Stainless Steel (MIL-K) Pocket Knives

gunbarrel

I'm posting this information for future reference. Bayonetman, I started to post it under "Fake Alerts & Reproductions" but they are neither and I don't think that most beginning knife collectors check that topic. If you think I'm wrong, please, feel free to move the post as you see fit; you will not hurt my feelings :) But, as a matter of fact, I think that the blade posts under FA&R should be moved here for more visibility (maybe a sub-form?).

The topic knives are commercial (i.e. not military issue), limited edition knives by Camillus, although I know that some knives marked "U.S.M.C." were produced by Western. Whether Western was under Camillus supervision at the time, I don't know. These Camillus knives are model no. 1760SS.

The first knife is one you see a lot of. It's the one marked "U.S.M.C." Please, note that the real WWII Marine Corps MIL-K knives are marked "U.S. Marine Corps."

post-70-1311817305.jpg

In sum, these are neat knives, collectibles on their own merit. However they are what we call "fantasy" knives. They never existed in the military. One more thing. If you see one marked "NAHC," it's not some kind of secret U.S. government agency. It stands for "North American Hunting Club."

Hope this helps.

, although I know that some knives marked "U.S.M.C." were produced by Western. Whether Western was under Camillus supervision at the time, I don't know.

post-70-1311817305.jpg

Gunbarrel,

FYI Camillus bought the rights to The Western brand in 1991 at that time everything that was left of Western based in Colorado ended. Everything attached to the Western line was done at Camillus by Camillus employee's from then on to 2006 when Camillus closed their doors. I don't know for sure that Camillus would have marketed any MIL-K knives under the Western brand but I don't think so. I can run the question off at another forum where many former employee's of Camillus reside and check it out. Tom Williams is over there and he knows it all regarding Camillus's stainless steel MIL-K knives.

I have a Western blade marked Mil-K. They were obviously commercial as well as undated. In fact, Tom set me up with one right before Camillus closed, as I had asked him about them after seeing one in a shop in PA. I will try to get a picture of it now. By the way, those are some really sweet pictures you've been showing, GB. Wish mine were half as clear.

Here it is...

I'v also got some Case marked commercial Mil-Ks, but you've probably seen those before.

I have a Western blade marked Mil-K. They were obviously commercial as well as undated. In fact, Tom set me up with one right before Camillus closed, as I had asked him about them after seeing one in a shop in PA. I will try to get a picture of it now. By the way, those are some really sweet pictures you've been showing, GB. Wish mine were half as clear.

Here it is...

I'v also got some Case marked commercial Mil-Ks, but you've probably seen those before.

Military issue or not that's just cool! Earlier I went thru about a dozen Western catalogs 45 to 93 to see if I could find an example of one of these with no luck. Am I correct in assuming that this was a Camillus product?

Yes, factory direct from Camillus...I've still got the receipt, earlier than I thought...dated 4/25/03

It's a #W1760

Here's a Case...one thing that stands out on them is the brass spacers between the springs and the scales

post-11898-1311896968.jpg

post-11898-1311896991.jpg

Yes, factory direct from Camillus...I've still got the receipt, earlier than I thought...dated 4/25/03

It's a #W1760

I looked at the price sheets for 2001, & 2004 along with the catalog for 2003. All of them just list the knife as either a 1760, 1760p, or 1760bp. I wonder if the guys at the Camillus collectors forum can tell you more about the W1760 Western named MIL-K? Now I want one. :w00t: You know your just bad. ;)

By the way, those are some really sweet pictures you've been showing, GB. Wish mine were half as clear.

Elbertson,

Thanks, but I did not take these photos.

GB,

An interesting and informative set of posts regarding the commercial vs. issue knives.

Also agreed that they're very nice photos, as well!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Don.

• 2 years later...

Bayonetman,

At one tme you were considering combining all these MIL-K knife posts for reference. Is that still on your to-do list?

Just wondering, as I ran across this old post of mine.

Thank you.

The first knife is one you see a lot of. It's the one marked "U.S.M.C." Please, note that the real WWII Marine Corps MIL-K knives are marked "U.S. Marine Corps."

post-70-0-31095200-1380077070.jpg

• 7 years later...
Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

I just noticed that there is a "Marbles" reproduction of the MIL-K 818 4-blade utility knife now being sold.  As most here know, Marbles was once a revered maker of high quality knives, gun sights and other outdoor equipment based in Michigan.  I don't know if the original Marbles is now out of business or what, but someone in China is now producing a boatload of blades under the Marbles brand name.  Note that the original Marbles was never a producer of the MIL-K 818 knives for the U.S. Armed Forces.

This one appears in the photos to be well-made.  It is also dirt cheap.  On Ebay it is selling for a BIN price of $11.22, with free shipping.   Here is the link:  Marbles MR278 GI UTILITY stainless folding pocket knife / bail 3 5/8" closed NEW | eBay    To its credit the seller does disclose that the knife is made in China.

image.png

This one won't fool any knowledgeable collectors of USGI knives, but the uninformed who might be looking for a genuine USGI blade might be fooled.  

There are a couple of oddities I noticed.  Each blade/tool has the stylized Marbles logo on it.  The nail nicks of each blade/tool have some type of serration that USGI blades do not display.  And although the side is marked U.S. as the genuine articles are, none of the photos in the listing showed that China was marked anywhere on the blade.  As I recall at one time all imported cutlery was required to have the country of origin marked on the blade.  Has that changed?