Pictures of wings and pretty girls

pfrost

• 1 month later...
Actually, that is Don Gentile, not Godfrey

Mark

Yeah, I messed that one all up...first it was Don Godfrey, then John Gentile...etc. Trying to get it done too late at night. Must admit that I'm no longer 25-30, sigh.

Here is an interesting study of 2/Lt Robert A. Wellons, RMA. The Robins badge he is wearing was the first WWI wing badge I was able to acquire but it was later stolen when our home was broken into about 30 years ago. :(

I've always liked the picture, and fortunately had copies made before the thief struck. :)

-cp

post-4542-1251577338.jpg

This is my mom wearing dad's wings.

post-7425-1251548916.jpg

This is a great picture, I love it! You need to get it professional restored before it is totally lost, I think. Thanks for posting.

This has been one of my favorite pictures for a long time. I had to spend about 12 hours over 3 or 4 weeks picking through a ton of old photographs to get a handful of keepers. Of the 2-3 thousand of photos in 4 or 5 card board boxes, not a single photo had the name of the family. What I did find was a number of aviation cadets from the 1920's and some nice pictures of a B-26 pilots in the CBI.

I think that this young lady's father and/or brother was stationed in Kelly Field as an instructor or pilot during or just after WWI. Later she married a pilot who fly in the CBI during WWII. I never found out her name. But, on her sash is a very nice "Robbin's style" wing.

post-1519-1251588663.jpg

I think this is a family from here in Southern California, 3 brothers and a pretty younger sister. Imagine being the fella who wanted to take her out on a date and having to pass muster with her brothers! :love:

Another nice grouping of pictures, this time to a paratrooper who has no name! argh.

post-1519-1251588985.jpg

One of the other pictures. His mom is obviously not a woman to trifle with--nor his dad I would guess (in his best Zoot-suit1). As someone once said to me, it looks like she has a brick in her purse...ready to smack some Japanese or Nazis around. :packin heat:

Based on the size of the hands on these fellows, I always kind of thought they may have been dock workers down around San Pedro/Long Beach or farmers in the San Fernando Valley.

post-1519-1251589079.jpg

• 11 months later...
Veronica Lake with some air cadets

It is hard to imagine a prettier lady that Veronica Lake. I bet those guys were flying high.

GliderRiderMedic
It is hard to imagine a prettier lady that Veronica Lake. I bet those guys were flying high.

You've never met my fiancee. :thumbsup:

Patrick,

I've been looking for some connections through searches of the Hollywood Canteen but haven't found much that quite fits this thread. While I was a sailor at Long Beach during Vietnam someone came through looking for bodies to go up to the Coconut Grove for a lunch and stage show. I forget the sponsor, but recall the event as being pretty much a PR exercise. I suspect that has been something of a local staple in both LA and NYC during WWII, Vietnam, and perhaps Korea, designed to feed the press and gain some face time for celebrities.

I would expect to find more with Hollywood starlets, but probably just haven't found the right search terms yet. Once found, there may be a lot forthcoming. I don't know much about the AAF activities around the LA area, other than the large classification operation down at Santa Ana. Torrance was an AAF field, as was Mines Field (LAX), Long Beach was a ferry base, I believe--not sure about Burbank, Van Nuys, and Santa Monica in those days. There could be a trove of old photos from any of those areas.

PS

• 2 weeks later...
As much as I like collecting wings, I also enjoy finding those pictures of guys wearing wings. I ESPECIALLY like pictures of guys wearing wings with pretty girls (and sometimes not so pretty).

Here are a few of the photos from my collection.

This first one is of a service pilot wearing what looks like an LGB service pilot wing. The gal on the left has a USN cap badge pinned on her blouse.

Hi,

Very becoming dream girls and obvious sisters if not twins!

Cheers, Dave

BILL THE PATCH

here are some sweetheart wings that i picked up recently, to get an idea of what they actually looked like in color

post-11207-1282661911.jpg

Here are a couple of new wives wearing the wings of their new pilot husbands--looks like it may have been taken at one of the subsequent bases following the pilots' earning their wings. Pictures like these could have told a tragic story, but in this case I think the outcome was fine...they made it!

post-3515-1282697053.jpg

I just bought out a pile of photos and paper and here are a couple I have...

First, a Marine pilot who looks less than thrilled at his wedding...

img007.jpg

Next, a really handsome photo of an AAF Major and his wife. Looks like he had both PTO and ETO service, and ended up with an Air Medal for his trouble...

img008.jpg