summer though, can't do that in an Apache.

Wow, so basically it would be like flying an unarmed -58 again? Except with better avionics, climate control, and 2 engines of course. I do miss flying 'doors off' in the summer though, can't do that in an Apache.

Pretty much. They are not allowed to do much of anything anymore. They are really a waste of asset anymore, literally, overpaid observer pilots anymore.

Pretty much. They are not allowed to do much of anything anymore. They are really a waste of asset anymore, literally, overpaid observer pilots anymore.

Back before they changed the TO&E for attack units we had guns, scouts, and a Hawk section. It was common in peacetime for the scouts and Hawks to get deployed on humanitarian missions while the -64s sat on the tarmac. I mean when enemy tanks are rolling in on you, nothing beats having a battalion of Apaches handy, but the rest of the time there isn't much for them to do.

Spathologist
Well, things haven't changed, what is laying on the ground in front of you is the basic load for an Apache in Iraq now, no Hellfires and I think half dozen rockets.

:twothumbup: