A discussion about WWII era decals

397th

I'd like to initiate a discussion on something that I need a lot more info on: Decals on Liners during WWII.

How available were decals? Were they available in the field? Are most of them post war applications that career soldiers applied later?

They must have been available as Patton used them on his helmet liners but how one could determine a WW2 period applied decal and a 1950's applied decal I have no idea. Were they the same decals ?

I guess if anyone could have the latest and the greatest for his lid it would have been him. He was interested in his appearance.

I have two original WW2 era decals - one for the 34th Division and the other for the 2nd Division. The 2nd division one is the correct small size insignia - Not the bigger Korean war type.

The 34th Division decal came in a named grouping from a guy in one of the FA Bn's. I have posted pics on the forum before but didn't get any response.

Rich

Interesting topic guys.

I know that some WW2 insignas were made of papers, then glued on helmets and liners with an added coat of varnish for better holding. For example, they are on this forum several pictures of 104th Infantry Division liners with glued paper insignas. And the 3rd Armored division used small spearhead paper insignas as well.

I am not sure decals were available before the end of WW2 but I am here to learn, so let's read what other think about this.

Laurent M.

Interesting topic guys.

I know that some WW2 insignas were made of papers, then glued on helmets and liners with an added coat of varnish for better holding. For example, they are on this forum several pictures of 104th Infantry Division liners with glued paper insignas. And the 3rd Armored division used small spearhead paper insignas as well.

I am not sure decals were available before the end of WW2 but I am here to learn, so let's read what other think about this.

Laurent M.

I am so here to learn also. Great point. Acquired knowledge in this passionate hobby is our only defense against the VAST number of fakers. (Such a shame, because I think some real stuff gets maligned due to the 'faker paranoia'.)

Learn on.

Maybe we should first determine we are all using the same description of a "decal". When I hear decal I think of what came in model airplane kits in the 60's, a printed film which when soaked in warm water slid off and was then placed on the model (or any surface) and had an adhesive which allowed it to adhere to the surface. When I see "papers" I think of a design printed on paper which is cut out and then has to applied to a surface with a separate adhesive substance. Either of these could then be coated with a clear lacquer or sealer. Were the WWII period "decals" similar to the 60's decals but without the adhesive or were they cut out of a printed paper ?

Larry

They must have been available as Patton used them on his helmet liners but how one could determine a WW2 period applied decal and a 1950's applied decal I have no idea. Were they the same decals ?

Patton's helmet liners did nit have decals...hus insignia was painted on.

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for asking this question, I have been wondering about this for years.

I have a WWII M-1 helmet with a 44th Division decal applied to the shell. I have not been able figure out how to date the decal.

Rob

post-168-1311871175.jpg

Maybe we should first determine we are all using the same description of a "decal". When I hear decal I think of what came in model airplane kits in the 60's, a printed film which when soaked in warm water slid off and was then placed on the model (or any surface) and had an adhesive which allowed it to adhere to the surface. When I see "papers" I think of a design printed on paper which is cut out and then has to applied to a surface with a separate adhesive substance. Either of these could then be coated with a clear lacquer or sealer. Were the WWII period "decals" similar to the 60's decals but without the adhesive or were they cut out of a printed paper ?

Larry

Good point and question. Can anyone answer?

Larry

Hello Larry, I think we would like to know if those kind of printed film with adhesive on the back side were used during WW2 as we are sure that paper insigna (I use this word instead of decal) were used during WW2, both by individual artful soldiers or on larger scale by infantry regiments or armored divisions. Laurent M.

Decals were not common but they were definitely used during WWII - both printed in paper and the water slide type. Hold on and I will post some pics.

I have a Yuma Army Air Field gunnery school helmet, painted silver and with a large decal on the front. I believe a similar helmet is pictured in Mark Reynosa's book. I'm away on business now but if I can remember I'll photograph and post it.

Dave

Here's a pic of a WW2 "decal". In this case it appears to be printed paper covered in shellac. May 3, 1944 462nd Parachute Field Artillery Battalion, Camp Cable, Brisbane, Australia.

post-2064-1311973147.jpg

I have an original 11th Airborne with a decal on the liner. From what i can tell the type of decal is completely different from the 50s liners I have seen. The 50s i have seen are more like stickers the one on at least my liner looks more like a water or oil decal that you would get with a model car. where it would have to be wet first then applied.

Greetings: Here is my WW2 front seam, solid bail M1 helmet with a 3rd Div. DECAL

Best Regards

Zeke

HI, Gorgeous helmet. Is that a paper decal?

Here is an example of a 104th cut out and pasted decal . This one is on Colonel Bartholomew R. DeGraff's liner. Col. DeGraff was the chief of staff of the 104 division.

post-577-1312087925.jpg