Unknown USMC patch- please help ID

0bx

This is a wool patch with cheesecloth type back that does not glow. Does anyone have any info on what the patch is or how it was worn?

-Fritz

post-1466-1312043710.jpg

post-1466-1312043520.jpg

Looks similar to the Samoan USMC patch worn on the Lava Lava but I cannot say for sure. Looks like a Patch King version to me.

If you can crop the pictures and repost them, someone is bound to get a better ID on it!

This is not a WWII Marine patch. The Marines did not start using the single piece banner on top of the eagle till June 1954. This is the date that the official eagle was changed and approved by the Marine Corps. Before this there was a split or two piece banner on top the eagle. This is well documented in the US Marine Corps Publication on the EGA that was published in the 60's. So I would suppose this is a novelty patch made in the late 50's to early 60's, seeing that it looks to be all cotton. The actual patches made for the Samoan Marines are similar looking, but are different. If I get a chance I will take a picture of mine. The ASMIC Trading Post issue Summer 1994 has a picture of the actual patch for both the Lava Lava and the overseas cap. The original patches are gold on red felt and have NO banners, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no variations. I hope this helps to prevent someone from spending a lot of money on a novelty patch. - Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff. I have the Summer 1994 Trading Post you are referring to and there is no question that this is not a Samoan Marine patch for all the reasons you mentioned. I was just curious whether or not this type patch was official and whether it was actually used in any capacity or whether as you said it is most likely a novelty patch. One clarification, the patch is wool/felt rather than cotton.

-Fritz

Right, I meant the thread looked like it was cotton or rayon which to me makes it 50's or early 60's. I could be wrong, but I really do not think this patch was ever used in an official context. Marines quit using shoulder sleeve insignia in 1947, so it is not a shoulder patch. Marine aviation has continued to use squadron insignia, but it is none of these. So my guess is that it is one of many Marine EGA emblems that have been used since before WWII to the current day. Marines are extremely proud of their emblem and hence find a way to put it on most things that they own. Trust me, I have them everywhere. This could have been an emlem sold in surplus stores or an emblem used on sports uniforms, pt shorts, polo shirts or the red deployment jackets that were popular in the 60's and are still seen today? I have seen them often at military shows and they show up fairly often on ebay. Sorry I cannot give you any sort of difinitive answer, but I will look through some books to see if I can see this emblem being worn in any capacity. Anyone else seen it ever worn? Semper Fi - Jeff