Forgotten Marine Corps memorial

boisbelleau

boisbelleau

As seen on a French WWI forum specializing in the AEF, there is a "forgotten" US Marine Corps monument in the Indre department of France. It is located in the town of Diors, a few miles south of the town of Issodun which many of you know about and for those who don't a snipet from Wikipedia:

"In 1917, the U.S. Air Service established its largest European training center, the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center, about nine miles northwest of the town. At the time of the Armistice, 11 November 1918, thirteen fields were in operation and well over 10,000 ground personnel, student pilots and instructors were located there. It was at that time the largest air base in the world. A single monument on Department Route 960 remains to mark Issoudun's part in the Great War.

The United States Air Service formally left Issoudun on June 28, 1919, almost eight months after the war ended. The sites of the former airfields have returned to their previous status as agricultural fields."

In and around Issodun a number of US camps cropped up, one of which near the town of Montierchaume held this identification marker:

post-5477-1312136481.jpeg

According to my sources it was restored in 1967, and moved to the gardens of the Chateau de Diors, down the road from Montierchaume where it lies today in somewhat forgotten state and slightly in disrepair.

boisbelleau

Continued from above:

Here is a most recent photo of the monument

post-5477-1312136814.jpeg

You can make it out but it could use some care. It is on private property but my sources tell me that the owner is willing to show it and would possibly accept help in bringing it back to life.

Therry

Shanghai Jack

Even though it's on private property, I would love to see it brought back to life. What would it take to accomplish this?

boisbelleau

There is interest in France to get started on this and other "forgotten" monuments. Even well known monuments are being refurbished by some associations.

http://www.alhimic.fr/?page_id=1593

I know they are willing to provide the manpower and the equipment, I know they are looking for support not only as donations but also with getting the word out.

The French are trying to bring back the memory of the AEF and this summer there were many small expos on the subject.

http://aefcollections.forumactif.net/t3793...u-3rd-aic#32381

Therry

• 2 years later...