WWII Lister bag

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Here is a piece of WWII field gear that I would think is a little less common, 1945 dated lister bag. It has all of the original ropes & hardware.

Rob

post-168-1311779618.jpg

craig_pickrall

Many years ago those were fairly common in surplus stores and usually in new condition. I never bought one and the other collectors I knew did not either. They were to large and most of us had no where to display them. I did see a lot of them go to Scout Troops and little league baseball and foot ball teams.

I would like to have one now but they are probably silly prices today.

Fixbayonets!

Hi Craig,

This is the first one I have come across in all my years of collecting. I found it at a local swap meet for $10, the dealer was happy to get rid of it & I was happy to take it off his hands.

For future reference, TM 8-220 MEDICAL DEPARTMENT SOLDIER'S HANDBOOK dated March, 5 1941, has information on how to go about using the lister bag to sterilize water in the field. Here is a photo from the TM.

Rob

post-168-1311801435.jpg

Many years ago those were fairly common in surplus stores and usually in new condition. I never bought one and the other collectors I knew did not either. They were to large and most of us had no where to display them. I did see a lot of them go to Scout Troops and little league baseball and foot ball teams.

I would like to have one now but they are probably silly prices today.

Actually, I was looking at getting one and unless you are wanting a WWII one, there is a guy that occasionally sells NIB lister's on eBay and I think I was gooing to pay $40 for it.

craig_pickrall

Thank you for the seller info. If I was to buy one I would want a WW2 dated version.

Lister bags, or "canvas cows" were, as mentioned, quite common in "the old days". Our re-enactment group had (has?) one but never used it because of its size and bulk. However, there was a smaller five gallon version with a single spigot that was much more usable for our purposes and would be much easier to display. Sorry but no photos. It was a backpack style. Never know where one will turn up.

Tom

Fixbayonets!

Tom,

I have never been involved with reenacments but I have used this lister bag for living history displays. The lister bag becomes one of the less bulkier items when compared to hauling wall tents, filed tables, field desks, ration & ammo crates, etc. One of the guys built a tripod for the lister bag, made for a great display!

Rob

Tom,

I have never been involved with reenacments but I have used this lister bag for living history displays. The lister bag becomes one of the less bulkier items when compared to hauling wall tents, filed tables, field desks, ration & ammo crates, etc. One of the guys built a tripod for the lister bag, made for a great display!

Rob

I will agree to you UNTIL you fill the darned thing. :D At 7lb/gallon they get real heavy real fast! I have never re-enacted but use the term generically - we do LH displays only. Our full display fills a 22 foot box truck, a 32 foot trailer and, if we bring the hospital, another box truck.

Anyhow, those 5 gallon units are much easier to deal with.

Tom :thumbsup:

I will agree to you UNTIL you fill the darned thing. :D At 7lb/gallon they get real heavy real fast! I have never re-enacted but use the term generically - we do LH displays only. Our full display fills a 22 foot box truck, a 32 foot trailer and, if we bring the hospital, another box truck.

Just to pick nits, water is 8.34 lbs/gallon.

Ray

Just to pick nits, water is 8.34 lbs/gallon.

Ray

Fixbayonets!

Tom,

Well I must admit I never filled it with water, just stuffed it full of blankets to give it a filled out look for display. Sounds like you guys put on one heck of a nice living history display!

Rob

Tom,

Well I must admit I never filled it with water, just stuffed it full of blankets to give it a filled out look for display. Sounds like you guys put on one heck of a nice living history display!

Rob

Our cook actually uses that small lister bag for water. He tried the big bag once and never used it again.

Our full display is gorgeous but, in truth, it is too big. With today's economy and gas prices, we haven't done it in some years.

Tom

• 5 months later...

I hate to bump such an old topic, but I REALLY want one of these for our WWII reenactment group. I'd even be able to use a postwar one. Anyone have a good lead? I already emailed the ebay seller for the one listed above.

• 4 years later...