Pictures of wings and pretty girls

pfrost

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Colonel Henry "Hap" Arnold with actress Mary Pickford circa 1934. Ms. Pickford is wearing a set of World War 1 pilot wings given to her by Arnold shortly after World War 1.

An interesting side note about Ms. Pickford is that she was the aunt of Don Chalif who wrote the book, Military Pilot & Aircrew Badges of the World [1870-Present], published by R. James Bender Publishing in 1982.

That's a great photo........ looks like they should be in a movie together.

Little Mary Pickford was Jed Clampett's favorite movie star (and Tom Mix of course).

cheers,

-John

• 2 months later...

I went to an antique store today and scored some good aviation photos. I have several of this guy. Here he is with his wife. He is unidentified however, in some of the other photos I have he does name some of his friends. I don't have a name for the girl either. I really like this guy. I hope I find something more about him. Will post more later! Also, I will be posting in the 1919-1941 vintage pilot wings thread as well. Cheers!

AirmanandhisGirl.jpg

• 2 months later...
bunkerhillburning

I'm pretty late to the party on this thread. Had I known it existed I would have posted the photo below on this thread rather than starting a thread in the paper / photo section some time ago.

A nurse knitting a sweater for her beau and she wears a WWI US Air Service pilots badge. Pretty good guess her man was a pilot.

post-64023-0-35598700-1368505610.jpg

• 8 months later...
rathbonemuseum.com

Well, she is not wearing a wing but she is wearing early air corps enlisted tech rank patches on her sweater. And she is loving that ice cream cone.

IceCreamCone.jpg

Well, she is not wearing a wing but she is wearing early air corps enlisted tech rank patches on her sweater. And she is loving that ice cream cone.

Looks like she is just wearing a regular AAF "branch of service", Corporal's chevrons with the winged prop under the stripes.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Just got this off of Ebay and it was ID'd a Lt. David H. Webb who was USAAF Navigator and the girl has the same Navigator's Wing he has.

post-17286-0-75579200-1416085897.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great picture and a nice clear shot of her wearing a Shreeve pattern wing.

Any idea when this was taken? She looks very young.

Great picture and a nice clear shot of her wearing a Shreeve pattern wing.

Any idea when this was taken? She looks very young.

1929, taken by photographer Ben Pinchot.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...