Unknown Painted Insignia on M1 Helmet

VMI88

This is an old topic, but I wanted to bring it to the top for any information new members might be able to provide. I haven't been able to positively identify the markings on the helmet despite some leads provided here. All components seem to be US made but the markings are still a mystery.

Thought it might be something Italian; but the colors are reversed, and they use inverted chevrons.

A wild guess might be Morrocco, or Maldives. Both are small, but have traditionally been US allies, trained with US forces, and received some aid. I have no idea if either used the M1 helmet, or if rank chevrons point up/down.

One other possibility: Niger

Seems remote, until you consider a few things.

-National colors/pattern match example.

-The US set up a supply program in 1983. (Lasted until 1996 & then recently resumed.) That was the same year we adopted the Kevlars & started dumping M1's.

-Used the M1 hemet (still transitioning to PASGT's)

-Sent 400 troops to fight with US forces during the Gulf War.

-Rank structure uses chevrons with point up. (2 chevrons in yellow/gold denote a Sgt.)

ColdWarRules

Either a Ivory Coast helmet or Niger Army helmet. If it were Mexican or Italian it would be red not orange. Best guess is Ivory Coast.

-Nick

• 1 year later...

Here's a a Mexican helmet from the 70s I found online with that Cockade on the front that I clumsily tried to explain about in this, one of my earlier incoherent efforts :lol:

Not the greatest of photos I know, we can't tell if the cockade is painted on, a decal, or an affixed metal one.

post-34986-0-04875300-1439217573.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just saw the recent post on this thread - thanks for the info on the Mexican helmet. I still haven't had any luck tracking this down. Hopefully one day someone will see this thread and know what it is!