WWII WAKE ISLAND MARINE - USMC Uniform Grouping

KASTAUFFER

This is a group to Platoon Sgt. Jay Nevenzel . He enlisted on 11/2/1939 in the USMC, the beginning of a long journey which would end with his liberation at Hakodate Japan in 1945.

He joined the 1st Defense Battalion in January 1940 as a Pvt. and would serve with them until his capture as a Cpl. on Wake island in December 1941.

His journey would take him first to POW camps in China and a transfer to Japan. Liberation in Japan let to his return to the USA where he stayed in the USMC until his discharge as a Platoon Sgt. in 1947.

There is a lot more research to do!

I basically acquired the uniforms he was issued after he was liberated in Japan and the duffel bag that held it all. You can see inside the sleeve of the unform that it once had Cpl Stripes.

MVC_002L.JPG

MVC_003L.JPG

MVC_004L.JPG

When he was liberated he was issued a set of US Navy whites until a proper set of USMC gear could be issued to him. He kept the whites as a souvenir.

MVC_006L.JPG

Various uniform pieces. Overcoat, shirts ( named ) , hat covers , belt ETC.

MVC_005L.JPG

The 1944 dated US Navy duffel bag with his name stencilled on it that held everything.

MVC_007L.JPG

This thread is dedicated to the defenders of Wake Island.

Jay passed away in December 1997 , 56 years after the fall of the Island.

Great story and thanks for posting real tangible pieces of history. The story of Wake Island's defence fills you with a sense of awe.

Marines, Marine Avation, armed sailors, tiny Army Signal Corps detachment, Pan Am employees and civilian construction workers replused a well equipped Japanes landing force without help. They could not stop the second landing.

It is worth noting captured Japanese documents pointed out that the Japanese were impressed with the Detachment's defense of the Island.

For some reason I found the Naval Whites issued to Sgt Nevenzel touching. I have read liberated POWs want to get out of enemy prison garb as soon as possible. So as the USMC is part of the Naval branch these Whites would do lacking USMC clothing, him keeping them all these years is amazing. We should not forget what happened at Wake, Guam and the P.I.s in Dec 41 early 42

Again Great Post!

Thats a Fantastic USMC Grouping you have got there belonging to this SGT

and also thanks for sharing this information with us on his Service.. Amazing :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice uniform and fantastic history !!

You need to lay off the Wake grouping and allow some of us peons an opportunity !! :lol:

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

Kurt Barickman

Kurt,

That is a really cool group :thumbsup: You have some really great POW items and groups.

Kurt Barickman

Thanks Guys! I will post any research updates I can find. I would really like to get a photo of this guy.

Kurt

• 7 months later...
Kurt Barickman

When asked what they needed on Wake, the commanding officer replied, "send more Japs!"

Great group to a real bunch of Pacific heroes.

Kurt Barickman

combat-helmets
This thread is dedicated to the defenders of Wake Island.

Jay passed away in December 1997 , 56 years after the fall of the Island.

Awesome grouping and dedication!

The marines had plenty of fight in them before the Army Commander told them to lay down their arms and surrender... :thumbsup:

Awesome grouping and dedication!

The marines had plenty of fight in them before the Army Commander told them to lay down their arms and surrender... :thumbsup:

Glad you like the group !

Commander Winfield S. Cunningham USN , surrendered the island after he decided that further resistance would only lead to what he felt were unneccesary casualties amoung the military and civilian defenders . There were more civilians than anyone on the island at that time. The civilians were building the airfields when the war started. The presence of so many civilians played into his decision.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...
Leatherneck72
Glad you like the group !

Commander Winfield S. Cunningham USN , surrendered the island after he decided that further resistance would only lead to what he felt were unneccesary casualties amoung the military and civilian defenders . There were more civilians than anyone on the island at that time. The civilians were building the airfields when the war started. The presence of so many civilians played into his decision.

Kurt

It's nice to see this group again. I love seeing it in such caring hands!

Brian