Help finding out about these boats

all-bull

Hello,

I got some neat photographs in a small grouping, but can't figure out what correlation they have to each other. Does anyone know when or where this boat and landing craft and the zeppelin ZW-1 were all together at the same time in a jungle type place? I am trying to figure out if these were part of an exercise or what. The man in the lower right of the photo is wearing a SP armband. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot!!

post-2063-1312127572.jpg

Hello,

I got some neat photographs in a small grouping, but can't figure out what correlation they have to each other. Does anyone know when or where this boat and landing craft and the zeppelin ZW-1 were all together at the same time in a jungle type place? I am trying to figure out if these were part of an exercise or what. The man in the lower right of the photo is wearing a SP armband. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot!!

I don't see an airship in the photos. Also, ZW-1 was an early warning patrol squadron made up of 4? air ships. That squadron was out of Lakehurst but anything is possible.

LST 551 spent WWII in the Med, but participatede in some nuclear tests in 1954-55 in the Pacific.

CL-102, USS Portsmouth, was commissioned in mid-1945 and spent her life in the Atlantic.

"The Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships" (http://www.hazegray.org/) is a great resource for ship identification and histories.

Salvage Sailor
Hello,

This photo of the USS CHESTERFIELD COUNTY (LST-551) is circa-1965 as evidenced by the large sillouette numbering on her bow. It could either be during refresher training (note the beach marker panels) in Guam or Hawaii prior to deployment to Vietnam, or taken in Vietnam.

Also note the white nametape on the SP. This was commonly worn on USN OD green uniforms in the early 1960's.

• 1 month later...